Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALX View Post
    I was little em....

I can list for you 20 different reasons peppers hot and not.....Everyyear me japs for chipotles are tolerable to start season for an ABT.....I grow them to get deep red and mature and flavor changes a completely to sweet and then the smoke and dehydrating take that to nother level of flavor.

Those look like standard long slim cayene....I would not be suprised if they turn on you as plant gets size and matures...by turning i mean hot......

Climate and conditions what this bout....

Stick with em and plant health to produce the fruit is main thing....KING posted a thread on a mash you could make....

Is what it is my FRIEND.....a potted hybrid cayene....HOPING you are settin sights little higher for future....THIS growing shit is a progression...
    Yes I am just learning on this and never knew it was so complicated, but like anything once I learn it I will get better at it. Thanks for all your help. I have learned alot already with just three cheap plants, so it was a very cheap jump into what could be a new hobby for sure because there is just something about growing your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
      Yes I am just learning on this and never knew it was so complicated, but like anything once I learn it I will get better at it. Thanks for all your help. I have learned alot already with just three cheap plants, so it was a very cheap jump into what could be a new hobby for sure because there is just something about growing your own.
      Hey...PANDY...you in game now....I have few extra seeds every year,but as you turn corner and start own from seed... then you gain experience and go from there.....

Just give plant some time etc...I grow a particular green chile that is bred for uniform heat etc....Some of the heirlooms varied so much in heat from fruit to fruit it made it hard control the heat in dishes etc....

excellent thread.....everyone does things a little different,but one thing in common is usually success....
      Last edited by ALX; 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Major harvest UPDATE!!
        I just picked all these from my one little plant whoo hoo they going in the dehydrator.

Comment

Nice haul....tell us how the taste is...I heve never ate one of my cayenes green...I do have a greek bud who swears they eat some paprikas green over there...Never done that either...

those pepper plants look way healthier then before...nicely done....

I havent used that style dehydrator in moons,but i found it helpful to rotate trays...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
            Nice haul....tell us how the taste is...I heve never ate one of my cayenes green...I do have a greek bud who swears they eat some paprikas green over there...Never done that either...

those pepper plants look way healthier then before...nicely done....

I havent used that style dehydrator in moons,but i found it helpful to rotate trays...
            Hard to explain how they taste, kinda like a super hot jalapeno i guess, someone told me or i am under the impression that if you leave them on the plant too long it will quit reproducing so thats why i pick em green, not sure how many batches you can get out of the plant, newb here still

Oh and thanks to you they are still alive Alx

Comment

someone told me or i am under the impression that if you leave them on the plant too long it will quit reproducing so thats why i pick em green, not sure how many batches you can get out of the plant, newb here still
              never heard of that.......i get crop after crop on my plants. picking the fruit will encorage more flowers but i still wait until they are ripe. looks good....what are your plans with the dried chilis!
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Hard to explain how they taste, kinda like a super hot jalapeno i guess, someone told me or i am under the impression that if you leave them on the plant too long it will quit reproducing so thats why i pick em green, not sure how many batches you can get out of the plant, newb here still

Oh and thanks to you they are still alive Alx
                well...all peppers supposedly have a fruit load and this is probably truer in a container...My cayense get 4-5 foot tall in garden and i let them all go red...They produce until weather gets cold....

another option might be designate one plant for red cayene etc...I know mine take on a much fruitier/sweet flavor when allowed to ripen long time on plants...same with my japs for smoking...

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  never heard of that.......i get crop after crop on my plants. picking the fruit will encorage more flowers but i still wait until they are ripe. looks good....what are your plans with the dried chilis!
                  this is my experience as well rob....

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                    Like I said lol I dont no wtf i am doing on these haha
                    I will use them in chili or anything I think needs some heat, not really sure yet

Comment

Nice job Gary! ..... Quite the crop o peppers.... I'm in same boat (with same dehydrator ..lol) on the pepper learning thingy.... Keep at it
                      sigpic

Comment

Probably too late but I like to cut a slice through the top of the peppers before drying...speeds up the process a bit...a lot...I have used green cayennes in salsas and the like but prefer to use ripe ones for drying...

And I think I might have told you that letting them ripen on the plant might stop future pepps from ever forming but that was because you had one or two peppers on a very sick plant...would have been the end I think...Looks like you nursed them back to life and its all good...Wait till you see what you do next year
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Probably too late but I like to cut a slice through the top of the peppers before drying...speeds up the process a bit...a lot...I have used green cayennes in salsas and the like but prefer to use ripe ones for drying...

And I think I might have told you that letting them ripen on the plant might stop future pepps from ever forming but that was because you had one or two peppers on a very sick plant...would have been the end I think...Looks like you nursed them back to life and its all good...Wait till you see what you do next year
                          Ok it was you that said that about letting them ripen ok, I did cut a slice into each one on one side by the way

Comment

Enjoy the dried peppers...plenty of uses
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X