Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The Barstool

The Barstool If You Drink It Or Brew It, This Is The Place To Post It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Newbie questions
Last Post: rexplex
Posted On: 02-19-2018
Replies: 7
Views: 65
0 What's the Thermometer Eyebrow For?
Last Post: DDave
Replies: 14
Views: 145
0 Cooks from this weekend
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 5
Views: 73
0 Hmmm
Last Post: DDave
Replies: 25
Views: 294
0 Hi there, folks.
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 5
Views: 44
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,575 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,358 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,406 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
Default Eggnog Recipe

I have been making this stuff for years since I saw Alton Brown's recipe. I have tried the commercial stuff and it definitely sux. It tastes like syrup. Nasty!

This stuff is pretty good. It has a great consistency and has some good body to it from the whipped egg whites. I guess you could use pasteurized eggs if you are concerned about raw eggs.

Ingredients

• 4 egg yolks
• 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
• 1 pint whole milk
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 3 ounces bourbon or to taste
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 4 egg whites*

Directions for uncooked

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.

Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved.

Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in a separate bowl of mixer and beat to soft peaks.

With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture.

Chill and serve.

If you don't want to drink raw eggs, here is a cooked version

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.

Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.

Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F.

Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.

With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

I love eggnog...thank you for your recipe. I'm totally making some of this for the weekend.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

You will like it. It is rich and creamy and I usually go a little heavy on the bourbon. I used Bulleit in my last batch.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:02 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post

I guess you could use pasteurized eggs if you are concerned about raw eggs.
Those with a sous vide setup... 135 for 75 mins pasteurizes eggs in their shell :{)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:58 AM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

thanks for the recipe!
Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

Gave some of this a go...good stuff! This will be my standard eggnog recipe from now on. (Note: Photos hosted on Amazon prime photos...it is so easy).

I doubled the recipe with a quart of milk and a pint of cream. I also used three different whiskeys that I thought would play nicely together.

Mixing it up...Fresh nutmeg is incredible.

Stiff peaks on the whites...

It was so good that I had to break out the Clark Griswold Christmas Vacation Moose mugs.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Meatasaurus

Nice job! This stuff is so easy to make you will never go back to the carton crap. It holds up nicely over time. I drank mine over a week's period and it was as good or better on the last day as it was on the first day.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Meatasaurus

Alton Brown also has an aged eggnog recipe that is similar. He says it is best after a few weeks or even months.

Ingredients

• 12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
• 1 pound sugar
• 1 pint half-n-half
• 1 pint whole milk
• 1 pint heavy cream
• 1 cup Jamaican rum
• 1 cup cognac
• 1 cup bourbon
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions

Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.

Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid "ribbon."

Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.

Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there's nothing that says you couldn't age it a year, but I've just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)

Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I made the other stuff yesterday with SV pasteurized eggs. Delicious, altho I would like a little more “body” to it. I’ll play with that. Mighta been the whites..not wanting to whip up well. Hmm. Regardless..yes! Worth the effort!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
It was so good that I had to break out the Clark Griswold Christmas Vacation Moose mugs.

Nice job NogDaddy
Old 01-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Meatasaurus

Yeah, if you get the whites to stiff peaks then mix into the rest it gives it a lot of body. In fact the whites will rise to the top as it sits for a while. I keep it in a jug and shake it up before serving.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
I made the other stuff yesterday with SV pasteurized eggs. Delicious, altho I would like a little more “body” to it. I’ll play with that. Mighta been the whites..not wanting to whip up well. Hmm. Regardless..yes! Worth the effort!
If you get stiff peaks, it does give a lot of body...I also have a jug in the fridge that I can shake up. I also think this would be an excellent homemade ice cream base.

I read in researching egg pasteurization that if you SV eggs, it makes whipping them to stiff peaks a little more challenging. It is a little more difficult, but a known issue that you can overcome.

Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 01-01-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
If you get stiff peaks, it does give a lot of body...I also have a jug in the fridge that I can shake up. I also think this would be an excellent homemade ice cream base.

I read in researching egg pasteurization that if you SV eggs, it makes whipping them to stiff peaks a little more challenging. It is a little more difficult, but a known issue that you can overcome.
now ya got me jacked up with the ice cream gig... then Louie said...how bout a pound cake! aight...my max gross takeoff weight! no Natty's for you!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Alton Brown also has an aged eggnog recipe that is similar. He says it is best after a few weeks or even months.
I was tempted to try the aged 'nog recipe this year, but as usual life got in the way. Maybe next year. If you try it definitely let us know how it is.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted88 View Post
then Louie said...how bout a pound cake! :
Oooo... Louie...I think you should do that deal.. Mmm
Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Didn't do the Nog gig this year... I love it, butt lots of naysayers in da house... drives me friggin nutz with their pallets sometimes...

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 12-30-2017, 06:11 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

I know I'm a bit late in the season...but I grabbed a quart of grocery store egg nog and fired it up with some Wild Turkey 101 and my Clarke Griswald moose mug...So tomorrow I'm laying in supplies to make some real deal AJ egg nog. YUM! again, cause I love this stuff.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Meatasaurus

Ohhh yeah! I made some of Alton Brown's Aged Egg Nog this year just before Thanksgiving. That stuff was a lot more potent. We go to our cabin for most holidays and I forgot the aged stuff in the fridge at home. So, I had to make a batch of the fresh stuff. I used Gentleman Jack this year. It was verrrry verrrry nice.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Nod for the eggnog fellas... yum!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The Barstool