WV Hot Peppers and Wieners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WV Hot Peppers and Wieners

I was thinking of some relatives in WV and remembered these awesome treats. I don't know if this is the exact recipe that they used, but I found this online and it sounds close to what I remember. They always grew bananna peppers and used them.

I thought I'd share it with "Y'all"

WV Hot Peppers and Wieners

16 oz. ketchup
    1/2 pt. vinegar
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 pt. vegetable oil
    1/2 t. salt
    1 clove of garlic
    1 gal. of hot peppers cut up into rings (you can remove seeds if you wish)
    2 lbs. wieners or smoked sausage
    1 T. hot sauce

Combine ketchup, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and garlic in a sauce pan.

Bring to a boil and add peppers wieners and hot sauce. Bring to a hard boil. Let cook until vegetables are done. Put in jars and seal them as you would with any other canning process.

*If you want you can add onions to the peppers and wieners if you like and you can add other peppers (some of the hotter ones). It is all about taste and how hot you like it.
    “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
    - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Heh...1 tablespoon hot sauce? Interesting snack there.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hmmm... Interesting snack.. Can't say I ever seen a sausage (wiener) pickle recipe like this...
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I like to camp in WV and i believe this little country store their has something similiar...Not sure..it burned down last winter....

Thanks for recipe...I have alot of extra peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
          I like to camp in WV and i believe this little country store their has something similiar...Not sure..it burned down last winter....

Thanks for recipe...I have alot of extra peppers.
          I guess this is a pretty popular thing in some parts of WV. When I was growing up we would go visit family once or twice a year and it seemed that they would make these every year when the peppers got ripe.

From Googling it, there are many variations of this recipe. I found an article that includes another version (simplified no less).

Here is the article

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Heh...1 tablespoon hot sauce? Interesting snack there.
          Yeah, I was wondering about that too! Doesn't seem like enough, and I am not really into spicy hot stuff. I guess depending on the peppers you use this might be enough for flavor??
          Last edited by Hannibal; 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM.
          “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
          Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
          - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
            Yeah, I was wondering about that too! Doesn't seem like a lot, and I am not really into spicy hot stuff. I guess depending on the peppers you use this might be enough for flavor??
            Yeah... probably pretty pointless in that brew. Unless it's like Dave's Insanity or something
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

LOVE these!!

My mother in law use to make these befor she passed... We have missed them for the last few years, and finally this year I was able to have a garden and am making them.. They are absolutely delicious!!! Never last long around our house.

Comment

I'm from WV,this recipe is the same as the one I have except mine looks to be double.

Comment

Probably need a pressure canner to do it safely.....
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Might be good with some Willie Peppers in it. That would heat it up!
                    PEPPERS.jpg
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X