Water pan yes/no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pan yes/no

Hay meat heads ☺ I have a UDS and I use a water pan when doing beef or pork ribs is this necessary ? And why or why not ?

I have a diffuser plate in mine, done a brisket and some baby backs, no water pan and did fine.
    I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

I have not used a water pan in either Weber in years. Diffuser grate is all.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by babyshaq270 View Post
        Hay meat heads ☺ I have a UDS and I use a water pan when doing beef or pork ribs is this necessary ? And why or why not ?
        No water pan necessary.

A UDS cooks pretty moist. It is not uncommon to have quite a bit of condensation in the bottom of the drum after a cook. I sometimes will spritz ribs but it's mostly for added flavor. Don't really need to add any moisture during the cook.

Originally posted by CoffeeCreek View Post
        I have a diffuser plate in mine, done a brisket and some baby backs, no water pan and did fine.
        +1 on the deflector/diffuser. Helps keep temp even from center to edge and keeps a lot of extra fat from dripping into the coals which can be a pain on long cooks like pork butts or brisket. Not so much with ribs.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Water pan makes steam. You want Q or steamed meat? Fill the pan with sand or get a diffuser plate, either works!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Take that water pan and turn it upside down. In the picture below is a five quart stainless steel bowl that i have turned upside down to use as a diffuser.

as normal hind sight is always 20/20. This season i will wrap it in foil for easier clean up
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas

Comment

Working...
              X