Too fast, too soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too fast, too soon!

Help! 20lb prime rib at 125' about 6hours before dinner time. Shall I foil when ready and cooler? Trying to finish as low as I can go. Any help would be fabulous. Please thank you.
    GMG Bowie pellet pooper
    Masterbuilt upright gas smoker
    Weber Elite gasser
    Various Thermoworks devices-Love them!

I am not an expert on prime rib, but I would foil it and let it rest in a cooler.

Like a butt it will continue to cook, temp may even rise 5 to 10*F and it will hold temp with the cooler. sounds safe to me

Good luck
    Last edited by crusty ol salt; 12-25-2015, 01:02 PM.
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Foil it. Faux cambro. It will be fine. Foil, set it in a pan. Into a cooler. Fill the open space with towels and such. Don't open the cooler until it's time to prep he meal. Tender and juicy!
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

If you foil n cooler it. I would pre heat the cooler with hot water to heat it inside first. Drain water of course, add foiled beef, then fill all air areas of cooler with towels. Maybe insert a probe thermo before closing lid so you know where its at temp wise.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
          Foil it. Faux cambro. It will be fine. Foil, set it in a pan. Into a cooler. Fill the open space with towels and such. Don't open the cooler until it's time to prep he meal. Tender and juicy!
          Yup... X2.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Wait, what I meant to say is just trash it. Vac seal the meat. Put it in a container with some dry ice and ship it to Tulsa. We will dispose of it accordingly.
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Just trying to save face! Or my rear!

Awesome! I'll have it air-dropped to Tulsa. Many thanks people. This is THE go to site for ideas & advice. Regardless that I mis-managed my temps, with a 20lb rib should I avoid the "30 minutes per lb" I was using as a guideline? Thank you again everyone. Merry Christmas to all.
              GMG Bowie pellet pooper
              Weber Elite gasser

Comment

Some foil, a towel and a cooler I gotta think are your best friend. How'd it turn out?
                New Braunfels Black Diamond
                18.5" WSM
                Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                18.5 Weber Kettle
                22.5 Weber Kettle
                Maverick ET732
                6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tlunny View Post
                  Awesome! I'll have it air-dropped to Tulsa. Many thanks people. This is THE go to site for ideas & advice. Regardless that I mis-managed my temps, with a 20lb rib should I avoid the "30 minutes per lb" I was using as a guideline? Thank you again everyone. Merry Christmas to all.
                  Cook it to temp, not time.
                  sigpic

Comment

Where are the pics?
                    Attached Files
                    Weber 22.5
                    Lil Chief
                    1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                    Bradley Smoker
                    Maverick ET732
                    Nesco Dehydrator
                    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Cook it to temp, not time.
                      Yep and that is why i always have a cooler on standby. I use cooking times for a best guess of "when dinner will be ready". Some dinner is a little earlier and occasionally it has been late.

I pray that it all works out for you.

sigpic

Comment

That is something I need to master. I would rank as an uber-rookie in that regard! Sorry!
                        GMG Bowie pellet pooper
                        Weber Elite gasser

Comment

Originally posted by tlunny View Post
                          That is something I need to master. I would rank as an uber-rookie in that regard! Sorry!
                          Dude, we all started at the same place. Trust me when I say "there is not any one mistake that you can make that hasn't been done once by someone here". You did the perfect thing and asked for suggestions

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                            Dude, we all started at the same place. Trust me when I say "there is not any one mistake that you can make that hasn't been done once by someone here". You did the perfect thing and asked for suggestions
                            X2

How did it turn out? Pics or no pics we need to know.

Comment

Sorry guys. Not set for pics yet & a rookie too boot. Lighter rib was pretty rare but first into cooler. Amazing but, wouldn't believe that a coolered rib could only drop 7 degrees in almost 10hrs. Second was perfect. Live and learn. Keep a cooler close for rookies. Need to confirm & trust your thermos. Thanks again.
                              GMG Bowie pellet pooper
                              Weber Elite gasser

Comment

Working...
                              X