Quick question about wood rails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about wood rails.

I have a couple other threads on here about other questions about my fridge build.

Today I picked up 4 oven racks from a local recycle yard, for 2 bucks.

I was gonna use aluminum angle iron but I am thinking of using 1"x2" kiln dried wood strips.

Save money and wood is pretty much wood safe right?

Thanks
    Corby

Wood is fine. Use oak or hickory. Hard maple if you can't find any thing else. Long ago all smoke shacks were made of wood. :)
    Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Originally posted by whitey View Post
      Long ago all smoke shacks were made of wood. :)
      And some of them even rotted out. As opposed to burning up
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

aluminum angle is cheap...plus the cleaning or whatever over wood...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

use black iron and season it like cast iron,,, That's what I did on my fridge build,, for my racks I used expanded metal,,,, Oven racks will work great,,, I did my expanded metal so if I did anything small like jerky or ABT's I can put them right on the rack,, Nice score on the racks!!

I use hard wood dowels for my snack sticks and no problem

Let us know how it turns out!! Good luck on your build.

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS
          Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
          1930 Fridge Build
          MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
          Therma Pen
          Maverick 732
          Mini Therma Pen
          Frog Mats
          Weber Junior
          AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

I would stick to the alum and slot them for easy removal and cleaning.

Some nasties can built up between the wall and the shelf support.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              I would stick to the alum and slot them for easy removal and cleaning.

Some nasties can built up between the wall and the shelf support.
              Good thoughts... wood not so much a good idea...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Wood would work but..go back to the scrap yard and get some alum tube..the square stuff.. prolly miles of it there..for pennies.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I actually bought some stuff to get started today but real life money problems got in the way, so I wasn't able to get everything.

But, I am gonna start tearing into it tomorrow. I got 2 more racks today for a dollar today. Went to the muffler shop and got 2 awesome pieces of scrap 3" pipe, 1 for a killer stack and the other for my cold smoke generator. I also scored a couple tubes of high temp sealant for 2 bucks RTV or whatever it is called.

As far as the rails go I will probably go with angle aluminum.

I will try to get some pics before I start tomorrow.

Thanks all
                  Corby
                  Last edited by Corbylove; 08-03-2016, 11:30 PM.

Comment

K well it does not have to wait til tomorrow I have these 2 pics on my phone I forgot about:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Finally starting tear down.

Ok so I'm finally going to be starting the tear down phase tomorrow.

Question I have concerns about is the fresh air intake holes. Would 3 1" holes with the ball cock valve be enough or too much? And should the holes be on the opposite side of the fridge as the cold smoke generator?

Thx
                      Corby
                      Last edited by Corbylove; 08-06-2016, 03:07 AM. Reason: Messed up

Comment

Working...
                      X