No announcement yet.

In need of new fire box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in texas . I don't want to drop much in to it, I did acquire it from a friend after he moved. I did find a (Char Griller Smoker Pro) for not a bad price ($200) . What do y'all think of those smokers?? This will be my first personal smoker purchase. I just smoke for me and my wife and poker nights for buddies nothing to insane. Mainly Ribs, Chicken and occasional Brisket. But i have been told i am pretty good!

Comment

The Char Griller Smoker Pro, Hondo, Charbroil Deluxe, and all of the other smokers like these are one in the same.. They all are made of less than flattering materials and they all need the same Mods to make them good efficient cookers.. If you are looking for a good inexpensive cooker then build yourself a UDS, you cannot go wrong there..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I'd quibble on the chargriller build quality.

had my outlaw coming on 10 years now. It lives outside unprotected in the english weather (think damp and then add rain :-). The exterior gets a half can of wd40 sprayed on it about 3 times a year. And is damn near as good as the day i got it.
        We had to make a new charcoal tray last year, and that's pretty much all that's needed doing.
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ghlight=outlaw

The castiron grills are starting to look a little worn, but I figure there's at least another 5 years left in them yet :-)

The wood shelving is still original and while worn, still pretty sturdy.
        I should have replaced the handle last year, but reached for the duct tape instead and that's still going strong :-)

Never bothered with the sfb, it was another £100 at the time and I didn't have the money.
        The outlaw is big enough to have a charcoal basket at one end and the meat at the other. Makes it about as efficient as a uds, but a lot more versatile.
        Occasionally I'll stick a tray over the charcoal as a heat deflector and cook stuff both ends If I'm cooking a lot.
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-30-2016, 07:10 AM.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by CrasyCarlos View Post
          I am in texas . I don't want to drop much in to it, I did acquire it from a friend after he moved. I did find a (Char Griller Smoker Pro) for not a bad price ($200) . What do y'all think of those smokers?? This will be my first personal smoker purchase. I just smoke for me and my wife and poker nights for buddies nothing to insane. Mainly Ribs, Chicken and occasional Brisket. But i have been told i am pretty good!
          I cooked for many years on my Chargriller Smokin Pro...It is an excellent smoker for the price...I did burn out the fire box and replaced it...Parts are readily available...Also changed out the grilling tray...At the time I was changing it back and forth from smoker to charcoal grill so it a very versatile cooker...However it does have it's problems like the very thin metal that it is made of...And the drafts and air leaks present a challenge in the Kansas winds...

When I bought and restored my Longhorn smoker I passed the CG to a young man who said he wanted to learn to smoke...He rarely uses it and I wish I had it back
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

When you say that the grill needs mods to become an efficient cooker what do you mean by that

Comment

When I'm not looking to cook for like competition BBQs anything like that. Just for buddies while we're drinking and for the family of course. I do like the positive responses about the grill and I'm really leaning towards buying it LOL

Comment

When you say that the grill needs mods to become an efficient cooker what do you mean by that
                HEre’s a start..

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice that does,not seem like much at all. I was already looking to extend exhaust inside and make a basket like that. Do you use the basket while burning wood in the firebox as well? Or just for lump charcoal?

Comment

Nice that does,not seem like much at all. I was already looking to extend exhaust inside and make a basket like that. Do you use the basket while burning wood in the firebox as well? Or just for lump charcoal?
                    You never burn just wood in those cookers. Well..I think one guy here does..but it’s not an easy thing to do. You use charcoal for the heat and a chunk er two of wood every now and then.

Thin Blue Smoke. Not white/grey smoke!
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Why does wood get too hot or something? To hard to regulate heat? . with my new braunfels smoker I always put just straight wood and never have a issue with temp cooks low and slow at 250-300 real nice

Comment

But - what color is your smoke?
                        I din’t say it can’t be done..I said it’s difficult. Try a charcoal/wood cook.

Comment

It is difficult to use a smoker as small as the Chargriller (or the NB that you have) as strictly wood fired...When the temp gets too high the only resort is to shut down the air flow which will give you bad smoke...A bed of charcoal (lump is preferred over briqs) with the addition of wood is the best way...You still, in my opinion, want the wood to "burn cleanly"...Smoldering wood makes bad smoke sometimes...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Ohh ok I under stand, the smoke the whole time is a nice light color. Never have I seen it yet dark cooking. Just on the initial start up of the fire. I will have to try the lump/wood mix when I get my grill in. I think I am going to order it tonight

Comment

Ohh ok I under stand, the smoke the whole time is a nice light color. Never have I seen it yet dark cooking. Just on the initial start up of the fire. I will have to try the lump/wood mix when I get my grill in. I think I am going to order it tonight
                              Good luck Carlos...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

With this grill is it necessary to get a Chimney Starter for the charcoal. Reason I'm asking is starting a fire in the Firebox going to shorten the life of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X