No announcement yet.

Did I Ruin This Bacon?? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pieces were two pounds each, so I used 1/2 tsp per the package directions. It did fine 0n all the pieces but one on the outside didn't look like it, but it was pink in the middle......
    -Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Here they are in the smoker; suspect piece is on the left:

I checked it's IT with the thermapen, it is 137-140, been in for 4 hours. I took it off and cut it up just to check, and here's what it looks like. should I chunk it guys?

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
      My DBS
      My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

I threw it all away. Better safe than sorry.
        -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
        My DBS
        My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Please post your process and ingredients.

I am leaning to agreeing with rich. Trying to put 6.25 grams of pink salt on evenly on 5lbs of belly in three pieces is not going to effectively happen.

The result , especially without salt and in a open zip lock bag will result in "brown" spots. Especially after 14 days.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
            X2. We’ll get it sorted for ya. Damn shame... and yes the salt CAN be adjusted..but it can’t be omitted.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

[QUOTE=Bkndsdl;610925]I threw it all away. Better safe than sorry

Sounds like :
              1. You made a wise choice.
              2. You learned some good and useful info.

I use TQ, because it id easy to spread over the meat. I add in my brown sugar and pepper or other spices before rubbing it on, then squeeze out most of the air in zip lock, and rotate daily. Bearcarver has been a great influence on me recently.

In support of your difficult choice, remember, You only get to make one fatal mistake, so don't be in a hurry to get one in yet, and don't take your family and friends out with you, just to save the price of a chunk of pork.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                The process I use is very simple - Bear's method, to a tee. I have made bacon twice with TQ exactly as he has, with the exception of adding anything other than brown sugar. Both came out perfect. The only thing I did different this time was to use the pink salt instead of the TQ. I weighed and measured everything out, used paper plates for each piece, and tried as best I could to spread the pink salt over all the pieces evenly; evidently it didn't work that way. Added the brown sugar, sealed up the bags while leaving a bit to move around in (tried to simulate a Ziploc), measured the thickness, came to 10 days, and 14 happened on a day that I had time so that's what I went with. Set them in front of a fan for little over an hour for a pellicle while the AMPS smoldered and the MES heated up (Did I say Bear's method to a tee? lol).

So kinda torn on using pink or TQ for the next. I liked the TQ but really wanted to see the difference in the two. so can you guys help me out on a recipe for the pink salt?

Thanks for the help!
                -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                My DBS
                My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by siege View Post
                  In support of your difficult choice, remember, You only get to make one fatal mistake, so don't be in a hurry to get one in yet, and don't take your family and friends out with you, just to save the price of a chunk of pork.
                  I am no expert in this, butt based on what I saw in the pictures and what folks have said, you did the right thing. No one got hurt.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Bkndsdl View Post
                    I threw it all away. Better safe than sorry.
                    Probably the right decision, as they say: when in doubt, throw it out. You probably would have been ok, but then again, food poisoning ain't no fun if it was bad. No harm done 'cept to the old pocket book, and you learned from it so that's what matters.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Bkndsdl View Post
                      The process I use is very simple - Bear's method, to a tee. I have made bacon twice with TQ exactly as he has, with the exception of adding anything other than brown sugar. Both came out perfect. The only thing I did different this time was to use the pink salt instead of the TQ. I weighed and measured everything out, used paper plates for each piece, and tried as best I could to spread the pink salt over all the pieces evenly; evidently it didn't work that way. Added the brown sugar, sealed up the bags while leaving a bit to move around in (tried to simulate a Ziploc), measured the thickness, came to 10 days, and 14 happened on a day that I had time so that's what I went with. Set them in front of a fan for little over an hour for a pellicle while the AMPS smoldered and the MES heated up (Did I say Bear's method to a tee? lol).

So kinda torn on using pink or TQ for the next. I liked the TQ but really wanted to see the difference in the two. so can you guys help me out on a recipe for the pink salt?

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't use Pink Salt to Dry Cure---I use TQ in all my Step by Steps.

However if you must use Cure #1 (Pink) for Dry curing, I would Mix in the following amounts per 5 pounds of meat:
                      1 tsp-------------Cure #1 Pink salt
                      4 TBS------------Kosher Salt
                      1 TBS------------Brown Sugar

Mix that up really really really good.
                      Then use 1 TBS (1/2 ounce) of this mix per pound of meat.
                      You could add another 1 or 2 tsp of Brown sugar after spreading the above TBS per pound, if you want.

Then follow any of my Step by Steps for the rest, depending on which Belly Bacon, CB, BBB, or Dried Beef you're doing.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                      X