No firewood into California, I was rejected on my way home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
    I been biting my tounge since this thread started but I cant any more....

I wonder what would happen if they protected their southern border with the same diligence..................
    Talk about your invasive species. HOLY CRAP, did I type that out loud? It was supposed to stay in a thought bubble. Oh well.

Originally posted by richoso1 View Post
    as a voter and a tax payer one does have the right to complain
    Right you are Rich. Not everybody voted for the majority of those in power.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I wonder what would happen if they protected their southern border with the same diligence..................
      You are correct there, but its not just that border either.
      I have no problem with anyone coming here, but assimilate, I don't want to see your flag over MINE, nor do I want to see your shop signs in other languages... my ancestors HAD to assimilate, they were DAMN PROUD to do so as well... we have a shit load of loons running this state.. I see no end in sight, not with the money of Hollywierd here...

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      Talk about your invasive species. HOLY CRAP, did I type that out loud? It was supposed to stay in a thought bubble. Oh well.

Right you are Rich. Not everybody voted for the majority of those in power.

Dave
      It makes you wonder how they got there... we do a lot of re-district line drawing around here.. its a farce.. Though they do try to say Cali is the "charter" state, its is true you all vote yourselves.. I just pray that you have enough sane people in your states not to vote in the crazy shit Cali does.... can't beat the weather though... lol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
        I have no problem with anyone coming here, but assimilate, I don't want to see your flag over MINE, nor do I want to see your shop signs in other languages... my ancestors HAD to assimilate, they were DAMN PROUD to do so as well
        Amen to that, sister!!

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I wonder if you have ever tried crossing into California, Arizona, or Texas from the Mexican side of the border. I have countless times, and as a natural born American I have really been grilled at times. You can't compare a state crossing to an international crossing. Just sit at a crossing at both state and international lines, and you'll see the difference. So to say that you wonder what would happen.. it happens every minute.

I realize that everyone has their own opinion, but I personally am going to move on... let's smoke something else.
          Last edited by richoso1; 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM.
          GOSM Big Block
          Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
          Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
          Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            I have family there and virtual friends there. And I am afraid I don't care if that pice of land breaks off and floats away. 8TH largest economy in the world means nothing to me when they try to rule our life everywhere else and impose their insane environmental beliefs onto all of us. The laws they have there are all their own fault, not any of ours. Not one of them have a right to complain, they brought it on themselves and if they do not stand up and change it, they get what they deserve.

Last edited by Mikey; 03-04-2010, 04:42 AM.
            sigpic
            New Braunfels Bandera
            New Braunfels Hondo
            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
            1-26" Weber Kettle
            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

given the size of the states - nobody HAS to live in california.

I figure you probably know the deal before moving there right ?

But back to the original thread, why (and i'm looking for the official reason not common sense) can't you take dead firewood into california

What's it going to do ?

I remember driving from las vegas back into california about 10 years ago, lots of big signs saying you couldn't take fruit into california.

Given the apple I was eating had been grown in california and bought in arizona, made no sense to me then either.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

While on the surface, it may seem silly, but when you consider the means by which most insects, bacteria, viruses, mold, mildew, etc, travel from state to state, the damage they can do in a short time, and the cost to combat against them, you'll begin to understand why it is necessary to have these check points. Agricultural products are always under attack from these pests and I promise you that every citrus, nut, grape, olive etc. farmer in the state is damn grateful for these check points.

Here is the main reason you were given such a hard time Bob.
                And when this little sucker makes it's way to California, it will be devastating.

Tom

Comment

thanks gunny, I was wondering if it was the emerald ash borer we have been hearing about in iowa, needless to say they ain't stopping people over it but the campgrounds and public areas are litered with signs and notes warning of transporting firewood in and out, they want you to burn everything you bring and take nothing home
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm, given that before man insects and bacteria/viruses quite happily, crawled, flew, hitched rides on the winds and birds, larger mammals etc.
                    And now in the mud and metal on cars, trucks, bikes etc as well.

Firewood just seems like bureacracy for it's own sake.

Unfortunately most of these pests already know how to travel and state borders don't register with them. It's generally climate that determines a particular species range and proliferation.

But say there's at least a tiny justification for not transporting seasoned wood - what's with the fruit thing ?
                    no one is going to buy fruit and then throw it in groves - you're going to eat it.

A big truck full might be a carrier for pests but a couple of pieces of fruit in a shopping bag - obviously destined for a fruit bowl and consumption, how is that ever a threat ?
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      While on the surface, it may seem silly, but when you consider the means by which most insects, bacteria, viruses, mold, mildew, etc, travel from state to state, the damage they can do in a short time, and the cost to combat against them, you'll begin to understand why it is necessary to have these check points. Agricultural products are always under attack from these pests and I promise you that every citrus, nut, grape, olive etc. farmer in the state is damn grateful for these check points.

And when this little sucker makes it's way to California, it will be devastating.
                      Thanks for putting this thread back on track gunny!

We have the same type of laws here in Michigan about transporting firewood. That bug has devastated our trees in certain areas.

Looks like the political discussion on a BBQ forum has again pissed some good people off here.
                      It just doesn't belong here I tell ya!
                      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Looks like the political discussion on a BBQ forum has again pissed some good people off here.
                        It just doesn't belong here I tell ya!
                        who's pissed off ? (apart from bob)

Personally I like the fact that we can discuss just about everything.

And it is interesting finding out why some of these laws exist - even if they are somewhat pointless.

Once these insects arrive in a country, and that's the point where these import controls really ought to be exercised - they spread by natural means far more than by people.

All beetles can fly, none stop at border crossings to register their passage.

In the 60's and 70's dutch elm disease (boring beetle and larvae) wiped out all the english elms.
                        Elm wood was not transported - they insects spread by natural means.

You can still find dead elms in most woodlands.

So I'm not saying there isn't athreat I;m saying it's not from people like bob moving wood from a pile in one state to their smoker in another.

Bureacracy needs to allow for common sense, it pretty much never does - but it would be good if it did :-)
                        Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

While it is true that bugs fly, crawl, slither, what-have-ya, they will usually eat everything and micro-evolve as they progress naturally, and by themselves, to other areas. They usually don't move on until they have completely ruined their own environment and food supply. When they progress naturally, it gives humans time and opportunity to come up with pesticides or whatever to fix the problem. But when they are spread un-naturally they adapt too quickly and become a widespread problem rather than just a regional problem. And as they adapt, our pesticides have to adapt with them. Nature is a hard force to reckon with, and transporting bugs via automobiles makes it almost impossible to combat them.
                          I'm not saying Bobs firewood would do anything to harm California's ecosystem, but it's a law, and they should enforce it for everyone.
                          An over simplified case would be the transfer of fleas or cockroaches. A person can bring a single flea into your house and within 2 weeks you're so infested with them you can't stand to live there.
                          Last edited by Gunslinger; 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM.

Tom

Comment

I don't think anyone is pissed off either. Here's a couple of links to the CDFA site which will make things a little easier to understand here in Ca.
                            http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/PE/Exte...rders_faq.html 8th question down deals with firewood.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/PE/Exte...rders_map.html

In regards to making it expensive of costing the State of Ca. the most money in Bobs' encounter with the Ag inspector. The cost was nill as every agency in this state has a fiscal budget. The Ag inspectors are going to get paid the same amount of money whether they are doing what they do, standing around with their hands in their pockets or whatever. The majority of state workers are on salary. Unfortunately that's the way it is. Their pay is not based on how much work they do, or how many vehicles they inspect. Imo, there is a method to their madness even though some don't like it.

Just drove right thru that one last night, and I mean drove right through it, no one stopped us nothing...
                            Ridiculous, at the minimum Bob, really!

Kelly, the reason that happend is the Ag folks at that particular inspection station are well aware of events that are going on in Vegas. Aside from the usual mass migration to Vegas on Fridays, with the race at LVMS, there was more than usual. Chances are you were traveling in a car or pick-up truck. Try coming though there in a rental moving truck. I assure you you'll be stopped and asked if you have any household plants and will more than likely have to open the truck for an inspection.
                            Last edited by Mikey; 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM.
                            sigpic
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            New Braunfels Hondo
                            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                            1-26" Weber Kettle
                            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by richoso1 View Post
                              I wonder if you have ever tried crossing into California, Arizona, or Texas from the Mexican side of the border. I have countless times, and as a natural born American I have really been grilled at times. You can't compare a state crossing to an international crossing. Just sit at a crossing at both state and international lines, and you'll see the difference. So to say that you wonder what would happen.. it happens every minute.

I realize that everyone has their own opinion, but I personally am going to move on... let's smoke something else.
                              I stand corrected...
                              I apoligize... never intend to offend...
                              Im biting my tounge again...

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post

I understand...I brought home a load of hickory from Missouri, seasoned it and when split it was loaded with some sorta worms which eventually turned into some sorta wasp like critters...wondered what I had turned loose in my neighborhood...

Once again...never intend to offend...just comes natural for some folks
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

I understand...I brought home a load of hickory from Missouri, seasoned it and when split it was loaded with some sorta worms which eventually turned into some sorta wasp like critters...wondered what I had turned loose in my neighborhood...
                                Craig I thought for sure you were gonna say that your hickory was full of toofwess hillbilly shit and it made all your Q taste like chocolate gravy.
                                Troublemaker.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X