Hi from San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from San Diego

Just joined today, and have learned I don't know yet what I don't know. But I'm finding out.

Bought my wife a Traeger Texas Grill two (three?) years ago, and we've used it several times, but with mixed results. First pulled pork we tried was fantastic. Subsequent tries the meat was tough and did not pull apart, had to be cut. Not good.

We did a terrific bunch of chicken leg quarters. They were fall off the bone tender, no fat - just moist, killer seasoning. Again, subsequent tries have been hit or miss.

Any "good" cuts of meat have been disappointing. They're dried out, tough, generally a let down especially considering the cost of the meat. Our best efforts have been with cheap cuts. Not sure why that is, I suspect it's down to technique and preparation.

I just placed an order for a digital thermostat so we can control the temperature better, and placed an order for a remote meat thermometer so we can monitor it better.

Oh - also bought a pound of hunky rub. Thanks Rich!

Once my box-o-goodies arrives I'm going to try the 2-2-1 on some baby back ribs, and I'm here to tell you, I expect some freakin' GOODNESS!!! My wife makes some spicey baked beans that put Bush's to shame. Can't wait.

Anyway, glad to be here, and I'll let you know how the ribs come out.

Awww...Dat Cat got some Hunky! You gonna get along right nice here! Pleasure ta meet ya!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Welcome aboard!
      There is a TON of knowledge here. Look at some of the posts for the different stuff you're cookin.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Glad ya found us on the Island here..... We'll get you kickin out the best ribs you ever had in no time.... And you started at the right spot with the Mad Hunky!.... Got some Hunkified pork on the smoker as I type....
        sigpic

Comment

San Diego,glad you found our Island. Dwayne
          South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
          Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
          Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

Welcome Keelaboosa! Hmmm..I just boxed up an order...so if it was you who ordered about 2 hours ago- it's going out tomarrow :{)

Enjoy, and good to have you here at Smoked-Meat
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Welcome Keelaboosa. So glad you found us. This place has the best of the best when it comes to smoking and curing meats. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, someone will always jump and lend a hand when needed
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Welcome Keelaboosa! Hmmm..I just boxed up an order...so if it was you who ordered about 2 hours ago- it's going out tomarrow :{)

Enjoy, and good to have you here at Smoked-Meat
                I'm sure that was me! Really looking forward to it.

Comment

to the forum.

Nice to see another California member.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Greetings Keelaboosa! Poke around... you can learn a lot hear. And don't be afraid to ask. There's no such thing as a dumb question.
                    DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Welcome aboard good to have one more Californian here, It's a great bunch if guys here and great cooks too. They know there stuff here!
                      " When you lose, don't lose the lesson "

Comment

Welcome to S-M Keelaboosa...
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Welcome to the forum! These folk now their smoke! With a smidge of fine tuning advice from these pros and your subsequent ques will be top notch BBQ every time!! It's good to have you here
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

The California coalition continues to grow! Great to have you aboard. Poway High class of 82 here and San Diego State alumni, , ,well not really, , , but I did attend long enough to find out where the best parties were
                            JT

Comment

.........to SM......

Comment

Working...
                              X