You deserve for that work and great tutorials w/pics
    20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
    22" webber
    several burners
    pool/spa (of course)
    sigpic

Comment

This is a great post & tutorial. Thank You. Today I started some stiff starter ... we'll see how this works out. Hate having to dump starter down the drain when I feed the liquid starter

Comment

I know what you mean about dumping all that extra starter out.. I still have to dump a little out now and then, but it's maybe 1/4 of a cup.
        Keep us posted how it works for you.
        "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by moselle View Post
          I know what you mean about dumping all that extra starter out.. I still have to dump a little out now and then, but it's maybe 1/4 of a cup.
          Keep us posted how it works for you.
          Went here to convert liquid to stiff starter

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/12/07/stiff-starter/

Comment

I like that site. Have you seen this http://www.sourdoughhome.com/downloads.html
            He has some Exel conversions that work really well. He has some good information too. Does a really good job explaining what is going on with the bacteria and yeast in sourdough starters.

Comment

I like that site. Have you seen this http://www.sourdoughhome.com/downloads.html
              He has some Exel conversions that work really well. He has some good information too. Does a really good job explaining what is going on with the bacteria and yeast in sourdough starters.
              Thank you ... I will definitly visit that site.

Comment

Fantastic tutorial Mo! filled in a bunch of blanks for me. And the final pic. wow!
                JT

Comment

good golly that looks good...
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Totally missed this last year! Great thread, Mo! Bread looks amazing!!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Thanks Becky.
                      This is a blast fromt he past huh?
                      Carl's still going strong!

Comment

dam, its a work of art... i can only imagine it still warm with some butter and honey on it!!! thks for sharing your technique. keep that bread coming!!!

guess hafta catch ya on reload, points police yano...
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Becky.
                          This is a blast fromt he past huh?
                          Carl's still going strong!
                          Mr. Whisky Fish brought it to my attention that it should be a sticky. And I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agreed, Mo. Beautiful post!

You people might make a baker of me yet...
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            You people might make a baker of me yet...
                            Thanks Rich.
                            I just posted a new thread just for you

Comment

Not sure how your starter does what it does ... bubbles and all. Mine just sits in a ball. The ball does get bigger, so something is happening in there. Guess I'll have to keep searching and find my problem.

Comment

ok, so I got some of the dehydrated Carl's a while ago and I tried getting it to start last night. Followed the directions to a T, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. I guess I could have gotten a bad batch, we'll see what it looks like when I get home tonight I guess.

Anyway, here's how it went down....

I took 1/2 tsp of the dehydrated starter and soaked it in about 1 Tbsp of luke warm water for 5 minutes or so. Then added 1 Tbsp of flour (bread flour to be exact), and about 2 more tsp of warm water to get it to the "thin pancake batter" consistency it said. I loosely put the lid on the glass jar it was in and set it on the counter.

About 2 hours later, when it was time for me to go to bed, I took a look, not much happened. It seemed like the water had separated from the flour, which had all sunk to the bottom, with a layer of clear water on top. I gave it a good shake and it mixed up really well, so I figured it just needed more time, so I put it on top of the fridge and went to bed.

This morning I took a look again. Still not much happening. Looked pretty much the same as last night, only maybe (maybe!) a little more volume. A few quick shakes stirred it up like last night. So I figured I'd just keep going... I transferred it to a bigger glass gar (Quart size) and added 1/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup flour. Stirred it all up good, covered with plastic wrap and put it back on top of the fridge.

So that's where I'm at now, we'll see what it looks like when I get home. Hopefully it's just a slow start, not dead. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong (if I did)?
                                Mike
                                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                                X