No announcement yet.

Surprise pumpkins kicking a** and the first "stinky baby"...Alex, it has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise pumpkins kicking a** and the first "stinky baby"...Alex, it has begun

Last year I was doing an experiment with the garden where I had my compost pile (kitchen scraps and a load of chopped leaves) sit over the Spring, Fall and Winter building it up and turning occasionally then this year I moved the pile and planted where it sat.
    Besides the soil enrichment that goes on as the pile breaks down and seeps into the dirt I also had the added benefit of not needing to till the area which is really bad for the earthworms, microorganisms and even environment.
    I do all organic gardening and try to be as green as possible.

Anyway, the pile wasn't quite high enough so it didn't heat enough to break down some seeds properly and after I moved the pile so i could plant I noticed some pumpkin seeds had sprouted from the Halloween decorations last year.
    I was going to kill them off because plants growing in compost suck so much nitrogen out of it that a lot of times they are all show and no money but I let them go and now they are doing great and loaded with fruit so unless they get diseased I will let them go until Fall.

Now that our green tip of the day is over with the show can begin...

Out of control pumpkins. Medium sized so should get 3-4 per vine

Horrible picture but this is the area where I did the no-till method and have peppers planted.
    They are a good 2-2 1/2' tall
    Bell, No heat jalapeno, Jalapenos growing.
    I know, "why grow jalapenos if no heat?"
    For the same reason I grew habaneros with no heat, the flavor without the heat.
    Habs for sofrito and japs for wuss Sister who can't take heat AND for more chipotle flavor without too much heat in a dish.

Tomatoes doing great, 3-4' high average and loaded with fruit

And this is the pic meant for Alex and every other member who sees this and lives in the North East and however far out they have now spread this year.
    Was watering a few peppers I had left in case I need to replace any garden ones (which I do cause a damned mole clipped the roots of one of my japs).
    A baby brown marmorated stink bug...
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

yep..nice stuff jimbo....as usual....kileed me 6 today...

keep dig in brother....

Comment

Nice garden already! Man dem bugs be UGLY!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Everything looks great FIU!
        My maters aren't far behind yours but yours deff are bigger. Nice work!

Dave

Comment

Man...Lookin good! Stinky Bug...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Awesome! Good luck with the stinkers!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Looks real good, nice maters!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Killed a dozen stinkers last night....They really blend into the cages well....I have tons of fruit on and this is war...

Comment

have not seen one here yet but i looked em up on net and says 33 states are now infested or at very least been sightings, minnesota included. seems the only states note affected are the mountain states(rockies), and the plains states adjacent to the east of the mountain states... as of last fall 8 more states been added to the list.... Arizona, Iowa, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin... so it seems they are coming from both coasts...

but dont fret guys, we been dealing with invasive pests for a long time too, plants too. eurasion milfoil in our lakes, zebra missels and gobys in our great lakes and other waterways, the pine bark beetle and the asian lady beetle(stinky buggers too)... this globalization thing, causing alot of probs elsewhere as well. dang forgot to mention those flippin flying carp working there way north...

good luck catchin them bugs!!! dont need another up here...

oh yeah nice garden Jimbo... looks just like mine. NOT!!! we are way behind up here, even the farmers corn, they say knee high by the 4th of july. i dont think it make it this year...
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Nice looking garden, looks good

Comment

Awesome garden! Those stink bugs look like the could be aliens.

Comment

Working...
                      X