Traeger Texas 34 vs rec tec 680

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traeger Texas 34 vs rec tec 680

If I have missed other threads on this, please forgive me. I've just moved and until cable is dug, I'm on a smartphone.

I've had a traeger Lil Texas elite for about 5 years and loved it. I didn't maintain it as well as I should have and it got tossed in the move. Time for an upgrade.

I was just going to buy the Texas elite 34 until I saw the rec tec 680. Delivered, the 34 is $900 and the 680 is $1200. The pictures of the 680 are gorgeous, but I can't inspect in person.

I want it primarily as a smoker, but the option to grill is nice. Mostly pork butts (never more than two at a time), smoked turkey, ribs (3 racks at a time) and brisket. I do like midnight brisket (putting it on at midnight), so the larger hopper would be nice for that.

I'm in north Florida, so cold isn't an issue.

Is the rec tec worth $300 more than the traeger? I don't really want to spend more than $1200.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

from Utah

I gotta believe the RecTec is hands down better than a traeger
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

You might want to look at Pellet Pro. I put their pellet hopper on my Treager Tex and could not be more pleased with the way she works.

Comment

Have you considered a Yoder? The YS480 is their smaller model and I can vouch for their quality and performance. I own the YS640 and love it.
        A guy I work with had a Traeger and got tired of jacking with it. He kept having to work on it and replace parts pretty regularly. He upgraded to a Yoder and he couldn't be happier with it.
        Rec Tec...China
        Traeger...China
        Yoder...USA
        Just sayin'
        Arron W.

YS 640
        Primo Oval XL
        Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
        Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
        Weber Copper Top
        Old Smokey
        Orion
        Gasser
        2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
        24" Disco with custom burner
        Red Thermapen
        2-Maverick ET-733
        Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zeroghd View Post
          Have you considered a Yoder? The YS480 is their smaller model and I can vouch for their quality and performance. I own the YS640 and love it.
          A guy I work with had a Traeger and got tired of jacking with it. He kept having to work on it and replace parts pretty regularly. He upgraded to a Yoder and he couldn't be happier with it.
          Rec Tec...China
          Traeger...China
          Yoder...USA
          Just sayin'
          This I know is true...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the site. You might look at a Green Mountain Grills unit too. I love my yoder and had it since 2012, but a friend loves his GMG and it has some good wifi connectivity that is appealing too, if you're into that. Been trouble free for him for a few years now and cheaper than a Yoder. Not near as stout, but its been good to him so far.
            Mike
            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
            POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
            Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Yoder. I don't own one, butt know people who do. They love them.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Of the two you mentioned spend the extra money and get the rec tec. It only takes a few minutes of research to make that determination. Best bang for buck under a thousand dollars? In my opinion, is the camp chef woodwind. 899 with sear box and 699 without. Features not found anywhere else at this point. The hopper dump for changing pellets, bottom fire box clean out and that 900 degree sear box is a master stroke of genius. I have my searing needs handled quite nicely so I could skip the sear box version. Though they rate the cooking surface higher on the sear box model the actual smoking area is the same as the rib rack capacity is rated at four on both models. All of that said if cost is no object then Yoder all the way. Cost is an object for me so it will be the camp chef woodwind when I decide to purchase.
                Weber Smoky Joe
                18" Weber Silver
                22.5" Weber Gold
                22.5" Weber Silver
                UDS X 2
                Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                Blackstone three burner flat top
                5" AMZNPS
                Vortex x 2
                Maverick ET 73
                Maverick ET 732
                Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                Pitmaster iQue 110
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I'm looking for a little larger smoker, so the Yoder and woodwind are a little smaller than I'd like.

The camp chef smoke pro LUX caught my eye though.

I'm going with the Rec Tec, but the camp chef, GMG and Yoder were all very interesting. I did think the rec tec grills were US made, so that is disappointing.

Thank you for the info. I'll make a proper introduction and post some pictures this week.

Comment

When I started looking for pellet smokers almost 4 years ago, I dragged the wife all over SE PA to look a smokers, both at different dealers and at BBQ competitions. We thought that the Yoder was expensive as well but after seeing it at a comp in New Holland we were both sold.

Three and a half years later we have no regrets in spending the money for the Yoder YS640. It sits out on my open deck year round (covered when not used) and I am out there in the rain, snow, heat and whatever else we have, smoking. The great thing I see with Yoder and have not seen with other manufactures is that Yoder keeps improving the smoker, listens to their customers and makes upgrades that I can add to my 3+ year old smoker without breaking the bank.

As for space, I did a 23 hour smoke that entailed a 18lb full packer after trimming 3 pounds of fat off it, two 10lb boston butts, 6 racks of baby backs and moink balls and ABT's wrapped in bacon in any free space that was available.
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis Copper E310
                    VacMaster Pro 260
                    2 Mavericks ET732
                    Blue Thermapen
                    6" & 12" AMNTS
                    Q-MATS
                    "Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook

Comment

Not sure if you have an ACE Hardware near you? I just got a flyer today from my local ACE. They have 15% off all grills in stock. Might be worth a look? My local carries Traegers.

My buddy has had a GMG for a couple years and really likes it. I have cooked ribs, wings, ABT's with him on it a few times. Great cooker!! No problems yet. He is moving next year and said he's leaving it for me

If I were to buy one, I think I would probably go with a Yoder personally. Based on the reviews from the folks in this forum. Especially Wingman. He's got a website with a lot of his Yoder cooks and reviews on all kinds of stuff.

PLUS, HE'S FROM WASHINGTON!

Check it oot smokingpit.com

Also Mossymo and Tatonka (Owensbbq.com)
                      Last edited by Fishawn; 08-17-2017, 01:52 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

A friend of mine had some problems with his Yoder...Cant remember what...They sent a guy to his house to fix it...For free...Made in America has it's advantages I guess...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Thought long and hard on the woodwind and the Yoder, decided to go with the rec tec.

So far I love it and it is a big improvement over the old treager lil tex.

Making pork belly burnt ends tomorrow.

Comment

Everything looks great! If you are enjoying it thats all that matters
                            z
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

cooking steaks?

I'm thinking about getting a pellet grill. I'm not sure about how it works when cooking a steak or burgers.

Comment

Working...
                              X