26'r First Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26'r First Butt

It is only pork butts but first ones on the 26'r. We are hosting a small superbowl party next Sunday and I've been waiting to have time to smoke some pork butts so I made time yesterday.

Generous coating of MH +BS the night before like always. Into foil plans and covered with plastic wrap.

IMG_0357.jpg

Decided to try out the snake method with apple chunks. I prepped everything the night before so I could just like it at 5:30 am the next day. Woke up at 5am and everything was good. Lit the snake with 12 briqs and only got to around 170 F so I went to go light more briqs and the baby wakes up. Didn't make it back out until almost 6:30. Temp came up to about 240 and I threw on the butts.

IMG_0356.jpg

I was very surprised how well temps held steady. Ran 260 - 280 pretty much the entire time. Mostly in the 260- 270 range. I assume it spiked to 280 when wood chunks ignited. I didn't open the lid until the temp dropped to 235 F and I assumed I was out of charcoal. Butts got 4.5 hrs on the 26'r. Would've been at least 5 had I added enough charcoal to start. Next time I think I will try a snake that is 2x2 instead of 2x1. Might have to slightly close bottom vent to keep temp where I want it but that'll hopefully let it burn longer.

IMG_0355.jpg

After getting smoke on the 26'r I put the butts in the propane smoker (no smoke, heat only) to finish them. That thing holds temp pretty well and this cook worked out well doing it this way. Butt on the lower rack was done at 10 hrs. Moved the other butt to the bottom rack at this point. It was about 20 degrees cooler. They were withing 5 deg of each other when pulled from the 26'r. 2nd butt was done at the 12 hr mark. Pulled some of the first butt for dinner. Rest is getting vac packed today for the party.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

All of my past cook the "liquid gold" scorched in the bottom of the foil pan in the propane smoker. This time tho....success!!

First butt had what seemed like a lot. Second one had less but enough to save. In the fridge a bit and removed the fat. Now in the freezer. The wife looked at me like the brown jelly was disgusting. Little does she know she will be eating that next Sunday.

IMG_0353.jpg

Obviously I will add some of the good stuff to the meat next weekend but I am also considering making a finishing sauce to mix in. I want to have the meat in a croc pot so it is warm and everyone can eat when they want. Any good recipes around here? Just looking for a finishing sauce to keep it moist. I am not a fan of mixing bbq sauce in with the meat. Everyone can add their own. I use almost zero sauce with my pulled pork while others will have some pork with their sauce.

Thanks for looking

Nice looking butts.

Comment

26'r First Butt

Nice!

Just some thoughts on the scorched liquid gold and bottom of pans.... Did you add any liquid to them when you put them on the propane cooker? Did you foil them? Maybe it was too close to the heat source withoot anything like liquid to help buffer it from the heat? Not criticizing, just trying to help you figure oot what happened and am curious as well. Oh, and rotating food and pans can help with hot spots on food/pans also. I finish butts in a big electric roaster oven with a cover, overnight with liquid at aboot 190*. I get sleep, butts pull easily. Just my system, others do differently

As far as serving goes, and finishing sauces go, do what you and your guests like IMO. Thinned oot SBR's with ACV is what most of my friends/family like best, put into a squirt bottle. Let's them control what goes on it. Another great option is SoFlaQuers finishing sauce on PP. I will try to find that link and attach it.

Last edited by Fishawn; 01-29-2018, 08:50 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Nice!

Just some thoughts on the scorched liquid gold and bottom of pans.... Did you add any liquid to them when you put them on the propane cooker? Did you foil them? Maybe it was too close to the heat source withoot anything like liquid to help buffer it from the heat? Not criticizing, just trying to help you figure oot what happened and am curious as well. Oh, and rotating food and pans can help with hot spots on food/pans also. I finish butts in a big electric roaster oven with a cover, overnight with liquid at aboot 190*. I get sleep, butts pull easily. Just my system, others do differently

As far as serving goes, and finishing sauces go, do what you and your guests like IMO. Thinned oot SBR's with ACV is what most of my friends/family like best, put into a squirt bottle. Let's them control what goes on it. Another great option is SoFlaQuers finishing sauce on PP. I will try to find that link and attach it.

I was not putting liquid in the pans when I did them in the propane smoker. I had thought about adding a little apple juice to the pans this time but there was a little liquid in the pans from the butts sitting over night so I didn't. I think that and the heat being a little more indirect on the 26'r helped. The heat being directly below everything even with the sand filled pan was just always too much heat for too long and it burned everything in the pan. That was why I wanted to experiment with adding a heat shield. I was thinking that may give more indirect heat even tho it is directly below. Might not but I'll try it. I plan to experiment with the snake to keep long cooks in the 26'r as long as I can but then use the propane unit to finish. I don't have a roaster and the propane unit holds temp nicely when you aren't always opening it to adds wood chunks.

I always have SBR since that is what everyone seems to like most that frequents our parties. I was just worried about drying the pork out without something in the slow cooker to keep it moist. I see some finishing sauce recipes that look tasty but maybe something like a water/apple juice/MH mixture would be simple and effective. Not looking to add too much flavor, just trying to avoid serving a croc pot full of pork jerky.

Comment

Well that was a success. Reheated the vacbags in a pot of water and added to a croc pot. While the bags were heating I added a mixture of apple juice, ACV, onion/garlic powder, and black pepper. Added less than a cup to 3.5 lbs of meat. Didn't noticably alter taste and meat was moist.

I also made a batch of the Rudys BBQ sauce I found on here. That was real good stuff. Nice mild flavor and not candy sweet. I'm a fan.

For fun I also made shrimp using the Cajun recipe that's been showing up here. Mixed up the sauce and marinated in bags. Skewered and grilled with a chunk of apple wood. Will be doing that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice! Yeah, PP is really a star in the re-heat dep’t done that way. Really no reason to bust your ass all night the day before a party... just do it when ya got time and pack it away.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks great from here!
              jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Try this method: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44198

I guarontee it will treat you right... And no, I am not trying to hijack a thread here...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

looks great man!!!

I have had great success using Mad Hunky's split butt method...
                  (Sticky in pork section)
                  mucho quicker...
                  ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                  ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Working...
                  X