No announcement yet.

Am I alone on this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never injected, but I never did any comps.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I ever smoked that was even slightly dry was a couple of Breasts, and that can be easily taken care of with some of Rich's awesome "Poultry Brine". About 6 hours soaking in that stuff, and you're good to go!!!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Tried it once on a chicken and broke the needle, and gave myself a wicked puncture wound. Never have I injected again. Brining???Well hell yes I brine the hell out of poultry. But so far buying quality meat and applying the knowledge I gained from the site I have been very happy with my results w/o injecting.

Comment

Never done any competition cooking. I always inject me turkeys when frying. Adds interesting flavor profiles. I have injected things from time to time, but don't do it often. Just when I get a wild hair.
        A few of my favorite things:
        Good Whiskey
        Good Food
        Bad Girls
        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

i have tried the injection thing. what a pain in my neck, maybe if i did it more i dont know. but the food i serve always gets good reviews. that said until i starting the comp thing, my home is a no injection zone
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

no injection here either, only when curing. I have been led to follow the usda "intact muscle rule" and unless any injecting would take place after the outside of the muscle, actually the outer 1/2 inch has reached the upper threshold of the danger zone temp, any such injection would then void the intact muscle rule. we have a sticky in the food safety section that will back this up.

from one "our" stickies.
            "Whole-muscle, intact beef" means whole muscle beef that is not injected,
            mechanically tenderized, reconstructed, or scored and marinated."
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I do inject from time to time. I not only inject liquids, I inject solids like Rosemary, Garlic etc. Look, it's all about introducing moisture and additional flavors for a bit of a twist. I also don't use the same rub all the time as I prefer different flavor profiles. I suggest to everyone to try different techniques and find out what floats your boat. This will keep your BBQ from getting into a rut! Just MHO
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Rob, got any pics of that Popeil injector thingy you have and the garlic chunks and or whatever else you "injected" into a beef roast I think it was? That was really cool! That was injection, kicked up 10 notches.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  no injection here either, only when curing. I have been led to follow the usda "intact muscle rule" and unless any injecting would take place after the outside of the muscle, actually the outer 1/2 inch has reached the upper threshold of the danger zone temp, any such injection would then void the intact muscle rule. we have a sticky in the food safety section that will back this up.

from one "our" stickies.
                  "Whole-muscle, intact beef" means whole muscle beef that is not injected,
                  mechanically tenderized, reconstructed, or scored and marinated."

Exactly!!!
                  If I don't inject, I can experiment with all kinds of smoking temps, and not have to worry about when it crosses the 135˚ or 140˚ line!!!
                  And I don't insert my "sterilized" meat probe until about 3 hours into the smoke. (same reason)

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                    my home is a no injection zone
                    Unfortunately, so is mine...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Until I started hangin out at this forum I'd never used a brine or injection. Just rubs, marinades and sauces. As long as I pay attention to what I'm doing I get good results.

That being said..

I've done one injection on a Sirloin Tip Roast with a sample of Rich's Beef injection, liked the results, it did indeed and an additional beefiness to the roast.
                      For me the idea is to experiment, think about things in a different light and become a better cook. Will I inject again.. Sure..
                      Not a comp guy although I think I'd like to give it try sometime.

Comment

the only time i have injected was to cure a ham.........that being said, i prefer to do as little to my food as possible.
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                        X