Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerky Shootout - Hi Mountain vs Mad Hunky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky Shootout - Hi Mountain vs Mad Hunky.

Current Score:

Mad Hunky - 6 Hi Mountain - 4

Last Friday I was strolling through the supermarket, and I spotted some Hi Mountain Jerky Cure and Seasoning...Lightbulb went on! I have some Mad Hunky Jerky Cure and Seasoning, so how about a head to head shootout?

Here we go...
    I started with about $45.00 worth of Angus Top Round.

Partially froze and sliced with the grain this time...I kinda prefer that

Here are the combatants...

The Hi Mountain comes as two packets.

Now I gotta tell you that I was measuring this out and then realized I had measured out the wrong stuff...cure instead of seasoning. Then I had to backtrack and refigure to make sure that it was correct. The reason that I point this out is this...it is easy to mess up. How many times are you in the middle of concentrating on something and your wife yells from the other room and completely distracts you? The Hunky is one packet and you just dump it in...it is fool proof! The only suggestion that I have for the Hunky is this...how about having it in a pre-mixed form in bulk. Then you could have directions like "use 2 tablespoons per lb. of meat" or something like that. That way you can do any amount at any time.

This is what the Hi Mountain looked like

Used some of the Wife's wine...Now, the Hi Mountain just wants you to shake it on the meat...I like the use of wine as a carrier liquid, so I dissolved it in a cup of wine just like the Hunky.

Time for a nap

Hunky Jerky (smoked with some Cherry wood)

Hi Mountain getting a little cherry smoke. The Hi Mountain was Hickory, but after taking a nap, it had minimized to such an extent that I thought I should give it a little bit of smoke. It got a small amount of Cherry smoke as well. Both got Lump charcoal.

Hi Mountain Jerky

So, I bagged some samples up...sample A was Mad Hunky, Sample B was Hi Mountain, and I took them to work. Gave them to engineers, top management, machine operators, interns, and Accounting assistants. I asked for their feedback and here is what I got.

Thank you for participating in my jerky taste experiment. The samples were both made with jerky cure and season that I purchased. I wanted to see how the two compared, and want your feedback in the process. They are made from Angus Top Round and a quality red wine as a carrier liquid for the spice and cure. Please give me as much feedback as you can. I simply prepared the jerky by the instructions that came with the spice and cure and you will not hurt my feelings so if you have something you don’t like, please put it down! After all, this will influence how I prepare jerky in the future, and you may get to eat that as well, so you can see that your feedback is very valuable to me.

Sample A (Mad Hunky Jerky Cure and Seasoning)

Taste:
    1. Very Good
    3. Hint of Red wine shows through
    4. Best Flavor
    5. Good overall flavor and texture
    6. The flavor of this one was good, not as flavorful as B though
    8. Tastes like really good roast beef. Good moisture level and “chewiness”

Salt Level:

1. Could use a bit more
    3. Perfect
    4. Lower salt level on this sample…needs a little more.
    5. Could use a little more salt
    6. Both samples were good salt-wise, not too much , not too little
    8. Good, I really appreciate the salt being lower so you can actually taste the meat.

Smokiness:
    1. Perfect.
    3. Good smoke flavor
    4. I taste more smoke flavor – Very good
    5. Excellent
    6. Definitely a smokier flavor than the other. Great smoke flavor.
    8. Better on the smokiness…no aftertaste like sample B.

Spice:

1. A little mild.
    3. Needs more
    4. Could use a little more bite
    5. Light on spice – Would like a little more
    6. Could use more spice, I think.
    8. A little mild…but I do like a lot of spice.

Overall Impression
    1. Very Good
    2. This is Excellent!
    3. Good flavor
    4. Tastes good, I could eat a lot more.
    5. Store Quality Product
    6. I thought this one was slightly drier than B, mostly all smoke flavor, not enough spice.
    8. I really liked the flavor of this sample. Very well done.
    9. I Prefer this as it has fantastic flavor without punching you in the mouth with salt.

Sample B (Hi Mountain)

Taste:
    1. Good
    5. Good Overall Flavor and Texture
    6. I really enjoyed this taste, lots of different flavors but wasn’t overpowering.
    8. Good meaty flavor and not too dry, just the right amount of chew.

Salt Level:
    1. Could use a bit more
    3. Perfect
    4. Salt level is higher – I do like saltier jerky
    5. Perfect
    6. Both samples were good salt-wise, not too much , not too little
    8. Good, I really appreciate the salt being lower so you can actually taste the meat

Smokiness:
    1. Could use more to improve the taste
    3. More smoke flavor than sample A
    4. I like a smokier flavor
    5. Excellent
    6. Good
    8. Good initially…a hint of tangy after time in my mouth (after taste?)

Spice:
    1. A little mild.
    3. Mild
    4. Spicier than sample A
    5. Would have liked a little more heat
    6. 5 Stars
    8. Nice and mild…I personally would like more, but I like things pretty spicy.

Overall Impression
    1. Good
    2. I much prefer Sample A
    3. OK
    4. Tastes good.
    5. Very Tender and not chewy, better than store quality
    6. The flavor of this one was more complex & lasting. It was juicy and delicious, this is the perfect jerky!
    7. The biggest difference is the salt level, and this makes it appear to have more of a kick.
    8. Really very impressive, best homemade jerky I’ve ever eaten.
    9. Good Jerky, but overall too salty. That is the thing with Jerky as most just coat it in salt. If you can control that it makes a much better product.

Have you ever made Jerky Before?
    1. No, but I have eaten a lot…The texture of both are excellent!
    3. Yes
    6. HA HA Dana! (this is from Caitlin, our adorable 20 something Summer intern / assistant that is on break from College. She giggled and said yeah, I made jerky with the Elk that I killed with my bare hands as she turned and walked away).

If so, how does this compare to yours?
    3. Mine sucks compared to this!

What would you do differently
    3. Absolutely nothing.
    5. Pieces are a little on the thick side. Spice – I personally prefer bold flavors in my jerky, overall this is some solid stuff. I would buy this if it was available.
    8. Add a little more spice (not salt though, because that is spot on).

Of the two, I prefer: Sample A 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10 Sample B 5, 6, 7, 8

I am #10, and here are my thoughts. The Hi Mountain is way to salty. The Hickory powder that was in it leaves a tang in your mouth that one tester picked up on. It isnt as clean a taste. Most testers wanted more spice (Rich, this is where you come in). There is no question that both are much better than anything you could buy, as craft jerky is unbeatable, but in my book the Hunky has a better product.

I will continue to add to this as some additional input comes in (tomorrow), and I will bump it so you can see the current score that I have posted at the top of the thread.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

lookin forward to the final results, great post
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Excellent Thread Dana
      sigpic

Comment

Wow Hey-zues kee-ristmas! Well, what would I have been expecten from a trial by BBEngineer I suppose Intresting data... some of it's funny... as data can be...

I have heard both more spice and perfect.... a conundrum. Hard to please everyone.

I am pleased it got better reviews than the HM... as ALOT of people use that.

My issue with bulk... it's actually 'illegal" to ship the stuff like I do...mixed with cure. THe USDA requires seperate packaging...salt and cure in one package, spicing in another. Which to me..only begs for someone to mess up.... but - 'tis whut it 'tis

I will still offer the jerky cure here "off the record". and will step up the spice...Oh...10-15%.

Thank you for an exhaustive and comprehensive comparison!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man I love a good experiment. thanks BBE, I be looking forward to more data.
          sigpic

Comment

I would suggest perhaps adding in the instructions for the MH, if anyone wants spicier flavor, don't hesitate to add some crushed red pepper, cayenne, or other heat producing agents. I'm one who likes a little heat but not mouth blistering.

Sounds like a good and fair testing, Dana. Thanks for the review.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              I would suggest perhaps adding in the instructions for the MH, if anyone wants spicier flavor, don't hesitate to add some crushed red pepper, cayenne, or other heat producing agents. I'm one who likes a little heat but not mouth blistering.
              That's again..a tough one...as folks won't know till they try it as-is. Personally I add about a half teaspoon CBP per LB. And it lights it up pretty OK.

This mix is straight MH rub with cure.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

great trial - but what's with numbers 2 & 9. They use invisible ink or were just too busy stuffing jerky into their mouths to write anything
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Dana Im more than willing to be tester number 11...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    My issue with bulk... it's actually 'illegal" to ship the stuff like I do...mixed with cure. THe USDA requires seperate packaging...salt and cure in one package, spicing in another. Which to me..only begs for someone to mess up.... but - 'tis whut it 'tis
                    I didn't know that...I definitely like it as a single no mess it up package...like I said, I almost screwed up the 2 part system. Partly because I had to add the quantity for 2 lbs and then 3 lbs to make enough for my 5 lbs of meat...Then when I realized that I had the wrong packet to begin with...Son of a! It would be easy to screw it up.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    great trial - but what's with numbers 2 & 9. They use invisible ink or were just too busy stuffing jerky into their mouths to write anything
                    A couple people only filled in information that they wanted to but at the same time picked a winner based on legitimate information. Not every tester answered every question. See if they get to participate in any of my free food give away experiments...except #7, because he is the GM and my boss.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I'm probably going to need a sample myself before giving a real opinion.
                      Great post. for you Sir.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I'm probably going to need a sample myself before giving a real opinion.
                        Great post. for you Sir.
                        I think he is out of samples as I am also out of points

Definately a post worthy of points...engineer points that is
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          I think he is out of samples as I am also out of points

Definately a post worthy of points...engineer points that is
                          I got samples for you guys...you know that.

Comment

So the MH has jerky now? Or are u just using the MH rub and adding cure? If different then i need some!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                            Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Wow. Cool post! The jerky looks great. Can you tell me more about your "with the grain" slicing preference?

Comment

Working...
                              X