Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for keeping the bloody AMNPS lit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for keeping the bloody AMNPS lit?

Pellets are very dry.

I let it burn at least 10 minutes before putting in enclosure (bottom rack of un-plugged Little Chief with drip tray and chip pan removed and top cover "tilte" a bit to leave it open a crack).

There is plenty of air-flow both above and below the AMNPS.

It quits burning within an hour.

Help!
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Mix some some small lump bits and pieces in with it. I keep the crumbs from the bottom of my lump bags for this.

You may think your pellets are dry but trust me if they are going out then they have absorbed moisture. I dry mine out in the winter by placing them on top of the wood stove in a pan. They burn perfectly on their own when I do this. After they sit in a sealed bag for a while they need the lump crumbs to keep them going. When the lump crumbs don't work it's time to dry them again.

Some have used a microwave for drying but I've never tried that.
    Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Sounds like most of your set-up is good.

One thing--Maybe---
      I never just let mine burn for 10 minutes:
      I light it & let the flame burn out after a few minutes.
      Then if the flame doesn't go out on it's own, I blow it out.
      Then I blow on the red hot coals down & in towards the bottom of the unburned pellets until it flames up on it's own again.
      Then I do other stuff & come back in 5 minutes or so, and do the same thing again.
      I might do this 3 or 4 times in 20 minutes, until I get a nice deep Cigar-like Cherry in the first 1 1/2" of the row.

Then I'll wait until the flame goes out, or blow it out before I put it in the Smoker.

Sounds like a PITA, but like I said, I'm doing other things too, so it's not like I'm only doing this for 20 minutes, and it's well worth it when the thing burns up to 11 hours without touching it again.

Also I keep mine dry in Screw-on Jugs, and haven't had one stop burning in years.

Bear
      Last edited by Bearcarver; 06-30-2017, 12:14 PM.
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have that problem with my original AMZN dust smoker. Smokes fine then quits. But Jailer is right, even if they're in a sealed bag you'd be surprised how much moisture they absorb still. I now microwave the dust for a bit before I use it. You'd be surprised how much steam comes out. Be careful though, I once did it on a plastic plate and wasn't paying attention and the dust caught fire and burned a hole in the plate! lol.

Also, I sometimes break up charcoal briquettes and add them in the maze at regular intervals to help it stay lit, like Jailer says.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Hi, Jailer, and thanks for the suggestions.

Mix some some small lump bits and pieces in with it. I keep the crumbs from the bottom of my lump bags for this.
          This is exactly what I have done in the past, and it has worked well; it brings the temperatures inside the enclosure raised a bit, but it does work. I will probably do this again.

Some have used a microwave for drying but I've never tried that.
          I have done this, with these particular pellets. Unfortunately, they are still going out.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hi, John -

I light it & let the flame burn out after a few minutes.
            Then if the flame doesn't go out on it's own, I blow it out.
            Then I blow on the red hot coals down & in towards the bottom of the unburned pellets until it flames up on it's own again.
            Then I do other stuff & come back in 5 minutes or so, and do the same thing again.
            I might do this 3 or 4 times in 20 minutes, until I get a nice deep Cigar-like Cherry in the fist 1 1/2" of the row.
            I will try this, as well; I've been doing a procedure that is similar, but not as thorough, so a few extra minutes of effort might save a lot of time re-lighting and so on.

Thanks!
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hi, Mike -

I now microwave the dust for a bit before I use it. You'd be surprised how much steam comes out. Be careful though, I once did it on a plastic plate and wasn't paying attention and the dust caught fire and burned a hole in the plate!
              Yessir - a lot of steam, indeed. I found that out when I did mine. I microwave them on a glass pie plate, and it gets extremely hot even on that.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hey Ron, I forgot to mention:
                I don't know what pellets you are using, but:

#1 I only use Pellets from Todd.
                #2 I quit using Cherry Pellets a few years ago. Even I have trouble keeping them burning. I think it's due to the natural oil content in Cherry wood---I saw it when I had my Cabinet Shop. So if I want to use Cherry I'll use Cherry Sawdust, instead of Pellets.

Bear
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

I too had an issue keeping the maze lit. I tried the charcoal pieces and bought charcoal pellets to assist in keeping the thing going. I also microwave the pellets just before adding them to the AMAZN smoker. I ended up getting a tube and gave the maze away. It works much better at my elevation (4000' ASL) than the maze did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                    x2 - Exactly what I do Also, after I get it lit and it burns a little I then cover the burning end of the AMAZN (or both ends if they are lit) with a few new pellets (on top the lit / charred pellets)
                    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                      I too had an issue keeping the maze lit. I tried the charcoal pieces and bought charcoal pellets to assist in keeping the thing going. I also microwave the pellets just before adding them to the AMAZN smoker. I ended up getting a tube and gave the maze away. It works much better at my elevation (4000' ASL) than the maze did.
                      This was also my experience, for me the tube (pellets) works hands down a lot better
                      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                      Weber 22.5" WSM
                      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      Pit Barrel Cooker
                      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                      The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                        Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                        This was also my experience, for me the tube (pellets) works hands down a lot better

Exactly!!
                        It seems those at higher Altitude (above 3000') have a problem with the AMNPS, and the Tube works better for them.

However those of us who live at lower Altitude have trouble keeping the Tube from putting out too much Smoke, and the AMNPS (Tray) works perfectly.

At least that seems to be true when using in MES units.

Bear

Comment

I keep mine in a plastic jar and microwave them a bit before burning. I use a torch to get them burning real good and let them burn for about five minutes. I then use a hair dryer to get the cherries red hot. I hate blowing on the pellets so that's where the hair dryer comes in. Works everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
                            I keep mine in a plastic jar and microwave them a bit before burning. I use a torch to get them burning real good and let them burn for about five minutes. I then use a hair dryer to get the cherries red hot. I hate blowing on the pellets so that's where the hair dryer comes in. Works everytime.

Yup---The best one I saw was similar---The guy goes from lighting with a torch to a Heat Gun---Really gets it going!!

I might have to go with a hair dryer soon---I have trouble getting that much wind with my COPD.
                            I had a Heat gun, but one of my Son's climbers must have borrowed it, and it never found it's way home. Probably in one of the 5 Tower Trucks!!

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Yup---The best one I saw was similar---The guy goes from lighting with a torch to a Heat Gun---Really gets it going!!

I might have to go with a hair dryer soon---I have trouble getting that much wind with my COPD.
                              I had a Heat gun, but one of my Son's climbers must have borrowed it, and it never found it's way home. Probably in one of the 5 Tower Trucks!!

Bear
                              I have that COPD also, daaam cigarettes, anyone reading this don't start, dumb dumb dumb! The problem with blowing on the pellets/dust is that smoke hit's my face and I start choking. I use a hair dryer on cool setting and a few feet away. You dont need a heat gun if you have a torch to get them started. Either way will work but my heat gun stay's at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X