Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Proofer Conversion

Hello fellow Smoke Lovers,

I have finally started on a conversion project after pondering several types of builds. I have obtained a full functioning InterMetro Food Proofer. The inside measurements of the cabinet are 56" high, 24" wide and 29" deep. It has two 675 watt heating elements inside of it. One is used to heat a water pan to control humidity and the other is used to heat the inside circulating air that is blown with a small squirrel cage fan. This fan can be run independently with out any of the heat sources on.

The cabinet is between 23 and 24 cubic feet. I have built 11 rack of regular mild steel expanded metal (Stainless was WAY to expensive) that are 18" x 24", so have 4752 sq inches of rack space if all are utilized. The unit will primarily be used for smoking jerky and sausage.

I have gone the 220v route, and have over 4000 watts of heating power inside. For the heating elements I went with two stove top burners. A 8" 2600 watt and a 6" 1500 watt. I know this is more than what is needed but will ensure quick warm ups and fast recoveries when the door gets opened. Plus If I do not insulate it right away I should easily still be able to smoke in cold temps. I have also confirmed there is already an existing 220v outlet in the building where the smoker will call home.

I am using an Auberins SMD-200 PID and a 40 amp SSR with a heat sink.

The door is insulated with Roxul and lined with aluminum to protect the polycarbonate window from the inside heat. The burners are installed and the control box mounted. Did a test run today and the controller worked great, set the temp. to 175 and slowly ramped up to it and held it there to within 1 to 2 degree +/-. All that is left is to cut the holes for the chimney and the air intakes and put in the permanent wiring to tidy up the electrical. Planning to have the first batch of jerky in it the beginning of January. I am anticipating setting my temps to about 190 to 200 when I am smoking.
    Very happy with how it works so far.
    Attached Files

That's awesome. Would that qualify as NSF and restaurant usage? Nice work.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
      That's awesome. Would that qualify as NSF and restaurant usage? Nice work.
      It would require an inspection and exception. But..prolly..unless ya get an arsehole for an inspector

Oh- welcome to smoked-Meat. Say hi in the intro section :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Err... well it maybe be different in Canuckia...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That would be perfect for a restaurant that didn't specialize in but served BBQ.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          Weber 22.5 kettle
          Smokin in the Smokies
          Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
          Jerry

Comment

Great looking build, please stop by the intro thread.

I will have to look at that PID, I like the looks of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              Great looking build, please stop by the intro thread.

I will have to look at that PID, I like the looks of that one.
              All of the controller components were purchased from Auberins except for the box which I sourced locally. They were great to deal with, very knowledgable and helpful as I contacted them several times throughout the build. I purchased the components as a DIY kit and did all of the assembly and wiring work myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledhead01 View Post
                All of the controller components were purchased from Auberins except for the box which I sourced locally. They were great to deal with, very knowledgable and helpful as I contacted them several times throughout the build. I purchased the components as a DIY kit and did all of the assembly and wiring work myself.
                Wireing and layout look great. I like auberins, a little more money but they back it up with great knowledge and support.

Did you wire the fan on a switch, temp or constant?

What did you do for an exhaust?

Comment

sounds like a brilliant unit.

I tend to do jerky around the 130-140 mark.
                  makes it more like jerky and less like plain cooked meat :-)

Given the insulation and 4000watts. You should be able to get way higher temps than 200 without any problems.

Just don't use the water bath.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thats a fine looking unit you built Sled
                    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Sled,
                      Welcome! That is AWESOME!! Love it! Some crazy good thinking and engineering on that bad boy.

Build fo sho!

Comment

nice build........and welcome
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Welcome aboard, that's a really good looking build.

Comment

Working...
                          X