No announcement yet.

Jowl Bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jowl is the pearl of the pig! So after reading some of the comments, I'll reply with you can use as you would regular bacon but I would at least try some just fried up so you can taste just the bacon. It's better than regular bacon, I don't know why but it is. It seems that the fat is different to me.

For those looking to find some you have to friend up a butcher. When I used to order my bellies I would ask for the jowls. Other than that I have never ever seen jowls available. I originally got to make guanciale but I couldn't hang it in the cellar for a few weeks. Just didn't seem right to me. I now have a wine chiller and I might just try this again for that. Here is a link to an old post when I was doing my original bacon experimenting.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...highlight=jowl
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Jowl Bacon?

Was Jonesing to try it, so onto the Blackstone it went. Was good stuff! Not much different than regular bacon IMO. Or at least the stuff I got.

sigpic

Comment

Fish, that bacon look a tad over. Ya might try it again and pull it a lil sooner....well your portion anyway!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks Great Scott !!!---

I agree---It tastes like Bacon (Belly more than BBB), to me.

Did you wring the Pig Slobber out first???

Just kidding!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Fish, that bacon look a tad over. Ya might try it again and pull it a lil sooner....well your portion anyway!

Must be the wife's plate..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Yeah, all slobber was gone. I thought it was aboot just right for me. Crispy, with some chew to it. Wife asked what I was cooking.... told her.... she rolled her eyes and went back inside I am going to order a bacon press
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X