Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Dumbass Needs Some Composting Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Dumbass Needs Some Composting Help.....

New house does not have a garbage disposal.... (Insert F-Bomb Here).... So my mom who is an avid gardener talked me into starting the compost bin under the kitchen sink, to be dumped into the compost pile, around or near the garden.... I get the concept I think of adding only vegetable parts, no meat?, and egg shells??.... and mixing it with dirt after it decays , but I am really pretty green to this.... I put a plastic 2 gallon bucket under the sink & I got a couple of small peels from 5 potatoes & 1 peel from those small Japanese Oranges... probably about .23 of an ounce .... But I guess it's a start.... What should I be adding? .... How often should I take it out & dump it? & in general, WTF am I supposed to do?
    sigpic

Make a fruit fly trap.

Comment

WOW...Composting...Seriously thinking about dhat...

I am sure someone will come along etc...Just cool.

Comment

Mods, Note: Middle Finger Has Been Posted!...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Mods, Note: Middle Finger Has Been Posted!...
          Reported....Just crazy dem compost folk...Talkin chit again...

Comment

I don't know anything about composting indoors except it would never go around here! You didn't say if you are on septic or sewer, but either way a disposer is fairly inexpensive and not that difficult to install. Unless it's just an experiment to see if it works, I'd go with the disposal. JMHO.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

He heee...Dat Marcelus playin Opossum!...Louie has a ice bucket on the counter top...all scraps go in...no meat....egg shells, coffee grounds, Natty dregs. Louie has a wire small wire pen like Marcelus. When the bucket gets full she dumps it in there. I dump my shredder stuff in it. Amazing how all dat chit breaks down....
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Make sure you pick a spot that's down wind It do get purty ripe at times and you'll actually want two piles eventually. Just get er goin Scott, nature and a shovel will take care of most of it. Oh and Lee wasn't kidding about the fruit flies Dump it regularly.
                JT

Comment

New house does not have a garbage disposal.... (Insert F-Bomb Here).... So my mom who is an avid gardener talked me into starting the compost bin under the kitchen sink, to be dumped into the compost pile, around or near the garden.... I get the concept I think of adding only vegetable parts, no meat?, and egg shells??.... and mixing it with dirt after it decays , but I am really pretty green to this.... I put a plastic 2 gallon bucket under the sink & I got a couple of small peels from 5 potatoes & 1 peel from those small Japanese Oranges... probably about .23 of an ounce .... But I guess it's a start.... What should I be adding? .... How often should I take it out & dump it? & in general, WTF am I supposed to do?
                  a big 10-4 on the flies.
                  take it out daily.make damn sure it's down wind because come summer w/ heat & grass clippings from mowing it's going to really get hot & stink.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Thanks to "some of you".... .... I guess compost King is laying low for a while..... ..... neighbor appears to really be into his garden, it looks freshly tilled with no weeds and a nice uniform stack of Maple leaves on part of it..... I will take spy pics in a bit..... Me, I do not yet have a defined garden area..... I have an area in mind, facing South, guessing somewhere about 40' wide (North to South) & 200' deep (East to West).... Gonna start with an in-ground garden area with containers on the back deck facing South with pepper & tomatoe kinda stuff..... Have a sliding glass door that faces South that would probably work for starting plants? ..... I will get me a book & figure out all this stuff.......

Question is..... If curing said compost with either cure #1 or TQ .... do I need to keep using Mad Hunky to get the vegetables to taste better .... I did use the Mad Hunky on a chicken split in 1/2 last night on the grill & figured there was no way that this stuff would not help vegetables taste better...

Sincerely....... ScotX XXXXXXXX (Real name withheld due to incorrect spelling)
                    Tumwater, Washington.....
                    Last edited by Fishawn; 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Question is..... If curing said compost with either cure #1 or TQ .... do I need to keep using Mad Hunky to get the vegetables to taste better
                      I think the rule is, you can use Cure #1 to enhance the compost for a short time only, and if you use the full compliment of kosher salt and follow the recipe exactly. For the long term compost runs, Cure #2 may be more appropriate??

Didn't we start an advanced compost section somewhere? Where is dat finger sporting Cornelius Cat Daddy anyway?
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                        I think the rule is, you can use Cure #1 to enhance the compost for a short time only, and if you use the full compliment of kosher salt and follow the recipe exactly. For the long term compost runs, Cure #2 may be more appropriate??

Didn't we start an advanced compost section somewhere? Where is dat finger sporting Cornelius Cat Daddy anyway?
                        Hmmm..... Can I use 1/4 the amount of cure that is called for in the compost recipe & still be safe Dana? .... That is, if I add more compost either today, yesterday or the night before? ..... I'm gonna start a website..... Already got my Attorney working on a compost disclaimer.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmmm..... Can I use 1/4 the amount of cure that is called for in the compost recipe & still be safe Dana? .... That is, if I add more compost either today, yesterday or the night before? ..... I'm gonna start a website..... Already got my Attorney working on a compost disclaimer.....
                          I tried that one time before, and found that the green compost is actually really packed with lawn nutrients...never killed a thing. My garden is still alive and kicking, and I would recommend that to anybody, as long as you adhere strictly to the compost recipe, that is...and I may also refer you to Meat Hunter's new signature as a lead in to your attorney generated compost disclaimer. Look forward to the new composting site!
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks Dana!.... I will be posting my progress shortly.... Composting is way more fun than shoveling horse stalls
                            sigpic

Comment

don't forget the aquarium salt.
                              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                              & rotisserator
                              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                              my music recordings-
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                              X