whats everybody's faverite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    My Granny told me when she was young, there was no such thing as sweet corn. It was all just corn. She was the eldest of 11 kids and her stories about farming by hand and behind a horse were fascinating. I sure do miss her.
    My moms dad harvested his corn by hand........threw the ears against a bang board attached to the side of the wagon..........then he would shell it using a old crank sheller, we still have........cobs out the opposite end, and the corn out the bottom into the grain basket. Old seperator on the back porch to seperate the cream from the milk.........and STILL, next morning, a skim of cream has risen to the top of the milk.

Wood fired stove/oven........ben franklin stove......that and the wood fired stove only heat in the entire farm house. Water from the pump outSIDE the house. Same as the shitter..... several hundred feet from the house, back behind the hen house. we was special, it was a TWO holer........with the usual sears robuck catalog, or red corn cobs.........baths on the back poarch in the old gavanized tub........hot water from the kettle from the stove. Lots of old memories, my kids don't EVEN have a clue about !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I think the most important part of getting the best sweet corn is getting it the day it is picked. The sugars in the corn kernals start to turn to sugars within hrs of being picked. We have a few growers near my house, and they only sell it the day it is picked(usually sold out anyways). It is 10 times sweeter and juicier than the stuff in the supermarket or grocery store!
      If you have bought the bicolor sweet corn and it was chewy or mealy, its because it was 3-4 days old.
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

we have several growers around here, that plant in shifts..........so its always fresh during the sweet corn season, picked fresh daily, and sold out each day........and Dan is right, once its sweet corn season, NO sense to get it from the grocery stores, cause the fresh is sold on every gas station parking lot/corners.......they plant ACRES of it........if you didn't know better, you would SWEAR, it was all seed corn, just by the size of the fields...........this is why JB1 and his buddy, coming up this june or so, and taking back a pickup load of sweetcorn......its all sold already...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
        X