Smoked carp and pickled carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked carp and pickled carp

Smoked carp-followed Bearcarver's step by step for smoked salmon. Was a little worried about the soy sauce and carp but decided to go ahead anyways.
    The filets, top 2 I butchered so those will be pickled.

Put the bottom 2 in the brine for 5 hours. Then dried off and put on the jerky rack to form pellicule.

Smoked with alder pellets.

This stuff is amazing for a "trash" fish. Kinda has a hint of ham taste. It's a little salty which could be from the soy sauce, but I believe it came from when I'm done cleaning a fish I always soak in salt water overnight. John this recipe is a winner, thanks for everything you do with your step by steps!!

Pickled carp-I'm following Erain's recipe. Spent 48 hours in salt water and yesterday put it in vinegar.

It's the first time I've pickled fish. It's amazing how they turned white within a couple of hours in vinegar.

Will be updating when I pack in jars and taste it.

While researching about carp I came across an article. It sais carp was a mainstay in the American diet until WWII. The Germans loved carp and the American soldiers seen them all over the lakes and streams. They then proceeded to catch them, slice their bellies open, remove the guts, and threw the fish back in the water. The soldiers came home ans kept the practice up and since then carp has been considered a trash fish. Whether this is true, I don't know. Thanks for looking.
    sigpic

Nice work Ryan! When I pickle steelhead-trout-salmon, I layer sliced white onions in between the fish. Damn onions are about as good as the fish Might be worth a try in a jar
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Nice work Ryan! When I pickle steelhead-trout-salmon, I layer sliced white onions in between the fish. Damn onions are about as good as the fish Might be worth a try in a jar
      That's the plan with a slice of lemon. Really looking forward to it, cause pickled herring is a favorite.
      sigpic

Comment

If that's Asian carp and it is edible you gots money, seriously!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          If that's Asian carp and it is edible you gots money, seriously!
          Nope, I'm pretty sure these are common carp, I don't think their grass carp. They look about the same.
          sigpic

Comment

Glad to see you are putting those "trash" fish to good use. But I guess when they get used for garden fertilizer they are getting some good use as well . Can't wait to hear how your pickled fish turns out. I love making pickled fish.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
            sigpic

Comment

Looks Great, Ryan!!!

Glad you like it, and thanks for the kind words.

I'll guarantee the pickled will be great too!!!

BTW: You fillet about like I do!! I taught my Son how to fillet a long time ago----Now he's about a thousand times better at it than I am!! Oh well, that's why when he brings me some fish, he always fillets them first !!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have had pickled carp before and it's damn good! You wont be disappointed..!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol'Hangtown View Post
                  I have had pickled carp before and it's damn good! You wont be disappointed..!!
                  What was her name?
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    While researching about carp I came across an article. It sais carp was a mainstay in the American diet until WWII. The Germans loved carp and the American soldiers seen them all over the lakes and streams. They then proceeded to catch them, slice their bellies open, remove the guts, and threw the fish back in the water. The soldiers came home ans kept the practice up and since then carp has been considered a trash fish. Whether this is true, I don't know. Thanks for looking.
                    Pretty interesting. We never ate them growing up. Mom always said they didn't taste good. But they were always fun to catch.
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Update

Pickled- finally done!! Cracked open a jar and tried an onion, oh so good. Ate the rest of that to get to fish. Had a couple pieces of belly then got to the big chunk that had bones. No bones I had to restrain myself and put the jar away after eating half Very good, sorry no pics, battling sinuses and feel like crap. Can't wait to try the one jar, I puta couple jalapenos in it. The wife of course didn't like it. Oh dam I cause I get it all to myself Will definitely do again.

Smoked-brought some to the parents they both loved it. This past weekend I filled in for a friend on their trap shooting team. They drink beer afterwards so I brought some and didn't tell them what kind of fish until they ate it. They loved it to. The one guy hates carp and leaves them on the bank if he catches one. He cussed when I told him it was carp, but that didn't stop him from seconds He said he was amazed I got it to taste dam good.

A little more research on carp. These are Asian, there are 8 different kinds. Common, like the ones I got. Silver, the ones that jump and hit boaters. Grass and a couple other less popular ones.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X