No announcement yet.

Fermented pepper mash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about this & how it is going.....
    Any chance this gets a try Christmas Eve?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Been thinking about this & how it is going.....
      Any chance this gets a try Christmas Eve?
      It's looking really good Scott....err Buck.... I must admit I am nervous about the Ph. I want to test to make sure it got low enough to keep out the baddies. I guess I need to find some testing strips somewhere. It smells just like tabasco sauce.
      Keith

Comment

First time I've seen this thread. I love experiments like this, thanks for sharing your adventures!
        sigpicTrying to fit.....in the misfits....

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
          It's looking really good Scott....err Buck.... I must admit I am nervous about the Ph. I want to test to make sure it got low enough to keep out the baddies. I guess I need to find some testing strips somewhere. It smells just like tabasco sauce.
          BBally recommended one a those testers used for checking garden soil PH... might be an option over strips. cannot wait for the finish and the reviews buddy!!!
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

From the LSU study...
            4.2 pH and Titratable Acidity
            The average pH of ground fresh peppers before salting was 4.98with a range of
            4.97 to 4.99. Following the addition of 8% salt, the average pH was 4.7 with a range of
            4.59 to 4.80 (Figure 8). Within the first month of fermentation, the pH significantly
            decreased to 3.9 (range to 3.07 to 4.41) and 3.7 (range to 3.17 to 4.6) for plastic and
            wooden barrels, respectively. After 1 month there were no significant changes in pH. The
            initial decrease in pH was likely due as the result of lactic acid bacteria growing in the
            salted mash (Pederson and Luh, 1988) and producing lactic acid. The general
            specification project for pickled products established by the processed fruit and vegetable
            committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commision FAO/OMS, notes a maximum pH
            specification of 4.6 for pickled products (FDA, 2003).
            Soil tester eh? I'll check it out.
            Keith

Comment

wouldn't worry too much about the ph. It's got enough salt on the top and if it'd picked up anything dodgy by now you'd see it growing.

Plus just over 3 % by weight of salt makes salami safe - you started with 8%

The bacteria doing the fermenting will keep any other bacteria at bay and the salt will deter any molds.

Should be pretty amazing stuff.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Stupid Question Alert!!!!!

Would boiling it, or heating it to potentially kill any "baddies" ruin it?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Stupid Question Alert!!!!!

Would boiling it, or heating it to potentially kill any "baddies" ruin it?

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm thinking it needs to be mixed with some white vinegar after fermenting to make it into sauce. Maybe a nice hot simmer will do the job. Maybe some garlic???

But I'm tempted to just try some straight up and then see how long it takes before I can feel my face again. The smell is really good.
                  Keith

Comment

Perty sure thats why most use a starter.... like was mentioned in Link i posted...Only drawback besides sudden death i heard/read about was the mash is very salty sometimes...Cool experiment...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                      Perty sure thats why most use a starter.... like was mentioned in Link i posted...Only drawback besides sudden death i heard/read about was the mash is very salty sometimes...Cool experiment...

LOL... At least the rest of the family is scared to death to get near it after tasting the raw pepper, so I should be the only one at risk. And no you can not have my smoker if I kill myself!

I think I can take care of the saltiness by cutting in the vinegar when I turn it into sauce. I'm sure it is very salty at this point.
                      Keith

Comment

Oh go spank it...Oh, I meant taste it! Inquiring minds
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          And no you can not have my smoker if I kill myself!
                          Damn you.... Gonna be good...I am definetly doing this next year...I havent grown tobasco peppers in many years...Gonna tryit with a couple types when i have fresh....

Comment

ohh this looks really interesting.....looks and sounds ok to date ....are you refridgerating this or is it sitting on your counter???
                            Mike
                            Oklahoma City
                            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                            Weber 22.5 Performer
                            GOSM 3405gw
                            Boomer Sooner Drum
                            Maverick ET-732
                            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                              ohh this looks really interesting.....looks and sounds ok to date ....are you refridgerating this or is it sitting on your counter???
                              It spent the first week in my 72 degree pantry, but now is in my 60 degree wine cooler.

Ok Here is an update. The mash rose up on one side and at one time breached the surface of the salt. That side we will call the high side.

Here is a picture of the high side. Notice the grayish colored layer toward the top. I'm thinking this may be the dreadful scum.

This is a picture of the low side. Notice no scum.

Now this is interesting. These chunks of pepper on the sides of the jar somehow climbed up there on their own. The jar has never been tipped or stirred and was completley clean at the start. Also notice the date of 11-10-10. 6 weeks from that date will be 12-22-10. May just have to give it a taste.
                              Keith

Comment

Holy crawling up the salted top layer diced up tabasco chunks....

Might be a movie in this....

Comment

Working...
                                X