• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supervman View Post
    Got a favorite Oil?

Bout how long to deep fry it?

And temp what, 350?

I'm gonna try this.
    I personally prefer peanut oil for all deep frying, but what ever your preference, I'd say would be fine.

375° to 400°, corn cooks rather fast, so cook just till breading is golden brown.

We cut them in half first, stick a skewer in the middle (like a pop cycle), bread, then deep fry.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      I personally prefer peanut oil for all deep frying, but what ever your preference, I'd say would be fine.

375° to 400°, corn cooks rather fast, so cook just till breading is golden brown.

We cut them in half first, stick a skewer in the middle (like a pop cycle), bread, then deep fry.
      Now THERE'S a cool idea! Hmmm maybe a bit of Smitty's in the breading... well as soon as I get some more heh!

Thanks Gunny!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Gunny!
        I don't feel like runnin to the store so I'm gonna use some heavier duty wood Chop Sticks I got from the Sushi Chick.

Comment

some neat ideas here... i got to try gunnys deep fried and kellys mayo/cheese out... thks for sharing!!! fresh corn on cob is almost as good as brussel sprouts(directed straight at seboke LOL)!!!
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Before I forget, we have also used a 1/2 flour, 1/2 cornmeal dredge also. When we do that, we put the flour, meal, and seasoning in a brown paper sack, add the egg dipped corn, shake, then leave in fridge over night. Really makes the flour and meal stick good.

Tom

Comment

we like to get em fresh when we can. cut the tip off to make it even then peel the husk back remove silk bring husk back around ear but removing some to expose about a .25 of the corn or smaller area. then soak in water.(Beer werks great also)

put on hot grill for 20 minutes turnimng every now and then getting good sear marks.

room temp butter, add too it (what ever you want) green chili pwdr, salt,paprika, minced garlic, chopped real fine cilantro.
              at the 20 min mark brush butter concotion on exposed part of corn remove bring to table rebrush with concotion.

then there is the ole fav. just throw it around the edge of the camp fire or fire pit moving often bring out when you think its done pull husk back try and remove silk, spray with spray butter, insert teeth..unless from oregon, nm then insert tooth..
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

wow...........no one likes it SMOKED?

i make up more than i need, and cut the corn off for meals later in the week...........finest kind..............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  some neat ideas here... i got to try gunnys deep fried and kellys mayo/cheese out... thks for sharing!!! fresh corn on cob is almost as good as brussel sprouts(directed straight at seboke LOL)!!!
                  Nice erain! Seboke has no idea what he's missing. I'm making a second batch of brussels. They won't bring me home until I do. More Abt's too. I'll try and hijack a camera. Couldn't convince them to put the corn in the smoker. Doh!!
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Who hasn't climbed a fence in the summer and eaten it raw right off the stalk?
                    me :-(
                    For some reason we don't seem to grow sweet corn over here, just cattle corn - and trust me - that's not good eating lol

Hell I've even got a mate who has a maize maze every summer - not good eating.
                    wonder if I could convince him to grow it out of sweet corn next year ? hmm.

Kelly's method looks interesting don't think I've ever cooked mayonnaise. have to find some sweet corn and give it a go :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      For some reason we don't seem to grow sweet corn over here, just cattle corn - and trust me - that's not good eating lol
                      Field corn as we call it... if you pick the baby ears, they are good boiled, simmered with other veggies or fried, and great pickled! But they gotta be only like 2-3 inches long.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You HAVE to try sweet corn. It's fantastic. Get your buddy to at least plant a few rows for you folks to try out. Then he'll be hooked.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Field corn as we call it... if you pick the baby ears, they are good boiled, simmered with other veggies or fried, and great pickled! But they gotta be only like 2-3 inches long.
                        Love the pickled baby corn. Use it in stir frys all the time.

Comment

I like it seasoned, wrapped in bacon then smoked.
                          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hell I've even got a mate who has a maize maze every summer - not good eating.
                            wonder if I could convince him to grow it out of sweet corn next year ? hmm.

Kelly's method looks interesting don't think I've ever cooked mayonnaise. have to find some sweet corn and give it a go :-)
                            CA, we grew feed corn and hybrid seed corn. We ate it when it was between 6 and 8 inches long. We knew it was good if you could pop a tender kernel with your thumbnail and the milk squirted out and was very watery with a slightly milky color. If it was thick and white, then it was too late. You have about a 3 to 4 day window, and then it's all over.

We ate that raw and cooked. If you get it when it's tender, you'd never know it was "field corn." In fact, most people buy it at the store not knowing the difference. It's hard for someone that has been around it their whole life to tell the difference.

Tom

Comment

CA, we grew feed corn and hybrid seed corn. We ate it when it was between 6 and 8 inches long. We knew it was good if you could pop a tender kernel with your thumbnail and the milk squirted out and was very watery with a slightly milky color. If it was thick and white, then it was too late. You have about a 3 to 4 day window, and then it's all over.

We ate that raw and cooked. If you get it when it's tender, you'd never know it was "field corn." In fact, most people buy it at the store not knowing the difference. It's hard for someone that has been around it their whole life to tell the difference.
                              My dad told me when i was growing up, when HE was growing up..........early field corn was BETTER than sweet corn........they would climb barb wired fences, stealing the farmers early field corn.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                                My dad told me when i was growing up, when HE was growing up..........early field corn was BETTER than sweet corn........they would climb barb wired fences, stealing the farmers early field corn.
                                We didn't have to steal it, but several rows behind our hog house had 0 yield.

My Granny told me when she was young, there was no such thing as sweet corn. It was all just corn. She was the eldest of 11 kids and her stories about farming by hand and behind a horse were fascinating. I sure do miss her.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X