Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack51 View Post
About 18 3/4
Thanks a million
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

This is the way that I use my Miller High Life Brinkman Gourmet...Also use a similar method in my stick burners for extended cold smoke cooking...

Now that I have a Weber kettle......Who knows what will happen...

As far as briqs...The Stubbs are better for a long slow burn...Very dependable...I get no off flavors from Stubbs or from the blue bag...
Old 02-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Fire Starter

walley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guruwalley_eye Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

I love the snake method all the way up here in Canada.

I use RO briquets only as I found i couldnt maintain a consistent temp with RO lump coal but the snake works well with the briquettes and i have never found any bad smell or taste in the food.

Its threads like this that have taught me so much about how to use my kettle and water smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley_eye View Post
I love the snake method all the way up here in Canada.
I use RO briquets only as I found i couldnt maintain a consistent temp with RO lump coal but the snake works well with the briquettes and i have never found any bad smell or taste in the food.

Its threads like this that have taught me so much about how to use my kettle and water smoker.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup the snake method is tried and true
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley_eye View Post
I use RO briquets only as I found i couldnt maintain a consistent temp with RO lump coal
Most “bricks” use a nitrate (usually sodium) as an “Ignition aid” Where lump forms are very pure carbon. This may account for the smell I appear to be sensitive to.

Me an’ nitrates have a history y’see..
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

My opinion on lump/snake situations is that the random shapes of the lump charcoal don't always lend themselves to continuing the ignition process around the grill... I need a beer...
Old 02-26-2017, 05:18 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
My opinion on lump/snake situations is that the random shapes of the lump charcoal don't always lend themselves to continuing the ignition process around the grill... I need a beer...
And that’s part of it too. I have made it work, but you have to “arrange” every hunk for max contact...and then “fill in the gaps” with smaller chunks.

Hmm maybe a hybrid mix of brick and lump...?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
And that’s part of it too. I have made it work, but you have to “arrange” every hunk for max contact...and then “fill in the gaps” with smaller chunks.

Hmm maybe a hybrid mix of brick and lump...?
I have done this several thymes with great success. I have also used just lump, butt as you said, they have to be "arranged"... ya' can't just dump it in a ring and light it.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Pit Master

tenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To All
tenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To All

Pretty much the only way I smoke ribs or any short cooks on the kettles. I find for my use it saves me on fuel and wood. You can pretty much dial in when you want the smoke to stop. I find myself only using 2 or three chunks on most stuff. I can get more than one cook out of a full ring as well. I also use it to add smoke flavor to things I am grilling. I am more apt to do that as there is usually at least a portion of a snake ready to be lit with the torch most of the time. A good way to add smoky flavor to burgers and such before finishing on the gas grill. If I'm doing a long cook on a kettle I use Mikey's basket. Not because of the burn time as the snake actually burns longer at the 225 temp I like to cook at in my experience. The offset placement of the weber lid exhaust is the reason. When I go to spritz my ribs I also rotate the exhaust opposite from wherever the snake is burning. When I am doing a shoulder/butt I like to set and forget so I use the basket. One top off when I wrap at the stall gets it done. Sorry if that's too much info. I don't get to post much so I am getting my thoughts in when I can.
22.5" Weber Silver
UDS X 2
Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
Char Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
Charbroil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
5" AMZNPS
Vortex x 2
Walmart gasser for Mrs Bee.
Maverick ET 73
Maverick ET 732
Maverixk Pro Temp instant read thermometer
Pitmaster iQue 110
Old 11-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Nice bump Fish.......fer a Codswallop! I was just trying to explain it to a friend, this is much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
This is just an older thread, bumped it cause there was some recent threads with questions aboot cooking on kettles for longer times and lower temps. Just thought it might help some folks oot..... Never tried it on Gator though...
Naa, ya don't need a snake method fer Gator, ya just need 4 quarters, they done!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Cookin with fire

Whoa...I didn't know we could still say gator around here
Old 11-28-2017, 09:38 PM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Whoa...I didn't know we could still say gator around here
As long as you don't use a boil-in-a-bag it's fine...
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Cookin with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
As long as you don't use a boil-in-a-bag it's fine...
I'm not allowed to even talk about that anymore

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Charcoal Smokers