Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! The bone's been cut out of my pork shoulder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! The bone's been cut out of my pork shoulder!

Hey everyone,
    So I have a house full of guests coming over tomorrow night. I was going to put this 9lb pork shoulder on the smoker early tomorrow morning, but as I was getting it ready i noticed that someone's carved the bone out of it and left a big gash. How should i change my strategy for tomorrow's smoke?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Smoke it as you normally would Get some rub in that "gash" also. Will be awesome!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Smoke it as you normally would Get some rub in that "gash" also. Will be awesome!!
      Thanks for the reassurance! I was worried that side will end up drying out.

Comment

Originally posted by jawnyb View Post
        Thanks for the reassurance! I was worried that side will end up drying out.

Should be good to go.... Keep your temps in control and you will be fine

If really worried, you can flip it, move around your smoker, etc. which is pretty good to do in most cases with big hunks of meat, IMO.
        sigpic

Comment

Will do, ill post about it tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by jawnyb View Post
            Will do, ill post about it tomorrow!

Good luck! You got it
            sigpic

Comment

I wish I could find them that way. Why pay for a bone you aren't going to eat ? More meat for your money !
              Looks good, I'd bet it will taste good too.

Comment

If you're concerned about that part drying out you could always tie it up with some butchers twine...It will keep it all snug when you are moving it around...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by siege View Post
                  I wish I could find them that way. Why pay for a bone you aren't going to eat ? More meat for your money !
                  Looks good, I'd bet it will taste good too.
                  You'll be fine, just cook it as normal.

If you have one near you, Costco sells them boneless...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys! I added some more rub and put it in as is. Now if i can just manage my temps!

Comment

Easy on the wood guy... all you want to see is a nice thin blue smoke. The grey/white stuff is not what ya want.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good point Ritchtee. I tend to go a little too heavy sometimes.

Comment

One of my favorite slogans... “If you smell smoke...yer smoking”

PS- That’s a GRILL i’m in front of in my avatar
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Lol yeah i was looking at your profile pic thinking kinda the pot calling the kettle lol!

Comment

let's put it this way: I have NEVER seen a pork shoulder joint with a bone in.

They just don't sell them like that over here.
                              Also never had any problems with pulled pork.

Think of it like this: you haven't paid for a heavy bone that you'd only throw away :-)
                              So you got more for your money than if they'd left the bone in

On another note: looking at your picture, loos like you're using small wood chips that look wet to me.
                              1) never soak wood chips, makes them burn inefficiently which produces thick white smoke.
                              2) use larger chunks of wood. I use chunks of trimmed branches (there's always someone you know whos' having a tree trimmed, just remove some of the trimmings for them). Leave the bark on and keep the wood dry. Put it to the side of the charcoal, so it's just touching the edges. It'll happily smoke away for hours at a time.

Pretty much any wood will do, fruit woods are best, but if you know anyone with a sizeable baytree - the wood smoke smells exactly like the leaf smoke - ie: bay flavoured.
                              pretty much the only ones to avoid are pines. too much resin.
                              Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-30-2016, 06:53 AM.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X