Its salsa time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its salsa time!

Been getting some requests for my salsa recipie lately so I thought I would put this out here for y'all to see...

With a warning that is...
    My salsa has NO vinegar in it which makes the canning process even more important...The vinegar is usually added to stop the growth of bacteria which can make you sick or dead...But I dont want to taste vinegar in my salsa so this is what we have learned...The idea is to get the pH low enough to prevent the growth of bacteria...Tomatoes are acidic enough to preserve themselves but will not do a very good job of preserving the other vegetables...so we add some lemon juice to lower the pH a bit...Lime juice will also do the trick if you prefer...
    This salsa will last on the shelf for a couple years but once opened it will spoil in a couple weeks...faster if a dirty spoon comes in contact...

If you dont have basic canning skills then here is a link to some very good information...http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/
    And I dont even have to worry about getting banned for sharing that with you

These ammounts are general and change every time I make the stuff so dont get hung up on ammounts...Heres one I did a couple weks ago...made only 8 pints...Trying to make a very mild batch for Mamma...she says my mild sauce is not so mild these days...

8# tomatoes
    1.75# sweet onion
    .5# sweet pepper
    .5# assorted hot peppers
    4 large cloves garlic (or more)
    cilantro (lots of cilantro) (or more)
    1 Tbs fine ground pepper
    .25 cup canning salt
    .75 cup fresh lime juice

these weights are before chopping, peeling, seeding, coring etc...

I like to cook my maters for a while before adding the other stuff...this cooks down the maters and keeps some firmness to the other stuff...
    Cook the entire batch for 30 minutes...
    Fill hot jars and process in water bath for 30 minutes for pints, 40 minutes for quarts...

Here's what it looks like...
    some maters

A few assorted peppers...Hey how did those Habeneros get in there? Dont tell Lena...

Chopped and in the bowl...this stuff smells so good that I could just start eating it with a spoon

In the pot to boil...

And a couple jars of beauty from the garden...This made 8 jars and turned out really good...

I repeat my warning though...If you dont have confidence in your canning skills then USE VINEGAR...dont take chances with your health...
    Craig
    sigpic

Thanks for the recipe Craig... Not sure who would want to ban someone for sharing knowledge of the one thing we all love and have a deep passion about.. FOOD!!

And thanks for the PSA on canning!
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks buddy

One question though...since this is only my second time doing this, and I'm by no means a professional canner, how much vinegar would i use for example on this recipe?

2 Weber Kettles
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
      Brinkman ECB
      Charbroil 940X
      Project UDS
      Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Rock On! Freak Daddy!...I'll be on for some of this!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunr View Post
          Thanks buddy

One question though...since this is only my second time doing this, and I'm by no means a professional canner, how much vinegar would i use for example on this recipe?
          Im thinkin about the same ammount as the lemon juice...just trying to raise the acidity a bit...

We have been using the Lemon juice for a decade or two and never killed anyone yet...as long as you recognize that it wont hold as long in the fridge you are OK...

Two decades?dang Im gettin old...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Very nicely done sir.Thanks for sharing recipe...

Comment

Just made another batch but smoked all the veggies with mesquite first...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Nice recipe.... and excellent information on higher PH canning techniques!

Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                  Nice recipe.... and excellent information on higher PH canning techniques!

Hey thanks Bob...I was kinda hoping for some input from some of the resident food saftey experts...

I know that the lack of vinegar carries some risk but done right it works...and its better
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

This looks great Craig. Nice post too with great pics - thanks for sharing with us
                    Scarbelly

Comment

Salsa without vinegar? Gotta try that for sure.
                      We always put 1 TBLS of lemon juice in every pint if our tomatoes are canned without vinegar.
                      You get sir, for the PSA.

Tom

Comment

that is some purty looking salsa bud.... so how did the smoked turn out. i made some smoked picante sauce a while back and was to die for. i got one more run on the maters yet in a few days and gonna do your salsa, thks for sharing bro...
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Once you try salsa without vinegar you'll never want the other stuff again
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

On the list Craig. Thanks...
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                              that is some purty looking salsa bud.... so how did the smoked turn out. i made some smoked picante sauce a while back and was to die for. i got one more run on the maters yet in a few days and gonna do your salsa, thks for sharing bro...
                              E, I dont really know for sure...By the time we finished the cleanup of the salsa project it was time to dive into cooking supper...Maybe should have ordered pizza or something...Havent tried it yet except for the occasional taste test along the way and that was great...Have one jar that isnt quite full...so that one will be opened first...SOON...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X