Cornish Game Hens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornish Game Hens

Well I wouldn't say it was a 911 situation, but I have 4 game hens thawed out in the fridge and I going to attempt to smoke them in the MES tomorrow for supper. Would like to hear what temp to set the MES on, what IT should be they be, and what wood is good for them.

Also, would like to try a fattie tomorrow as well. Since it will be my first, I need some suggestions, recipes, etc. I am pretty sure I would prefer to use sausage as the main meat but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Just take it easy on me, this is my first one, so keep it simple, LOL.
    sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
    American Legion Riders
    Patriot Guard Riders

The hens you want to go to atleast 160* IT, better at 165-170* IT. Cooking at 325* to help avoid rubber skin.

Fattie will be fine at that temp too and will crisp bacon nice. I like a breakfast fattie eggs, hash browns, peppers and onion and cheddar cheese.

Or a pizza, but make sure you seal it well.... stuff whatever you like on a pizza!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

275° will be fine, since that's the Max in your MES.

I've done Chicken thighs at lower temps, and finished them at 275° and they were fine, but 275° the whole time would be Great.

Brian got you covered real good.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Well... CG hens are poultry. Actually a hybrid chicken. The only game about them is the name

165°F IT and cook as hot as ya can in that wattburner.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

AND..there are a few tut posts in the fatty section..and prolly a hundred awesome recipes... or close to recipes
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks everyone. One last thing, I know that IT is very important in determining when food is done, I just would like a WAG on what kind of cooking time I am looking at? That would help me decide when to start up the smoker and get the hens done in time for supper.
            sigpic

American Legion Riders
            Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

1 hr 20 min. Start early, have the MES up to max temp 20 min before you toss them on. Wrap in foil if done early. Cover with a few towels. Be nice if you had a gasser etc for a quick sear on the skin to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                1 hr 20 min. Start early, have the MES up to max temp 20 min before you toss them on. Wrap in foil if done early. Cover with a few towels. Be nice if you had a gasser etc for a quick sear on the skin to finish.
                Thanks for the info. As for the having a gasser, I do own a gas grill. Might get used tomorrow as well!
                sigpic

American Legion Riders
                Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                  Friggin wattburners. Good advice I say... he would know.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Friggin wattburners. Good advice I say... he would know.

LOL Rich, I haven't used that ol MES for stuff like that in years. Relegated to cheese and jerky. Anyhoo, my old analog MES will easily go over 300.

Comment

As far as the fatty goes, try this... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13752

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Friggin wattburners.
                        Oh man, when I thought about getting a new smoker to replace my long since rusted out gas unit, I didn't know about this site. So I did the next best thing, I asked some guys at a motorcycle site I frequent. Riding is my first love hobby and heck some of those guys actually smoke a piece of brisket or a butt occasionally.

Well I told them I was going to go with a gas powered unit, just like I did a those years ago. Wouldn't you know the ones that responded, told me to try the MES because it was easier to control. Seems they were correct in that line of thinking. However, I can see something like HawgHeaven has in in the signature photo in my future as well. Just looking at that pic, with that vortex and those wings makes my mouth water.
                        sigpic

American Legion Riders
                        Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Looking like everything turned out ok.

Attached Files
                          sigpic

American Legion Riders
                          Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Yes... yes it does! If those birds need any crisping... the oven MAY be employed. 400 for a short bit... but they look pretty golden... nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Fender60 View Post
                              Oh man, when I thought about getting a new smoker to replace my long since rusted out gas unit, I didn't know about this site. So I did the next best thing, I asked some guys at a motorcycle site I frequent. Riding is my first love hobby and heck some of those guys actually smoke a piece of brisket or a butt occasionally.

Well I told them I was going to go with a gas powered unit, just like I did a those years ago. Wouldn't you know the ones that responded, told me to try the MES because it was easier to control. Seems they were correct in that line of thinking. However, I can see something like HawgHeaven has in in the signature photo in my future as well. Just looking at that pic, with that vortex and those wings makes my mouth water.

Phil Cheats------His other Hobby is Photography!!!

He could even make my stuff look good!!

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X