Questions about smoking or pickling fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about smoking or pickling fish

I've never done either, so total newbie here. So bare with me if some questions might be stupid. I caught a couple of nice carp today. I love fried carp but the wife doesn't because of the stickers. Beings we got a couple bags of panfish in the freezer I thought I'd try something different.

Smoking-Kutas book has a brine to do it but I don't have a salinometer, so that way is out. But could I go with a dry cure? If so could somebody share a recipe? Will this take care of the stickers or not. Not a big deal on that.

Pickling-Kutas recipe says to cook the meat in the brine. I looked at Erain's recipe on here and his didn't say it was cooked. Is that correct. I've only have had pickled herring so is that stuff raw? I know this method gets rid of the little bones.

I'm not sure which route to go yet cause if the bones remain in the smoked ones the misses might not care for it and she hates pickled fish. Any help is appreciated. What I caught was 2-23". Got 2 nice filets and 2 filets that are a little rough. I'm new to the fileting. Thinking about smoking the 2 nice ones and pickling the other ones.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    I looked at Erain's recipe on here and his didn't say it was cooked. Is that correct. I've only have had pickled herring so is that stuff raw? I know this method gets rid of the little bones.
    You are correct in that it is not cooked with heat, More like chemically cooked in the brine and all natural at that. We have pickled a 20 lb+ pike already and there were absolutly no bones left. They were totally dissolved. Not sure on the size of pin bones in a carp so i cant speak for sure if it may take more time in the brine etc... I also have never had pickled carp either, smoked yes and not bad from the stuff i had which i made once(small fish and early in spring from cold water). But by all means give it a shot and let us know.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Can't add more to what Erain said, and I think a Carp has much bigger (thicker) bones than most fish.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
        You are correct in that it is not cooked with heat, More like chemically cooked in the brine and all natural at that. We have pickled a 20 lb+ pike already and there were absolutly no bones left. They were totally dissolved. Not sure on the size of pin bones in a carp so i cant speak for sure if it may take more time in the brine etc... I also have never had pickled carp either, smoked yes and not bad from the stuff i had which i made once(small fish and early in spring from cold water). But by all means give it a shot and let us know.
        None of our pike have ever had any bones left either after they sit in the solution of vinegar and salt for a week or so . But like Erain said I'm guessing the bones in the carp could be a bit bigger so it may need to sit in the brine solution for longer to dissolve the bones up.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not familiar with pike, but these bones are about as thick as a strand of hair and inch long. The research I've done on smoking says to use bear's smoked salmon recipe.
          sigpic

Comment

I'd say give them a try both ways. Do one batch pickled and then on batch smoked. I've never eaten carp as most people I know that shoot them with their bows just use them for garden fertilizer so I couldn't really tell you if they would be very good smoked. I'm sure pickling them will be just fine as every fish I've ever used turns out great. It sounds like the bones aren't that big so the solution of vinegar/salt will eat those bones right up.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              I'm not familiar with pike, but these bones are about as thick as a strand of hair and inch long. The research I've done on smoking says to use bear's smoked salmon recipe.
              My Smoked Salmon Step by Step is Great for fish you want to hold in your hand, and snack on. If you want to eat it for Dinner, you could still use the same brine, but you would smoke it hotter & faster.

Bear
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Bear-I should've been more specific, but what I'm hoping for is a finished product that you eat cold. So I'm guessing your step by step will be perfect. Thank you!

Ross-give it a try some time. People say they taste muddy, but I've never had one that did. For me cats taste far muddier. If anything just cut the belly portion off, that's the best part no bones and a real nice flaky white meat.

I think my plan will be to pickle the 2 filets that I butchered following Erain's recipe. And take the other 2 and smoke following Bear's recipe.
                sigpic

Comment

You got it Ryan. My snacking Salmon is actually better cold than hot or warm.

Bear

Comment

Hmm, carp might also be a good candidate for bears poor mans lobster recipe.

It's close to sacrilege to eat them in the uk - But I know there are practically classed as vermin in the states.

I've eaten carp in germany (poached - that's caught at night from someone elses pond, not lightly boiled ) and china - restaurants. But never the uk
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                    X