Cutting back Dill......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting back Dill......

Question on my Dill plants. They are growing way faster than my cukes. I could opt to use seeds when it comes time to pickle, but would much rather used the dill heads. Can I cut the tops off of these in hopes that it will send new growth out to make new heads, that way giving my cukes a chance to catch up to the Dill? Any of our green thumbers know if this will work?
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    Question on my Dill plants. They are growing way faster than my cukes. I could opt to use seeds when it comes time to pickle, but would much rather used the dill heads. Can I cut the tops off of these in hopes that it will send new growth out to make new heads, that way giving my cukes a chance to catch up to the Dill? Any of our green thumbers know if this will work?
    If nothing else freeze the cut off heads to use later. Not sure about if you can prune them.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Wished Dill would grow at me shack...Hate's the heat! Got 2 test plant's in container tryin to get after it...They likin the fish poo fertilizer...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        If nothing else freeze the cut off heads to use later. Not sure about if you can prune them.
        Thats a great idea if it's just gonna get put into hot brine anyway!

Dave

Comment

Its as simple as cutting the heads and letting them dry...They still do the trick in the pickle solution even when dried...

They will NOT grow more heads to replace the ones you cut...Any that do come later in the season will be much smaller than the first...Save the first ones...and use them later...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I grow alot of dill and when the seed heads are just starting to open up on the blooms I cut them off, place them on a cookie sheet and put in the fridge. You should easily get another bloom. The key is catching them before they drop their seeds, but not before the seeds have developed. Literally one day could change the whole thing. The heads last a good while in the fridge, if your cukes are within a week or so I would go that route. Otherwise go ahead and let them dry naturally then save the dill seeds. It won't take too long to get another bloom if you fertilize them. Organic? Fish emulsion. Don't care? Something high in phosphorus (the middle number of the fert). Good luck!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X