Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Dumbass Needs Some Composting Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredded paper!.... Grass clipping!... Got 1/2 acre of lawn to mow and recycled paper is comming out my ears.... Got the just moved in the new house spending crazy wife syndrome happening... 4 bones on a composter is prolly not gonna happen yet... Got lots of room to dig holes though. Gonna have to bury white cat shortly, so I will just dig an extra hole...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Shredded paper!.... Grass clipping!... Got 1/2 acre of lawn to mow and recycled paper is comming out my ears.... Got the just moved in the new house spending crazy wife syndrome happening... 4 bones on a composter is prolly not gonna happen yet... Got lots of room to dig holes though. Gonna have to bury white cat shortly, so I will just dig an extra hole...

Just be sure the paper is not the slicks that come with the Sunday Paper... If you want to build a inexpensive tumbler you can get a few ideas from Here
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks Ken, I gotta get to it.
        sigpic

Comment

Scott grinding the stuff is beneficial but not necessary at all...
          And I cant remember where I read the citrus thing but they make it into my pile alot...Who knows if worms are dying or not Seems to be plenty of live ones so WTF...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

One thing you gotta remember bout a grass and paper mix dere fish...The grass is mainly your nitrogen(green) and paper carbon(brown)....Nothing wrong at all with that.If thats all i had i would be happy..Just remember the paper started out as pulped(processed) and grass clippings will heat quick and almost disolve...I am sure you have seen grass left on its own in a bag...

When i show my leaf piles... the fallen leaves store all the excess minerals etc.That were drawn up deep in soil from roots...that werent used that year....Your not gonna have any/much of these goodies in paper that is composted....That said...It's organic(paper,grass) and way better then what they sell as "compost" etc..in these bags at stores...

One way to look at it is every different veggie,carbon source has its own finished profile of nutrients that you are adding to a properly composted end product...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              One thing you gotta remember bout a grass and paper mix dere fish...The grass is mainly your nitrogen(green) and paper carbon(brown)....Nothing wrong at all with that.If thats all i had i would be happy..Just remember the paper started out as pulped(processed) and grass clippings will heat quick and almost disolve...I am sure you have seen grass left on its own in a bag...

When i show my leaf piles... the fallen leaves store all the excess minerals etc.That were drawn up deep in soil from roots...that werent used that year....Your not gonna have any/much of these goodies in paper that is composted....That said...It's organic(paper,grass) and way better then what they sell as "compost" etc..in these bags at stores...

One way to look at it is every different veggie,carbon source has its own finished profile of nutrients that you are adding to a properly composted end product...

I'm not saying it's the best solution... But it is fast compost.. I don't have a large garden by no means..

I do though mow my lawn in late fall when all the leaves drop.. I bag this up and place in the tumbler for spring.. That is my starter if you will...
              Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                I'm not saying it's the best solution... But it is fast compost.. I don't have a large garden by no means..

I do though mow my lawn in late fall when all the leaves drop.. I bag this up and place in the tumbler for spring.. That is my starter if you will...
                Didnt mean that to come out wrong on paper and grass etc...Just trying to convey that all organics have their place in compost and add to tilth of soil....

The pure leaf(brown) with alfalfa(nitrogen) is easiest mix for me with so many leaves...I have to leave posts in my veggie compost pits around garden to remember were they are at this point...

The paper and grass etc..is same style mix my friend uses in his tumbler as well...Guess sometimes i jump gun/comes out wrong...I am not a compost snob...Didnt want it to come out that way....Most of the folks i know who are have about 12 plotted plants....

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                  Didnt mean that to come out wrong on paper and grass etc...Just trying to convey that all organics have their place in compost and add to tilth of soil....

The pure leaf(brown) with alfalfa(nitrogen) is easiest mix for me with so many leaves...I have to leave posts in my veggie compost pits around garden to remember were they are at this point...

The paper and grass etc..is same style mix my friend uses in his tumbler as well...Guess sometimes i jump gun/comes out wrong...I am not a compost snob...Didnt want it to come out that way....Most of the folks i know who are have about 12 plotted plants....

You didn't ... I am not the know all tell all on how composting is or anything else for that matter..

I fully expect to be called out if I am wrong.. I am not above that.. If we did not share our own experiences on what we do, I think we would still be buying pre-smoked turkeys from wal-mart at Thanksgiving..
                  Ken

Comment

Indeed the shredded paper wont add alot of nutrients but is a good source of carbon for the grass clippings to feed on...
                    Every thing that you add to the pile brings its own level of good stuff to the party...Like Alex said...the roots of different plants collect different nutrients from the soil...these nutrients are stored in the plants and become available to the soil when composted...paper doesnt add much more than lots of carbon and thats a good thing when mixed with grass clips which are VERY high in nitrogen...
                    Every form of well made compost is beneficial...well made being compost that is aerobic rather than anaerobic...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Thinkin the "Old Dumbass" needs a "Watershed Moment"...

Comment

Lol... Who knew composting could be so much fun?... Can you smoke compost Alex?... Thanks man, bud...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Lol... Who knew composting could be so much fun?... Can you smoke compost Alex?... Thanks man, bud...
                          Thinkin thats Rob's(blues n Cues) field of expertise....

Comment

nah, i gave up smokin' compost years ago.

but the overnight d.o. pot roast was an awesome thing.
                            brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                            18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                            cast iron Hibachi
                            22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                            & rotisserator
                            12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                            stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                            Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                            http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                            my music recordings-
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

OK.... Been kinda busy, but the rain quit & sun came out.... Had to get some kinda compost pile going, cause the garbage was stackin up & the bugs were getting thick..... Hole is about 1.5' deep & 3' x 4' wide/high.... covered with some native soil that had quite a few large fat worms in it.... .... Any suggestions? (Besides moss killer ) .... Somehow, it don't look like Alx's garden yet...

COMPOST CAM

sigpic

Comment

Stay after it...I just threw some shredded newspaper on mine yesterday...It's working good.
                                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                                X