Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, innovative as usual and nice looking cook Scott!
    What didn't you care for with Stubbs?
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
      Interesting, innovative as usual and nice looking cook Scott!
      What didn't you care for with Stubbs?
      Marty, to me the smell of Stubbs while lighting smelled off, or strong? Maybe just not used to it? Finished cooks tasted fine

Maybe I need to try it again?
      sigpic

Comment

Yea I have to agree Stubbs starts off smelling horrid but then mellows out once it settles in

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Used Stubbs for my very first smoke, didn't mind it at all. Didn't notice any off-smell when first lit, and the end result was great. But lately using apple or hickory or mesquite, had very good luck with JDs whiskey barrel chips.
          Now when I use K, I notice a different taste. Also there was much more ash. So I am now using RO since that's what's available unless I was to order online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and fat fingers.
          Charbroil American Gourmet Deluxe Offset

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FireFighter431 View Post
            Used Stubbs for my very first smoke, didn't mind it at all. Didn't notice any off-smell when first lit, and the end result was great. But lately using apple or hickory or mesquite, had very good luck with JDs whiskey barrel chips.
            Now when I use K, I notice a different taste. Also there was much more ash. So I am now using RO since that's what's available unless I was to order online.
            Yer learning I see Try this.... use some oak chips forthe JD, Mabe toss in a teaspoon of sugar in the colas twice during the cook... and report back.

A bag of Kingsford ash weighs about half as much as the bricks!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Well...keep at it, man. We ALL learn from you :{)
              Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              We all learn together. Its really pretty cool that on this site, there is a pretty "tight" group that has been together for several years going back to a different forum ..... It seems that posts go in "waves" and a lot is learned as we go through these "waves". Like burning methods, Tri Tip, Tatonka Dust, canning salsa, etc..... Love to learn and hope to inspire others to try stuff.
              Thats what i am talking about
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but why do you do the reverse snake? Couldn't you just add to the end of the snake to continue going clockwise.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  This may be a dumb question, but why do you do the reverse snake? Couldn't you just add to the end of the snake to continue going clockwise.
                  Reverse snake kinda sounds cool

Just trying to keep the heat/fuel in the indirect area, instead of continuing it to be directly under the brisket-ribs-butts, etc..... I guess you could, butt I think moving the meat away from the heat/fuel source wood be advised if you chose to do so
                  sigpic

Comment

Scott, that is a great method for longer cooks. Nicely done and thanks for constantly bringing it!
                    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita
                    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                      Scott, that is a great method for longer cooks. Nicely done and thanks for constantly bringing it!
                      This is just an older thread, bumped it cause there was some recent threads with questions aboot cooking on kettles for longer times and lower temps. Just thought it might help some folks oot..... Never tried it on Gator though...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        This is just an older thread, bumped it cause there was some recent threads with questions aboot cooking on kettles for longer times and lower temps. Just thought it might help some folks oot..... Never tried it on Gator though...
                        atta boy "smartassdaddy"!
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Thanks for the original post Fishman. We got a weber a few months ago and really been enjoyin it. I'll have to throw on a butt and try your snake method!
                          sigpic

Comment

Sheesh, i musta been walleye fishing when this was first posted cause i never seen it before. Good bump Scott! I too will prolly give this a shot.
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the bump fishawn, I will have to try this some time with a butt I think, going to smoke turkey tomorrow using the bank coals to one side.
                              sigpic
                              Yoder Loaded Wichita
                              Maverick ET-732
                              Weber Performer Platinum

Comment

For what it's worth I tried this with K blue and it worked great, it also worked great with Stubs and R O briquets. When I tried it with R O lump and Dragon breath lump it didn't want to stay lit as it went along, tried different variations of opening the dampers and it just didn't seem to work very well. Lump works great when I light it up with the torch and stays nice and hot. On my longer cooks I have gone back to briquets and they seem to work a lot better.. my .02... hope this helps... I have also banked the briquets on either side and lit opposite ends on either side and that also works well.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just trying to help...
                                Attached Files
                                God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                                Weber Performer Gold
                                Masterbuilt 26" twins
                                Big Chief Electric smoker
                                Brinkmann barrel smoker
                                LEM sausage stuffer
                                Cabela's pro HD grinder
                                Maverick ET-732
                                ThermoWorks Thermapen
                                GrillGrates

Comment

Working...
                                X