No announcement yet.

Lil Chief: Salmon Candy. First try.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the head off/whole Alaskan sockeyes at Freddies last week for 6.99 I seriously almost bought them but I was out of town for a few days and I like my fish caught and brining within 24 hours. Just my preference, doesn't always work out that good!
    Weber 22.5
    Lil Chief
    1950's Crosley Shelvadore
    Bradley Smoker
    Maverick ET732
    Nesco Dehydrator
    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

I'm with you on time from catch to brine/smoke -- the faster, the better...

Consulting with a few Alaska logistic firms, I found the time from catch to transport to the L48 is 48-72 hours. Transport time to Anchorage can vary from 12-72 hours. Due to air cargo costs, most shipments are transferred from the Alaskan villages in reefer trailers packed with ice and plugged into a power source on the Alaska ferry vessels, and sent to Anchorage. Once in Anchorage, the shipments are consolidated and flown to Seattle within 4-6 hours. It is rare to have the catch air freighted from the villages to Anchorage or direct to the L48, unless arranged with a very high-end purveyor. Although we may think we are getting a helluva a deal at $6.99/# -- the fish can be upwards of a week since being caught, and most likely been somewhat frozen, plus the crew on the F/V are making peanuts (the logistic firms are making a mint).

Thus, if you have connections to get your catch direct from the F/V, not only do you get excellent quality, your supporting a local.

Like you, my connections in Bristol Bay, can deliver me 30-40 whole salmon, caught within the past 8 hours, just prior to my departure back to the L48. Fortunately, status on the airline allows me to my loot back at zero cost. The family can really tell the difference between fish purchased at Freddie's vs. what I bring back. Even better -- I know I'm supporting a remote village of really hard working people.

Unfortunately, the runs have not been that great this season -- fisheries are opening/closing every day -- so much so that you need to call a hotline to identify which areas are open and what the limits are.

As for the Atlantic stuff -- barf!!!!!

Plan on trying your brine when I return next weekend - I'm intrigued...

Tim

MAK 2-Star
      MAK Super Smoker Box
      Weber Silver Genesis
      Flaming Thermapen

Comment

Thanks for your reply - we think alike.

Wish I had better connections - having lived on the ocean my whole life it's disappointing to see what's happening over here lately thanks to our sorrowed DFO.

Here's a youtube link to Indian Candy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8) - I pretty much made this as described - with a few of the usual twists on ingredients. This "wet brine" is absolutely awesome and expensive, but worth it.

Quality in = quality out.
        Weber 22.5
        Lil Chief
        1950's Crosley Shelvadore
        Bradley Smoker
        Maverick ET732
        Nesco Dehydrator
        Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
        X