Bacon had this on it.........HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon had this on it.........HELP!

This spot was on some bacon that I cured for 12 days, smoked to 152 in my MES, cooled it to 100, wrapped in saran and in the fridge for 4 days. When I unwrapped it to slice it, this was on one of the pieces........it doesn't smell bad, it isn't fuzzy just a light green in color. it wasn't the only spot, but this was the biggest spot. I cut under it and there was some green under it, but I was able to get it off with no green showing underneath. It is right in the spot where it was laying on my grate. My grate, like all grates, has some rust spots that I try to clean really good before I smoke something. I chunked this piece because i was leary of it.......what do you guys think? Could I have cut it off and been ok? I am super paranoid of anything on bacon. Problem is, I sliced up 4 blocks before this piece. Should I throw the whole batch away? Would frying the bacon kill anything that might come from this? I sliced and froze the bacon for storage; would the freezing kill anything that might come from this? Please help........

-Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

I think if you trimmed the suspect areas then you will be OK...
    Someone with more experience will be along soon I'm sure...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

It is not a problem. The bacon is fine. And yes frying the bacon would take care of anything that would be associated with the green tint. The green does not appear to go into the protein section of the bacon. Fat is a preservative... It is due to a reaction with oxide on the metal grate.
      Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

looks like it could be inspection ink the abbattoir stamps on meat.

I'd eat it :-)
        But the I'll eat most things that aren't green AND fuzzy :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
          It is not a problem. The bacon is fine. And yes frying the bacon would take care of anything that would be associated with the green tint. The green does not appear to go into the protein section of the bacon. Fat is a preservative... It is due to a reaction with oxide on the metal grate.

Exactly---I had it one time years ago---Don't know why I only had it once, but I just cut it out. No Biggie.

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

every one be different. i would burn every thing it touched and throw it in a hot fire also. then bleach every thing around where it was. I ate to much crap growing up in the jungles with the indians to want any thing like it again.
            I do not have a cast iron stomach. many do ...
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

thanks guys!
              -Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
              My DBS
              My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Like said above, it is a reaction to the metal grate. If you look the green is exactly at a cross hatch.

Chrome racks will do that. Stainless will eliminate that.

Comment

Working...
                X