cold smoking a ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold smoking a ham

Due to rain coming on later in the day can I cold smoke the ham and then start an finish in the oven..I would be using just the smoke tube in a weber kettle,outside temp right now is 60*,the only other heat would be from the tube.Wanting the smoke taste I had plan on.I am not sure if this would be a safe way to do it.Happy Easter Grizz

You would be fine for an hour and then into the oven keep the kettle out of the sun, even though there are clouds... will help keep temps down, that hour is assuming it was a fully cooked ham prior.... good luck!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thank You Barkonbutts

Thank you for the quick reply.Yes it is a fully cooked ham.Its a 15lb bone in shank.Scoring it right now.You say no more than 1hr.Is there any grace period between smoking an then into oven.Bad weather coming really put a hurt to me .

Comment

you might have trouble keeping the pellets going in wet weather with high humidity, might need to crush them some and maybe heat them up before lighting, good luck....
        I'm no Gynecologist
        But I'll take a look at it

Comment

You could also use your kettle like an oven, and put your smoker chips on your briquettes or lump. Thats what I am doing today, just reheating it with some smoke.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrillenGrizz55 View Post
            Thank you for the quick reply.Yes it is a fully cooked ham.Its a 15lb bone in shank.Scoring it right now.You say no more than 1hr.Is there any grace period between smoking an then into oven.Bad weather coming really put a hurt to me .
            You have 4 hours total to work with it... no grace once it’s over 40 and under 140.

On edit: Or 41 and 138 or some shit... I know it’s changed a bit..but 40-140 is easier and..possibly safer.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

cold smoking a ham

Smoky ham

sigpic

Comment

A lot also depends on when it was cooked.
                Bacteria wise meat comes out of the oven clean. It then starts to get recolonised.
                So meat that's only just been cooked could be cold smoked for quite a few hours pretty safely.
                Something that's been out of the oven 24 hours or more - not so much.

The other thing to bear in mind is that uncooked ham has a pellicle (protein layer) - which actively inhibits the take up of smoke by the meat.

Cooked meat doesn't have this so will take on a smokey flavour much quicker as the smoke is absorbed directly. So cooked meat should always be cold smoked for a shorter time anyway.

Basically follow rich's guidelines
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                X