No announcement yet.

Sauerkraut 2010 w/Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too cool erain! I've got to try my hand at some kraut this year.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Excellent E!!! Love the old school technique!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Too cool erain, I'll keep my eyes open now that I know what to look for. Thanks again!

JT
        JT

Comment

Erain, your the man you just talk the talk you walk the walk man. Took men down memorey lane about 45to50 years ago. whenn granny & mon did it both gone now but thanks for the trip.

Comment

Awesome E!
            Hoping I have enough cabbage this fall to give it a shot.
            Thanks for the post.....
            Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
            http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great Post Erain. Love the stuff, and yours is fantastic. Hope to make my own soon.

I was lucky enough to receive a quart of his kraut, folks. Very good stuff.

Still need to look in the basement of the new place. The kraut crocks are still down there. Not sure how many or how big. Don't remember any lids or koverweights, but wouldn't suprise me. Thought they used a plate or something like that. Need to ask dad.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                Great Post Erain. Love the stuff, and yours is fantastic. Hope to make my own soon.

I was lucky enough to receive a quart of his kraut, folks. Very good stuff.

Still need to look in the basement of the new place. The kraut crocks are still down there. Not sure how many or how big. Don't remember any lids or koverweights, but wouldn't suprise me. Thought they used a plate or something like that. Need to ask dad.
                those koverwate thingys as wel as the plate with a brick on it are obsolete... go to the butcher shop and get some food grade bags... they call them venison bags here... makes it a no touch til done operation... glad you enjoyed it bud!!!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  those koverwate thingys as wel as the plate with a brick on it are obsolete... go to the butcher shop and get some food grade bags... they call them venison bags here... makes it a no touch til done operation... glad you enjoyed it bud!!!
                  Oh, don't worry. Had no intentions of doing it that way. Your method looks much better.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

That's a lot of work! I admire anyone these days who still does things the old way! Has it been six weeks yet?
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Amazing crocks 'o kraut E! I really dig on this process, every time you hook it up. I am inspired like a mo fo bro! I'm a big ole kraut fan. E, what temp are these crocks of kraut stored at. Is this something that is floor fermented and can be done in my climate?
                      Thanks for sharing buddy.
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Awesome to see the process, thanks for sharing.
                        “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
                        Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
                        - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

My E, sorry I missed the the initial post! You must have thought I was nuts when I asked you were the Kraut post was last time we chatted. Life has gotten ahead of me... I love the kraut post, I love the history and how you embrace it. ... I can only hope to get some in the mail some day!
                          Muah! E, thank you for sharing your Gma's crocks and the process with us all!
                          XOXOX, talk to you soon!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
                            Amazing crocks 'o kraut E! I really dig on this process, every time you hook it up. I am inspired like a mo fo bro! I'm a big ole kraut fan. E, what temp are these crocks of kraut stored at. Is this something that is floor fermented and can be done in my climate?
                            Thanks for sharing buddy.
                            thks buddy, i keep my crocks in my garage on the cement floor and being it is isnsulated it doesnt really get that warm inside. i think the slab acts as a heat sink and does keep the temp down some. if it wasnt for the fact that soon it will be freezing up here i have to put in jars and process a bit before i can store or if i had a root cellar i would just leave in the crock and remove as i use it...
                            as far as your temps if you can keep it at 70 degrees or so you would be ok during fermentation..... here is some guidelines regarding that...

Fermentation will begin the day following packing. How long it takes depends on the room temperature. For best quality sauerkraut, a room temperature of 75 F. (23C) is ideal; fermentation will take about 3 weeks.

At 70F (20C), allow about 4 weeks; at 65F (18C), about 5 weeks; and 60F (15C), about 6 weeks.

Temperatures above 75F will result in premature fermentation and possible spoilage.

Mine is still in the crocks and is waiting on me to finish it up(been putting it off for a while now, but been sampling it often... good stuff), funny i was gonna jar it up after i got home from work tonite!!!

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            My E, sorry I missed the the initial post! You must have thought I was nuts when I asked you were the Kraut post was last time we chatted. Life has gotten ahead of me... I love the kraut post, I love the history and how you embrace it. ... I can only hope to get some in the mail some day!
                            Muah! E, thank you for sharing your Gma's crocks and the process with us all!
                            XOXOX, talk to you soon!
                            where you been girly.... i keep meaning to call you but our schedules dont match very well do they... ck your pm's some times... i think last time i sent you one something about being over loaded... ya gotta delete them things every now and then yano...lol ttyyl hon 2016 back atcha
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Awesome once again!!!!
                              SCOTT

Comment

Man...Fantastic! I'm the onlyest in the house that eats it!
                                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                                X