Grass help needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass help needed!!!

Hey guys, some of you know that we purchased 70 acres of forest land last December. We had one area that was clear and last week we had some bulldozer work done and expanded the field. We now have about 2 acres that we want to sow some kind of grass seed but we have no idea what kind.

Someday...and I mean someday FAR away, we may have horses or other animals and we've been told that any kind of fescue is not good for mares. So, does anyone here have any opinions on grass types? Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about. I appreciate any and all input on this!

BEFORE PICTURES:

AFTER:

Bulldozer man also made us a road into the forest and this is where we will be moving our camper very soon!

Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

All I know is when I first saw the title to the post I was waiting for Fire it up to respond.

That said if the idea is for horse how about Alfalfa, or Triticale?

And OMG what a beautiful looking area.

Comment

I can only answer from my experience, and my locality but these would be good choices up here. I would plant a combination of orchard grass, smooth brome grass, and some variety of wheat grass, intermediate, slender or westen wheat grass. Those would all provide good ground cover, and mature into excellent forage grasses down the road. I would also consider adding a legume into the mix, alfalfa or clover. These establish themselves quicker, and provide a nitrogen fixing source for the grasses to thrive on. They could be a potential problem down the road if horses were to eat too much of it, as far as founder goes. But you could easily monitor that. I would also check with a feed supplier and or an extension agent for what would work locally the best.
      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

I can't help you with the grass, the stuff we grow down here won't grow up there.
        What a pretty place, wish...someday! Did the trailer come with it? Is the still hiden behind the trailer?
        There HAS to be deer and turkey there, very cool!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I agree to check with your local extension to see what works best for your area, Those folks in Kentucky gotta know something about what works for horses.
          Keith

Comment

Sorry Becky, can't help with the grass question, but I had to tell you how stunning your property is. WOW!!!! Just beautiful!

Comment

Maybe plant some of the Food Plot Mix stuff they sell at Bass Pro.
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Thanks, Everyone, for the opinions!

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                All I know is when I first saw the title to the post I was waiting for Fire it up to respond.

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                I can only answer from my experience...
                Thanks for your opinion, MP! I hope you're feeling better this week!

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                Did the trailer come with it? Is the still hiden behind the trailer? There HAS to be deer and turkey there, very cool!
                No, the trailer didn't come with it. We purchased land only...no city water in the area and it will be a while before we have electric. My parents gave us the trailer...they can't camp anymore so I gladly accepted it. Yes, there are lots of deer, turkey and coyotes in the area. Even saw a bobcat a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                I agree to check with your local extension to see what works best for your area, Those folks in Kentucky gotta know something about what works for horses.
                Yeah, I didn’t think about the extension agents until after I posted this. D’oh!! If we ever get horses I will probably be too old to ride and take care of them.

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                Sorry Becky, can't help with the grass question, but I had to tell you how stunning your property is. WOW!!!! Just beautiful!
                Thanks, Cheryl! We have been loving it! Pictures do not do it justice. I'll have to post some of the cliff lines sometime. They are awesome!

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                Maybe plant some of the Food Plot Mix stuff they sell at Bass Pro.
                Thanks, IC, but the closet Bass Pro is 3 hours away. I hate that, too, because I love the Bass Pro shop!
                Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

Just ordered 150lbs of pasture mix for $200. After researching and seeing what the extension agent had to say, we decided to go with a mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, orchardgrass and annual rye. Going get it sowed tomorrow and pray for rain

Thanks again for all the opinions! They really did help!
                  Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                    Just ordered 150lbs of pasture mix for $200. After researching and seeing what the extension agent had to say, we decided to go with a mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, orchardgrass and annual rye. Going get it sowed tomorrow and pray for rain

nice mix....i use annual rye for my cover-crop in garden...

Comment

Sounds like a good blend to me. Hope it grows up real good for ya.
                      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

well being in kentucky i was gonna say bluegrass.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Going get it sowed tomorrow and pray for rain
                          Good luck on the rain...we cant get enough rain around here...Hot and dry...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Grass

With an area like that maybe some Indica Sativa Red Sticky Hicky

http://www.myspace.com/linescum
                            http://www.facebook.com/#!/Linescum

Comment

NICE PLACE Becky!! You have a real jem there.

Re the grass for livestock, I would take Mule's advice - a discussion with your local extension agent will get you the info you need for what will do best/work best on your lil'farm.

I also totally agree on being VERY careful with alfa-alfa-falfa! Typically not something you pasture on. If it freezes it can bloat a cow critter in a New York second...

Comment

Working...
                              X