Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Dumbass Needs Some Composting Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    COMPOST UPDATE!!!

Never owned a 2 story house until now, interesting what you can see from up here.... Here's my 7 year old trying to get in the shed where I store all me Whisky
    HeHEE....I am SURE your Mum and Dad knew that was coming....The old orange peel dont fall far from the compost pile.....

Comment

I usually avoid putting citrus peels in my compost because I read somewhere that they were toxic to earthworms...
      Unless they really piss me off...which they sometimes do...I usually try not to kill too many worms....but thats just me...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        I usually avoid putting citrus peels in my compost because I read somewhere that they were toxic to earthworms...
        Unless they really piss me off...which they sometimes do...I usually try not to kill too many worms....but thats just me...
        Dunno the science, but my family and I been composting everything veg for my whole life and the best place to dig red worms is the compost. Just my experience Nightcrawlers are rare out here so I wouldn't know about them.
        JT

Comment

Grape fruit peel Craig..any thoughts..Man...

Comment

While I really can appreciate the humor and innuendo in the earlier posts, if you are truly serious about it, heres what you should do:

Get a roll of 36-48" poultry mesh, and some stakes or rebar cut to 4-5ft lengths, and 8ft of 10" pvc(optional, but moves things along.)

Make at least one, two would be better, 6ft diameter circles of the mesh, staked well enough to maintain shape under load. Leave an opening large enough to get a wheelbarrow in. If you go with the pipe idea, cut it in half, and drill a shitton of 1/2" holes in the pipe, and attach it to a stake in the center of each, vertically.

Source some dirt from somewhere. Dig a hole, get a few wheelbarrows from the neighbor, whatever. You need at least a 1/2 yard to start. One time purchase. You use this to weight down you clippings, and cover them so critters don't spread them all over. It also provides some additional flora/fauna to help break down your compostables.

Lay down your yardwaste, kitchen crap, etc, and then cover with a few scoops of dirt. Every week or 2, turn it all over. Add new layers as needed, but maintain the turning and covering. Stay away from meat, and dog crap. It stinks, and attracts vermin.

Should you go with 2 piles, get one started, and rotting good, then start filling the other. Instead of covering every layer with dirt, use the compost from the other pile. Think of it like Kreusining, or Sour Mash.

I do this, and every year get about 2 yards of really good compost, that grows the largest tomatoes and hottest peppers. I garden in raised beds, and when I need to, I just add another layer of landscape timbers to accomodate the compost.

Good luck, and don't forget to "Rainman" the shots of the pile as it rots down,
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Thanks IC!... I do plan on being somewhat serious in this venture..lol... So is the PVC in the center for "air flow" from the middle of the pile(s)?... Thanks for the input!
              sigpic

Comment

ah b.s.- pile it up,shoot the coons off the top nightly, & do a mother earth news compost d.o. pot roast during the summer
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                  Craig..any thoughts..Man...
                  Yes Charlie...sometimes I get mad at worms

Merry Christmas and humbug to all....
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Should everything that goes into the pile be chopped as finely as possible for quicker breakdown? Or does it not matter/make a difference
                    sigpic

Comment

Throw it in...don't waste yer time choppin....the bugs & critters will get after it!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I use a compost tumbler.. It's the best way to go IMO...

This is the one I use.. It holds 180 Gallons..

If your not wanting to drop 400+ Bones on something like this you can build one similar to it for pennies on the dollar...

There are many sites that have free plans to make them..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Should everything that goes into the pile be chopped as finely as possible for quicker breakdown? Or does it not matter/make a difference
                          It will break down quicker,but not neceassary....Craig mentioned orange peels are not good for worms,but i eat tons of oranges and grapefruit and add to piles...Seems they do breakdown quicker shredded,but doing a search on fruit peels most didnt have problem with it...I never Have never had issues with peels,but you wouldnt want 1/4 of your pile being them or anything and i have tons of worms...

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          I use a compost tumbler.. It's the best way to go IMO...

This is the one I use.. It holds 180 Gallons..

If your not wanting to drop 400+ Bones on something like this you can build one similar to it for pennies on the dollar...

There are many sites that have free plans to make them..
                          That would be a great option IMHO...They work great and easy to make..With the amount your family produces of compostables its darn convenient..I use pits because i have aalot of non-usable garden maters,peppers etc. with fruit rot etc... i am way ahead of game,so i do it more passively( the worms do most work and their poop is the bomb)...Plus 90% of my compost is pure leaf and i am 2 years ahead even with a 200x100 foot plot easy..

Comment

All I use in my tumbler now is fresh grass clippings and shredded paper.. I use very little kitchen scraps..
                            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              All I use in my tumbler now is fresh grass clippings and shredded paper.. I use very little kitchen scraps..
                              Yep.That mix would breakdown quick..I know it can take practice/diligunce with tumbler(friend has one) with garden scraps to not produce the dreaded anaerobic goop....In the goops case doing more harm then good to plants

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                                Yep.That mix would breakdown quick..I know it can take practice/diligunce with tumbler(friend has one) with garden scraps to not produce the dreaded anaerobic goop....In the goops case doing more harm then good to plants

Yes it does break down fast... I get around 2-3 bushels every 2 weeks.. Once you get into the habit of turning the tumbler each day, it goes smooth after that..
                                Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X