Sauerkraut started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eDJ View Post

If anyone wants to try some sweet Kraut Salad here's a recipe.

20 oz can (better in glass jar or plastic bag in refrigerator case)

2 oz jar of diced Pimento's

1 Cup each Chopped Onion, Celery & Green Bell Pepper

1 Cup Sugar

1/3 Cup of Cider Vinegar

2 tsp Kosher Salt or less to taste

1 tsp Caraway Seed

2 Tb shredded Carrot (optional...just for color)

In a medium sized saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar, salt, and caraway seed to a gentle boil and stir till dissolved. Add the remaining items and
    stir to mix well, then remove from heat. Allow to rest for about an hour.
    Transfer to a plastic container with a lid to seal it and place in the refrigerator to marinate over night. It can be served cold or placed out to
    warm up some so it will seem to be chilled.

I've made this stuff for years and always enjoy it. I've even made this on request as birthday gifts.
    Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
      Looks good!
      X 2 on the kraut salad, my Mother used to make it on the Holidays to serve with the turkey dinner.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
        This morning.
        I got Bubbles!
        Just wait until you start eating it...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

1. Has anyone here tried the vent air lock top? I saw it on Amazon, apparently has a vapor lock so that co2 can get out but oxygen can't get in. Fits all wide mouth mason jars. I was thinking how convenient that would be. Says you don't have to weigh the cabutch down then.

2. I never thought of adding beer, red pepper, etc to kraut, are there some items that you could add at the beginning and then others that you should wait until after fermentation?

I've only done one batch so far but want to do more! Looks good sqwib!!
          Mustang electric smoker
          King Kooker vertical gasser
          Charbroil silver smoker
          Earnhardt Jr smoker
          Brinkman smoke n' grill
          a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
            1. Has anyone here tried the vent air lock top? I saw it on Amazon, apparently has a vapor lock so that co2 can get out but oxygen can't get in. Fits all wide mouth mason jars. I was thinking how convenient that would be. Says you don't have to weigh the cabutch down then.
            Correct. I use my beer fermetation bucket with an airlock (filled with voddie for extra protection) for kraut. No need to weigh it down... let it go WILD :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I use a homemade airlock on my hot sauces but not kraut

started this batch in September
              You just put water in the hose and it acts as an airlock.

I recently ditched this container and switched to a wine bottle, it's a bit hard getting stuff in there but It's a temporary solution until I find a better option.

Comment

Working...
              X