Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All pink ribs

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    Hmm almost looks like yer temps crept up some... Or..ya got a hot spot? apple’s not all that heavy a smoke. Properly burnt anyway.

Those baby backs were on the far side top rack of my reverse follow away from the hot spot and under the smoke stacks. It seems every time I use the Apple I get a really dark almost black bark. I've also noticed the Apple burns really hot and takes less wood to hold temp.

I was kinda hoping it was the wood and not my cooking skills... but I have been known to char a thing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HornedToad; 08-20-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Is the apple wood seasoned and dry? It does appear as if something is amiss. Do you lay your splits on top of the firebox to make sure they are warm and dry before you put them in the fire box(helps with a cleaner burn)?
      It does look like the temp may have gotten away from you at some point and got a hot spot in your cooker.

Pull back of meat is not a good or true indicator of doneness of ribs. I have seen ribs that were done with no pullback and others that had a lot of pullback and were not done.
      Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-20-2017, 10:23 AM.
      Jim

Comment

The Apple seems well seasoned by the splits in the end of the logs and I've learned my lesson the hard way about smoking with wet wood.

That Apple has crystallized sap all over it and I was thinking this sugar was causing the dark char???

Comment

Didn't mean to hijack your thread dynamite, but I just happen to have some pics on my camera roll of the Smithfield ribs you were takin about.

Comment

Originally posted by christntdynomite View Post
            I think it was just like a ring all the way through possible. Idk I'll document better next run an get some pics up.maybe the pros can help a rocky out

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

It's true, Cure would do that, but sometimes it happens without cure:

Below is a Pic of a pile of Baby Backs that I smoked in an Electric Smoker (No smoke ring with Electric Smoker), and I didn't add any cure, and these were Pink all the way through.
            I used 80% Hickory & 20% Apple on these:

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
              Didn't mean to hijack your thread dynamite, but I just happen to have some pics on my camera roll of the Smithfield ribs you were takin about.

No problem this is all helping, I did use all wood forni don't have a source yet,just chunks from the store along with b&b charcoal logs or Kingsford. I need to learn how to burn the open flame better and not bring the temp up to high.lol

Comment

The very first rack I did went all pink also.I had it in my head to do them for at least 8 hours.Screw up on my part.The other part was I was throwing in chips every chance I got which made it look and taste like ham.My rule of thumb is,If I'm using chips in a chip tray,Just half the tray,If I'm using chunks,4 at the most.

Comment

All pink ribs

No problem this is all helping, I did use all wood forni don't have a source yet,just chunks from the store along with b&b charcoal logs or Kingsford. I need to learn how to burn the open flame better and not bring the temp up to high.lol

Before my stick burner I had a small New Braunfel smoker with an open firebox that was too small for logs. I would use the Kingsford Hickory charcoal and Hickory chunks. After experimenting I figured out a small scoop of charcoal with a few chunks on top about every hour would hold temperature.

I cut the legs off that smoker and bolted to a garden cart so I could ramp it up into the back of my pickup for a tailgate. I bought that smoker in 2008 and cooked many a feast until I got a reverse flow last year. I still use it to direct grill steaks with Richtee's favorite wood... Mesquite!!!

Half the fun of smoking is trying different things with your smoker, the other half is the eating and let's not leave out drinking beer before, during & after!!!

September 13, 2014
                  Arkansas Razorbacks 49
                  vs Texas Tech Red Raiders 28
                  Last edited by HornedToad; 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
                    I still use it to direct grill steaks with Richtee's favorite wood... Mesquite!!!
                    'Bout the only use for that stuff...hot, fast cooking so the food don’t get too much on it
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Am I adding too much smoke?
                      That is my opinion...too much smoke. I don't like a lot of smoke on my ribs because it does make them pink all the way through. Cut back on your smoke and see if that helps.
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Am I adding too much smoke?
                        Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                        That is my opinion...too much smoke. I don't like a lot of smoke on my ribs because it does make them pink all the way through. Cut back on your smoke and see if that helps.
                        That can happen as well... again..they are in effect “cured” by the NO in the smoke. Altho..time is another factor. Even charcoal will provide some “smoke ring”

Here’s a post for you...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=2486#poststop
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                        X