First time Brisket!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Brisket!!

I have been thinking about doing brisket for a little while now. Kroger had a deal on brisket, that finally made me bite the bullet. Only $1.77/lb for a choice packer!! So, looks like I will be doing the brisket this Saturday. Still, kind of nervous about my first brisket! I really like the way Franklin cooks his brisket so I am going to try and replicate the way he does his. I do not have any butcher paper on hand so, hopefully unwaxed parchment will suffice. What temp should I wrap, and what temp should I pull it off at? I plan on resting it for at least 1-2hrs if not more. Any advice or suggestions on this first brisket??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remove point at 170. dice, season, and make burnt ends. wrap flat and cook until 190 for sliced. 205 for chopped. The wrapped flat can rest for a while in a cooler until burnt ends are ready. Some of us get all fancy with trimming fat caps and such. Just throw the bastard in the heat and worry about the fat stuff later.

keep us posted!!
    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Good tips above. Remember it’s a big hunk of meat..don’t be shy with seasoning/rub.

Not much else to hand you. If I could pass on experience I would..but you’ll have to get that on yer own
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

X 3---Same Same What Tulsa Said-------I Wrap at about 165°, but aint much different than 170°.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Not much to add ta what /\ said! Only question is butcher/parchment paper, think that outta be foil if ya got it!
          That paper gonna fall all apart round a the fat from a brisket, be a bad mess!
          An sometimes I don't foil either!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Wait, who is "Franklin"?
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              Wait, who is "Franklin"?
              Gads, the brisket god... type in franklin and brisket. Oy vey.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sounds like you are covered!! Keep it thin and blue and sit back and enjoy!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Like foil, butcher paper helps power meat through the stall but, unlike foil, it allows the meat to breathe thus maintaining the integrity of the bark. Butcher paper also absorbs excess fat. Because parchment paper contains a release additive it is not a substitute. I'd skip that.
                  sigpic
                  Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                  -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                  -AMNPS
                  -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                  gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I've done the Franklin recipe, and he talks about Texas Crutch (wrapping it in foil towards the end). If this is your first briskie, I'd suggest wrapping it. The more you do em, the more you figger it out and end up not not wrapping.

Give er' Hell Branden! Post pics of her!
                    New Braunfels Black Diamond
                    18.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                    18.5 Weber Kettle
                    22.5 Weber Kettle
                    Maverick ET732
                    6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                      Like foil, butcher paper helps power meat through the stall but, unlike foil, it allows the meat to breathe thus maintaining the integrity of the bark. Butcher paper also absorbs excess fat. Because parchment paper contains a release additive it is not a substitute. I'd skip that.
                      I have never tried it but I have read up on it a bit...
                      Seems kinda messy to me...

Good luck on the first brisket...
                      And we would love to see the results
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

First time Brisket!!

You can find Kraft paper at the office supply, that is basically the same as butcher paper... It works fine. I wouldn't use parchment or waxed paper. My adaptation of the Franklin recipe... start it on the grate to a nice bark, on top of cardboard in the middle to hold the fat and finish wrapped in the pink butcher paper he recommends, that you'll have to special order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Gads, the brisket god... type in franklin and brisket. Oy vey.
                          Okay, somehow I missed him. Like what he doin!

Soooo, how'd it go???

You can get butcher paper at Sam's Club or RD.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            I have never tried it but I have read up on it a bit...
                            Seems kinda messy to me...
                            IMO butcher paper is superior to foil for those who wrap. Wrapping itself is somewhat dependent upon what cooker you use and how experienced you are with it. I use a ceramic which helps quite a bit in the moisture retention department so am comfortable without the wrap if I'm feeling lazy. Craig, I think you will see a better result by using a butcher paper wrap with your Longhorn but there's only one way to find out.

FWIW, butcher paper also works well with ribs for those who like to wrap those.

I know of one bbq products retailer who sells short lengths of the now famous Texas pink butcher paper for those who want to try it without buying a lifetime supply. I don't know what he charges but I'm sure it's too much. Its paper for Pete's sake.

I agree with MrZip66's recommendation for wrapping with foil or paper if this is a first attempt. It is good insurance but beware of pot roasting the thing.
                            sigpic
                            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Well maybe it's time to find some butcher paper and cook a brisket
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X