Hen of the woods mushrooms. SCORE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
    I'd like that. I haven't had any luck on my own.

I'll be in the woods this weekend. If I find any of these, I'll post a pic. And asking how you cook them.
    You got it. If you do find any, remember, don't yank them out of the ground. Slide a knife under them and slice them off at ground level. That way they will pop up again next year. I went out again today, found one nice one and a few that are just starting to sprout. We have had a bit of a dry spell so I suspect with the rain that came thru tonight, they should start to pop up over the next 2 weeks as well. Don't wash them as shrooms don't take to water, it water logs them. Simply remove any dirt and debris by hand, turn upside down and cut off individual stems, almost like cutting up a head of broccoli. You can either put in zip locks for serving sizes or (better) use a food saver. They keep very well. When I fry them up, I just toss some salted butter in a pan and fry them up along with some onions until they start to get the crisp toasty look to them. Then I sit in my chair and stuff my face with em LOL.

A good onion ring batter is also fantastic on them. Simply batter them and deep fry em. MM mm MMMM
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Never seen those before, thanx for the education. We have oaks out west here but our mushroom season is long gone. We do get Chantrelles and oyster mushrooms out here, but the season has to be perfect. We can go years without seeing any. This year it didn't happen.
      JT

Comment

Cool looking 'shrooms. Would love pictures when you cook or fry them.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        Wish I knew more about mushrooms.
        Me, too, Keith. Like Ray, I'm too chicken.

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
        Folks we have a Bingo

Ya know the ole saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"

In the eyes of a newbie, I am a BBQ GOD!!!!!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          I see lots of them when deer hunting, but I think they're too tough by then.
          Agreed.
          See em all the time hunting but they're hard and tough.
          Would ALSO like to try them.
          I love shrooms :)

Comment

Sure wish I knew more about shrooms....Do like em...sorta scared of a bad one. ...(I seen dem idiots in England gettin em outa cow turds & makin happy tea) dat chit ain't happenin. Man...post some pics cooked.....
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Dad called tonight to tell me about this crazy mushroom he and his cousin found and ate today. They went fishing. Nature called, and they pulled the boat up to a barren shore. Bruce comes walking back with a couple of these shrooms. They filled one of those plastic grocery bags. Wasn't even a third of what was there.

He's got one saved for me. Woohoo.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Dad called tonight to tell me about this crazy mushroom he and his cousin found and ate today. They went fishing. Nature called, and they pulled the boat up to a barren shore. Bruce comes walking back with a couple of these shrooms. They filled one of those plastic grocery bags. Wasn't even a third of what was there.

Wow, how do ya know what you can and can't eat?
                I was raised that you do not under any circumstances eat a mushroom growing out of the ground...

MH LOVE THE SIG LINE BTW!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                  I was raised that you do not under any circumstances eat a mushroom growing out of the ground...

Dad's cousin was a teacher at a nature center for many years. Retired now. He knows all about edible plants.

When he fried it up he asked my dad, "Trust me?" Dad said, "Well if I croak, your going with me." Lol.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Dad's cousin was a teacher at a nature center for many years. Retired now. He knows all about edible plants.

When he fried it up he asked my dad, "Trust me?" Dad said, "Well if I croak, your going with me." Lol.
                    Give your dad a big fat hug from me, he is funny! Gol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post

Actually, there are only a couple mushrooms in North America that can make you really sick, the rest are pretty much edible but not much on taste. There has been so much misinformation about them. In fact, elderly people like my mom, still believe that you can get sick if you touch them LOL. There is a absolute bounty of moldy goodness in the woods. You like the sig line hun, I thought that pretty much summed up my view on the Koran

Take some pics of it, lets see it. And get the rest of them. Freeze them up, cuz you know what's comin.........WINTER

Comment

Great post

I love morels but the season has been bad the last few years, its raining out now so now i have something to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the knife trick, thats how i like to treat nature.

If you find any oyster mushrooms please post a pic of them.

Thanks.

This kind of stuff is why I hang out here! Great folks and Great info.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                          I love morels but the season has been bad the last few years, its raining out now so now i have something to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the knife trick, thats how i like to treat nature.

If you find any oyster mushrooms please post a pic of them.

Thanks.

This kind of stuff is why I hang out here! Great folks and Great info.
                          I haven't found any other mushrooms this year
                          Don't know what's going on with that. We had an absolute perfect year as far as crops and gardens go, and the places where the H of TW shrooms should have been, have not produced. I did find a few Pheasant Back shrooms, but they don't have much flavor, which is a shame because they are huge. And I only found really small puff balls. Normally, we find the softball to basketball size, not this year.

Comment

Stopped over at dad's this morning. Didn't have much left. He had 4 of these pieces saved. It's actually a chicken mushroom. Resembles yours in the middle, but different than the hen of the woods. It looks like chicken meat when broken open and smells like chicken. Even tastes like chicken according to dad. Thought he was bonkers. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

Chopped it up and fried it in butter with some garlic powder and season salt. Guess dad's not ready for the nursing home yet. It does taste like chicken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVjKfqApNsE
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RowdyRay; 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

It's actually a chicken mushroom.
                              Interesting ,Ray. Thanks for sharing!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Stopped over at dad's this morning. Didn't have much left. He had 4 of these pieces saved. It's actually a chicken mushroom. Resembles yours in the middle, but different than the hen of the woods. It looks like chicken meat when broken open and smells like chicken. Even tastes like chicken according to dad. Thought he was bonkers. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

Chopped it up and fried it in butter with some garlic powder and season salt. Guess dad's not ready for the nursing home yet. It does taste like chicken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVjKfqApNsE
                                That is a good score right there. Chicken shrooms are very very good. I found 2 this year. The were however a bit past their prime so I missed out. Now I'm looking for puffballs.

Comment

Working...
                                X