How's Everyone's Gardens Doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Everyone's Gardens Doing?

Here in western Kansas (and much of the midwest) rainfall has been abundant. That really helps make a garden look good without too much additional work.

Cabbage patch

Onion patch

2 rows of potatoes and some peppers in the foreground

Tomatoes

Wildflowers

Could be a big harvest!
    Good One Heritage Oven
    Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

So far so good, plants looking good, few weeks away till we start to get harvest...
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Here in mid Kansas we have had so much rain that I haven't been able to do too much weeding...Grass is taking over...Got 2 more inches yesterday...

Tomatoes are doing well...Peppers took a hit right after I planted them...Temps in the 30's stunted them bad...Okra is gonna kick ass and not so sure about the cukes...Limas are climbing their trellis nicely and will surely give us a huge harvest...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Lost several tomatoes...in all seriousness, they drowned. Picked all of the fruit from the remaining plants in hopes of sending energy back to the plants. They were going kick ass and then 27 of 31 days with appreciable rain. Damn.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I've got family who farm west of Wichita. Their wheat is ripe and ready to cut but they keep getting big rains. Trying to figure how to put pontoons on their combines!
          Good One Heritage Oven
          Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Due to the wet may I got mine in late. Got 3/4 of it covered with grass clippings. I've got a major crab grass problem in the garden, so for once I'm staying ahead of it. Could be doing a lot of canning this year. I bought 18 tomatoes first part of may. Then it proceeded to rain for a week. By the time it dried enough to till I had thought they'd died. So I bought 18 more. I was storing them outside next to the strawberries I need to plant. Strawberries were looking tough so I water them all. Sure enough the tomatoes grew back. So I found room and now have 36 of them

My recently planted orchard is doing good. My Stella cherries put a couple on. It was nice sampling them, but it pissed Nolan off cause he wanted more. That's hard to explain to a 2 year old. Blackberries are starting to put some on too.

Its been wet here too, got 4 inches Thurs, and woke up to another inch. Supposed to rain all week.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwerth42 View Post
              I've got family who farm west of Wichita. Their wheat is ripe and ready to cut but they keep getting big rains. Trying to figure how to put pontoons on their combines!
              Indeed the wheat is ready...Gonna lose a lot of it by the time they get into the fields...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Indeed the wheat is ready...Gonna lose a lot of it by the time they get into the fields...
                Guys in parts of Texas and Oklahoma have already abandoned some wheat due to rain damage. Others have harvested some with serious quality problems (low test weight and even some kernels sprouting in the head). Some of those farmers were looking at their best wheat in years due to drought over the last five years. Now, too much water is the problem.
                Good One Heritage Oven
                Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

still haven't gotten around to setting up a proper garden, but the couple strawberry plants are starting to produce a couple ripe ones a day. Mmm. The fig tree and the blueberry bush are loaded with green ones, so should be good crop of those this year provided the weather holds out and the birds don't get them.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

My one pepper plant (Nu-Mex Twilight) I over-wintered is covered with flowers :{)

that's all, folks
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Second year without a garden for us.

All we ever grew was Tomatoes for BLTs anyway, and I'm just not up to getting the stepladder out every day to pick them!!!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Second year without a garden for us.

All we ever grew was Tomatoes for BLTs anyway, and I'm just not up to getting the stepladder out every day to pick them!!!

Bear
                        Step ladder? Holy cow! How high do you grow them?
                        Good One Heritage Oven
                        Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

got ten mater plants set-up in the alaska grow bucket system...man me & Louie got a mess of maters on our hands!
                          http://www.alaskagrowbuckets.com/
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by bwerth42 View Post
                            Step ladder? Holy cow! How high do you grow them?

Here plants were almost full grown. Mrs Bear was full grown in this picture too, at 5' 9" tall:

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Here plants were almost full grown. Mrs Bear was full grown in this picture too, at 5' 9" tall:

Bear
                              Wow...I see why you need a ladder. That is about 4 or 5 of my plants fully grown!
                              Good One Heritage Oven
                              Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X