Salted egg yolks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
    how bout trying it with those little quail eggs from H market?
    Good call, probably take much less time. I was thinkingof some double yolk duck eggs next time.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

I've had lots of differnt kinds of preserved egg in Asia and even the thousand year old egg made in Thailand.
      They are made by melding herbs and spices in clay then fresh eggs are wraped in the clay and left in the sun for around 30 days, then in the dark for another 30 days.
      The colour and flavour transfers into the egg making the yolk green and the white brownish black ,
      It looks pretty wrong and smells pretty pungent but they are used sparingly in things like papaya salad and not realy eaten in big amounts
      sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
        I've had lots of differnt kinds of preserved egg in Asia and even the thousand year old egg made in Thailand.
        They are made by melding herbs and spices in clay then fresh eggs are wraped in the clay and left in the sun for around 30 days, then in the dark for another 30 days.
        The colour and flavour transfers into the egg making the yolk green and the white brownish black ,
        It looks pretty wrong and smells pretty pungent but they are used sparingly in things like papaya salad and not realy eaten in big amounts
        for sure.... some of those items are pretty funky.

I am pretty adventurous, but not about to try the 100 year eggs, or balut.

I may pull one of these at day 20 to see where I am at. I dont want them inedible due to salt content.

Comment

Wow! This is awesome.I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. Sounds like fun!!!

Comment

gonna dip into these tonight to get a taste of the salt level.

fingers crossed.

wikipedia article on salted egg yolks:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salted_duck_egg

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
              gonna dip into these tonight to get a taste of the salt level.

fingers crossed.

wikipedia article on salted egg yolks:
              911 on speed dial?

Man - you got some stones... be sure to report back.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

how long you going to boil them for ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I was just wondering about how your "xsperiment" was progressin......

Comment

Looking forward to it Jimmy
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      how long you going to boil them for ?
                      Batch wasnt quite ready at 17 days(process can take up to 6 weeks). Egg smelled looked fine when i broke it.

Yolk will be almost solid when done, yolk can either be steamed seperatly for about 7 mins. Otherwise typical hard boiling time for a whole egg. Some put the whole uncooked egg in the rice cooker to cook with the rice.

Comment

one of the links said they're boiled for 30 mins.

Always fascinating to try and work out how these slightly bizarre dishes came about.
                        possibly this one started when someone left an egg in seawater and forgot about it.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                          Batch wasnt quite ready at 17 days(process can take up to 6 weeks). Egg smelled looked fine when i broke it.

Yolk will be almost solid when done, yolk can either be steamed seperatly for about 7 mins. Otherwise typical hard boiling time for a whole egg. Some put the whole uncooked egg in the rice cooker to cook with the rice.
                          Ahhh... for some reason I din't get that these were cooked.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

lol I read the info in the link
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

popped a few of these out of the brine this past weekend for a couple things, color of the yolk isnt that popping orange, but flavor and texture were there. Gonna get another batch going, this time with duck eggs and tweak the chinese wine.:

Comment

Did you steam them or boil them? Looks very interesting, but I dont know if I could wait that long......with my short attention span and all.

Comment

Working...
                                X