July Garden Update w/ No Heat Jalapenos and some Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July Garden Update w/ No Heat Jalapenos and some Tomatoes

Now before anyone asks the question I always get "Why would you grow peppers with no heat?" I'll explain.

One reason is my older Sis is a wuss when it comes to heat so I grew these for her to eat.
    Second reason is chipotle. An amazing flavor but using too much can overpower a dish with heat so with NH jalapenos I can get more chipotle flavor without too much additional heat

First batch of no heats I picked off. Have plants from new seeds and some from seeds saved from last year, the more you save seeds the better plants will do as they become accustomed to your local weather so theoretically every year the plants should grow better and better.

Figured since I had the camera out I would go snap a few pics of the garden.

My out of control pumpkins that took over the compost pile

Bell peppers coming along nicely

Charentais melon plants (such an amazing tasting and extremely fragrant melon)

Tomatoes, starting to finally reach top of the cages

Super Sweet 100's

Delicious

Burgess stuffing tomato

Then when checking on a few that I have in pots in the side yard I was shocked to find a nice ripe Rutgers/Ramapo tomato.
    A New Jersey heirloom that was "rediscovered" about 5 years ago.

There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

All looking good Jim, especially that Rutgers/Ramapo
    sigpic

Comment

Nice Jim, real nice. Gotta love the Jersey tomatoes. I'm picking some sweet cherry tomatoes at the moment, still waitin' on the big guys but we're close. Nice photos dude.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Looks great Jimmy....
        sigpic

Comment

Looks great,Jim.
          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Id eat that tomato like an apple!!

Comment

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting my garden out this year. I only put out 2 tomatoes and 2 peppers. Your garden looks great!
              Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

good lookin maters.....how does the NH japs taste? the reason i ask is when i get a jap that does not have a bite it taste sorta like a green bell but better (i don't care for green bells). when i get a great tasting jap it has another flavor along with the heat. there is a split second in between "pepper" flavor and heat. in that second there is a flavor that i cannot discribe but it is only there in hot japs.....i don't get it in habs, hatch greens or other peppers. there is a yellow that we have here that sorta has it when they are "good" but that is about it.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  good lookin maters.....how does the NH japs taste? the reason i ask is when i get a jap that does not have a bite it taste sorta like a green bell but better (i don't care for green bells). when i get a great tasting jap it has another flavor along with the heat. there is a split second in between "pepper" flavor and heat. in that second there is a flavor that i cannot discribe but it is only there in hot japs.....i don't get it in habs, hatch greens or other peppers. there is a yellow that we have here that sorta has it when they are "good" but that is about it.
                  Completely agree that with japs the heat is kind of an essential addition to the flavor of the pepper and are somewhat similar to a bell pepper when eaten raw. Cooked though the flavor changes, ABTs and chipotle have much closer flavors to the real kind.
                  The no heat habaneros I love, such great flavor to them that you usually miss with regs.
                  Also can't make sofrito without no heat habs (aji dulce).
                  There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                    The no heat habaneros I love, such great flavor to them that you usually miss with regs..
                    those came about so more people can enjoy what i call "floral" notes. some are just too hot to get the full flavor profile. and i agree on the sofrito....
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                    X