Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fermented pepper mash

Kingudaroad,

I have made Tabasco wine once, just for curiosity. Some raisins were added to balance the flavor, whole Tabasco peppers, a packet of wine making yeasts (60 cents), Red Star-Pasteur Champagne brand and water. Fermenting crock was made from the empty 1 gallon red wine glass container. The lid was discarded and the rubber stopper and double bubble air-lock was inserted into it. This is a typical wine making set-up available everywhere on Internet. With slight modifications it will work for making sauerkraut and pickles - you can see it at http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/food-pr...raut/equipment just below Fermenting clay crocks.
    The product turned out great of a very nice light brown color. Needless to say it was incredibly hot and had alcohol in it. If you can swallow it you are the man. I used it for making salad dressings.

Te reason I refer to this experiment is the fermenting crock. My experience is limited to sauerkraut, pickles and wine making and usually when a vegetable such as cucumber or shredded cabbage gets in direct contact with air, the scum follows on the top. This white foam is produced by yeasts and molds and should be removed on a regular basis. Yeasts and molds need air to live and if a barrier is created between vegetable and yeasts, there is no reaction.

The easiest way to create such a baffle is to submerge the product in its own brine. This means to weigh it down. It also helps to pack it fully in a container as this creates less space and air. Fermenting crocks equipped with the air-lock are the best solution, as the fermenting gas (CO2, soda gas) pushes the air out of the container. No air, no slime production.

You have added 8% salt by weight which will definitely inhibit growth of spoilage bacteria, but...it may prevent the growth of fermenting bacteria (lactic acid bacteria). I don't know how much sugar Tabasco pepper contains, sauerkraut contains about 3%. Those bacteria live by breaking down sugar into lactic acid, acetic acid (vinegar), carbon dioxide (soda gas) and some other compounds.

My guess is that Tabasco peppers are so hot that they inhibit other bacteria. Nevertheless adding some vinegar to your mixture cannot harm. Vinegar always provides some safety. I think that you will get pretty good Tabasco sauce, just keep an eye on those yeasts and any foam that may accumulate on top. Just scoop it up with a spoon.

Comment

From the LSU study linked above
      Whole red peppers are
      crushed into mash using a hammer mill together with approximately 8% of salt. This
      mash is placed in suitable containers for aging. Some producers use charred Kentucky
      white oak barrels from whiskey distillers with salt-sealed wooden lids that have tiny
      holes which allow the gases of the peppers to escape during fermentation. The wooden
      tops are secured and placed on the barrels with stainless steel hoops. Each barrel is aged
      for two to three years. To encourage an anaerobic condition and reduce contamination,
      salt is added on top of the barrel. The salt topping hardens in atmosphere humidity and
      naturally seals the barrel after the fermentation process ceases.
      That is where I got the method. I also thought it would have been better to use a smaller container so it would have filled it up better.

Thank you for the advice and certainly welcome to the forum.
      Keith

Comment

4 days

Brine rising above salt. Gas bubbles in the mash. No scum so far.
        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
          4 days

Brine rising above salt. Gas bubbles in the mash. No scum so far.
          Awesome..........

Comment

VERY VERY interesting... just curious if using a suitible sized container, and then a liquid filled plastic bag to finish filling the container forcing the gases and any scum to go with it out over the edge of the container???
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

So are you gonna go for three years before trying the sauce?

I have been intrigued by this for a long time but have never got started so I will watch and learn Thanks...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I can hardly stand it.... This is cool!
                sigpic

Comment

erain,
                  The purpose of the liquid filled plastic bag is to keep cucumbers submerged in brine. They don't make direct contact with air and don't react with yeasts which are everywhere. It is better to fill the bag with some of the original brine (salt and water) that was poured over cucumbers. This way if the bag leaks, the strength of the brine remains the same. If the scum forms on the surface, it is scooped up, the plastic bag is washed clean and placed on top of cucumbers as before. The gas will find the way to escape.

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
                    erain,
                    The purpose of the liquid filled plastic bag is to keep cucumbers submerged in brine. They don't make direct contact with air and don't react with yeasts which are everywhere. It is better to fill the bag with some of the original brine (salt and water) that was poured over cucumbers. This way if the bag leaks, the strength of the brine remains the same. If the scum forms on the surface, it is scooped up, the plastic bag is washed clean and placed on top of cucumbers as before. The gas will find the way to escape.
                    you are quite correct.... thats why i double bag when doing the kraut... i guess i feel safe using double food grade commercial bags i get from my butcher. but if both bags would leak it would dillute the brine like Osceola says.

but there is a more important purpose to the bag method than keeping submerged, it is to act as a one way check valve... letting the gasses escape and eliminating any oxygen to come in contact with the fermenting product... this is where any of the "scum" which they talk about and has to be tediously removed throughout the fermentation process.

just thought the bag method was an option to the salt pack on the top... works well for me with kraut.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

3 week mash update

After about a week, the pepper mash breached the surface of the salt. I thought about using erains plastic bag method to keep it all submerged but opted to just add a thicker layer of salt. There was a little scum building up where the peppers were exposed to the air. I just removed it and carefully covered with salt.

Here after 21 days, there is a lot of gas accumulation within the mash and it has a nice pickley smell. It all seems to be under control. The salt seems to be inhibiting surface scum as far as I can tell.
                      Keith

Comment

Alright Keith...So how long does this stuff take till you can try it out...

I bet Ill be trying this with some of next years harvest
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Craig, I'm thinking 3 months if I can wait that long.
                          Keith

Comment

How interesting! ... Keep us posted Keith
                            sigpic

Comment

Looking good Keith...

Here is a thread with mucho information on different ways of doing it..Just thought it was interesting in the different approaches at home etc...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...114539537.html
                              Last edited by ALX; 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Man, that looks hellishly good! I'm betting this'll be fantastic!
                                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                                X