Brisket prep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket prep question

So how important is it to use plastic wrap around the brisket after prepping it with rub? I hate using the stuff, but did use it this time because of Capt Dan's brisket-sticky. I managed to get the meat wrapped and it's presently sitting in the fridge, snug-as-a-bug, but it sure was a battle! Is plastic preferred over foil for some particular reason? Maybe next time, I'd just stuff it in a garbage bag instead? Thanks!

Personally, I never use that shit. It seems it will stick to everything but itself...that is, if I want it to stick to itself. If you are trying to lay it down on the counter, it will invariably only stick to itself. But if you want it to grip the side of a container, all of the sudden it won't stick to anything...WTF? Choose a large container with a cover, or put it in a pan and foil over it. I also like the jumbo 2.5 gallon ziploc bags (get 'em at wally world or the grocery store) and then put that in a container just in case it were to leak a little. Plastic wrap, don't waste your time.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks for that quick reply, BBQ Eng! It's just what I wanted to hear and everything you described is exactly how it ends up for me too..... I hate the stuff. I'm trying my best to follow brisket instructions as closely as possible, since brisket is a smoking project that has been getting better for me each time, but success continues to elude me.
      Some cold frosty's are helping me cope with my recent wrap-battle though.

Comment

Tedak, Lots of ways to get to the same place. Improvise and you'll get there. Beautiful thing about BBQ is there are as many ways to get there as there are people that can light a bed of coals. Capt' Dan is a good one to follow, but if you need to deviate a bit that's alright too. You're gonna get lots of help and encouragement from the peeps here and the results along the way will be pretty awesome too..if you have questions just ask.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Right on with what BBQE sez. I use the large ZipLoc bags also, then stuff it in the fridge overnite. Fab.U.Lus.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The tutorials should be seen as guides, and not the end all be all of the way to prep something. feel free to improvise. God knows if we all did everything the same way life would be pretty boring.

Comment

I make it easy on myself, I use foil. Buy a 18" X 500' roll every year from Costco and it lasts me the year. Easy peasy.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I thought it might be a stupid question, but ya'll have been patient and helpful. I've always used foil coverings for the meats I've smoked in the past, but wasn't sure if that plastic held some sort of key to successful brisket. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Personally, I just season/rub them and onto the smoker/Weber. No rest thyme. Just me
                  sigpic

Comment

I with the Carp dude...
                    I light the fire in the smoker and then I prep my meat...Rests maybe an hour or less before going into the smoker...
                    Works for me...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      I with the Carp dude...
                      I light the fire in the smoker and then I prep my meat...Rests maybe an hour or less before going into the smoker...
                      Works for me...
                      Ed Zachary
                      sigpic

Comment

I with the Carp dude...
                        Works for me...
                        Here to, unless I have a lot to smoke and short on time, then I wrap. What works best for me is unroll 2' on the counter then plop meat on it. Then use the roll to wrap a couple of times then twist the roll. If going east to west I then go north to south a couple of times. Doesn't look pretty but does the job.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Ed Zachary
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Ed Zachary Disease is when your face looks exactly like your ass, meaning you are extremely ugly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...hary%20Disease

I THINK HE'S TRYING TO START SOMETHING

Comment

I use the plastic wrap, but I usually get Mrs Bear to help:

The other year I got a huge roll of 18" plastic wrap, that has it's own Zipper cutter on the box. I just grab 2 corners and pull out how much I need. Then Mrs Bear cuts it & grabs the other 2 corners. We keep it stretched & wrinkle free as we set it down on the counter.
                              Then after coating the meat with mustard, evo, or Worcestershire, I sprinkle some rub on the plastic wrap before setting the meat on it. Then I can rub all the other sides before closing it up. The bottom gets the rub on it by my setting it on the rub.

Without her help, I have no idea how I could use that huge roll, without it getting all stuck together and tangled up!!!

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X