A 'Growing' Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 'Growing' Question...

I'm getting a bit of a late start but hey, better late than never. Besides, here in Az. we have a VERY long growing season.

A week ago last Sunday I planted these little guys in one of those peat-pot mini hot houses. The instructions said it would take 10 to 12 days before anything would sprout, the toms started to come up in about 5 days with the japs a day or so behind. Here they are below, the left four 'beefmaster' toms, the right four jalepenos & bringing up the rear are the center four, habeneros.

Since I don't really have a suitable place in my backyard right now, I plan to plant these guys in large pots so I have a couple of questions for the growing experts here...

At what point should these little guys go to their pots?
    What is best for soil? I have a big ol' bag of Miracle Gro potting mix to use. Is it okay to use the potting mix alone or should it be a mix of dirt & potting soil?
    And when these little guys get bigger I imagine bugs may become a factor. What is the recommended potion for getting rid of them?

Thanks guys.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

You could use the mircale grow if that is what you have, I would mix some dirt in with it as well. I don't plant in pots really but the plants could get transplanted when they are 4-6" tall.
    When transplanting peppers you want to plant them even with the soil level but tomatoes cut off the lowest 2/3 leaves and bury the majority of the plant under the dirt. It will sprout roots wherever you put them under dirt.
    Don't know how sever of a bug problem you would have in AZ.
    Around here the worst is bugs attacking tomatoes and not so much with the peppers but hand picking is the best way to go about it.
    If they get severe try spinosad, if disease is a factor use liquid copper.

Alex can take it from here...

Good luck with everything!

Oh, and the reason they sprouted so quick is most likely due to good weather, the better the temps the quicker seeds germinate.
    I have had tomato seeds come up in as long as almost 2 weeks and as fast as 2 days.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

As far as bugs go around here I know we get tomato worms. As a kid my friends & I used to pluck them off of my dad's tomato plants & throw darts at them. Hey, we were kids.

Even though I still play darts from time to time, I don't think that is a practical solution.

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Saw a cooking show recently where they cooked them with a torch and added them crispy to a dish.
        Nasty little bastards though, well nasty looking and sure can spit at you!
        Luckily they aren't too bad around here. I usually find one or two per year and that's it but damn can they strip a plant down quick.

If you hadn't seen before here is a list of companion plants that help repel bugs or enhance growth of some plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

sigpic

Comment

ice, as long as they get partial shade you might be able to keep them 'til fall. you prolly won't get too much fruit from the maters since it will be too hot for the fruit to set but if you can keep them alive you will get some when it cools down. can you keep them under a tree or on a patio? i do romas and mine are still producing. as for the chilis they will produce more in the heat than tomatoes but as the 110's and 115's come around the fruit will rot from the inside......the sun just cooks everything as you know.
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
            If you hadn't seen before here is a list of companion plants that help repel bugs or enhance growth of some plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Cool. Thanks. Bookmarked it. Gotta love this new fangled thing called the interwebs.
            Looks like I can add a little basil to the mix.

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Good luck on your garden Ice..... I got some stuff that is doing OK in pots on me back deck.... Finally starting to get some sun & heat here in Washington.... Last Bell Pepper I saw at the store was $2.79.... not per pound, per pepper.... I have 1 plant that has about 12 peppers going on it from the size of a raquetball on down to about an eraser head..... Go for it.... In your climate, you probably can get just about anything you want to grow
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                ice, as long as they get partial shade you might be able to keep them 'til fall. you prolly won't get too much fruit from the maters since it will be too hot for the fruit to set but if you can keep them alive you will get some when it cools down. can you keep them under a tree or on a patio? i do romas and mine are still producing. as for the chilis they will produce more in the heat than tomatoes but as the 110's and 115's come around the fruit will rot from the inside......the sun just cooks everything as you know.
                Yeah, I have a big ol' ash tree in back where I plan to put them so they will get morning & afternoon sun but be fairly shaded during the middle of the day.

My --->
                Paul

Comment

then you should be o.k. depending on how hot our nights are this summer........
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm hoping for the best. I'd like to cookout plenty this summer

Comment

I'm hoping we actually get a monsoon this year to help the peppers with some humidity (at least as much as we get here).

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

Didn't even think about that Rob, good point with the heat.
                        I believe it is when it gets above 95 flowers will drop and have a hard time germinating. I know they have cold tolerant strains, never really noticed if they had more heat tolerant.

Be sure to let your suckers grow so the plant gets more shade and only trim enough so that they get airflow running through them.

Could always set a few air conditioners and fans out in the garden and let them run all day...

sigpic

Comment

haven't you heard......... it already started!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                            I'm hoping for the best. I'd like to cookout plenty this summer
                            i'm tryin' to get in as much as i can already............
                            sigpic

Comment

I grow all my potted plants in potting mix(soiless) and liquid fertilize fish emulsion and kelp extract....

Clay pots will stay cooler in heat then say plastic...

Iuse insecticidal soap on aphids,but like jim i just monitor and crush/kill bugs on plants..

Comment

Working...
                              X