Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redneck Bar Fire Crackers - another use for Smitty's Spice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah.. you got some hot flakes there. 50 HU’s is 50,000 Scovilles I use 60 in the HAW... it don’t take much to light it up
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

• Here's another version with pretzels. I may have even put some Smitty's in these . They keep very well and they are good.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44271
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

• Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Yeah.. you got some hot flakes there. 50 HU’s is 50,000 Scovilles I use 60 in the HAW... it don’t take much to light it up
        Good to know Rich - I was wondering what was going on I like a little heat but that got downright hellacious HOT! On second look I may have used too much for 1/2 or 3/4 batch to begin with...
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
          Good to know Rich - I was wondering what was going on I like a little heat but that got downright hellacious HOT! On second look I may have used too much for 1/2 or 3/4 batch to begin with...
          it looks like you may have doubled the crushed red pepper for the size of batch you made, and you have some hot crushed red pepper to begin with.

I looked up the typical heat of crushed red pepper, and this link says that 50 is the upper end of heat with 15-30 much more common.

From this webpage

Again, it depends on the chilies used in the mix, but with cayenne being a typical staple, you’ll get a heat somewhere in the 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville heat unit range. That’s 6 to 10 times hotter than a normal jalapeño on the Scoville scale. Depending on the quantity of cayenne used and the other chilies in mix, the heat unit range for typical commercial hot pepper flakes can be lower, too – 15,000 to 30,000 SHU is often the case.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            it looks like you may have doubled the crushed red pepper for the size of batch you made, and you have some hot crushed red pepper to begin with.

I looked up the typical heat of crushed red pepper, and this link says that 50 is the upper end of heat with 15-30 much more common.

From this webpage

Again, it depends on the chilies used in the mix, but with cayenne being a typical staple, you’ll get a heat somewhere in the 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville heat unit range. That’s 6 to 10 times hotter than a normal jalapeño on the Scoville scale. Depending on the quantity of cayenne used and the other chilies in mix, the heat unit range for typical commercial hot pepper flakes can be lower, too – 15,000 to 30,000 SHU is often the case.
            Looks like I need to pay more attention Thanks for looking that info up BBQ!
            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

• Round 2

Ok - went for another batch of these: Once again (2) sleeves saltines and the rest of the box of large cheeze-its.

3/4 C. OO & 1/4 C. butter (going to increase this 1-1/4 C)
              (2) TBSP MHHW, ranch packet,
              (1) TBSP MHGP,
              (1) tsp. Smitty's

No ground red pepper flakes this time Heck of a lot milder but I think I'll go with 1/2 TBSP pepper flakes next time just to kick up the heat a bit and it would be real close to most of the other posts. Might try some ground chipotle peppers as well and a variety of crackers.
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

• I have found that if I run the crushed red pepper through the spice grinder a little, it works better and is more evenly distributed on the crackers. Not enough to make powder, just want to break it into smaller pieces.
                Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

• Bump for the Holidays
                  sigpic

Comment

• Guy at work came in with a giant bag of those yesterday...he previously tried mine and loved the hot whang and smitty's combo so much that he bought those two spices just for making these crackers. Yup...they were GOOD!!
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

• If there is anybody out there who has *NOT* tried these, you just don't know what you are missing. Super easy to make, and OMG they will be the hit of any party or office group you take them to. You can dial up the heat or dial it back as desired by the amount or type of pepper spice you use so it can be tweaked for any audience as needed.

Thanks for posting this years ago and bumping the thread. It is Redneck Bar Firecracker season again!!!!
                      Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

• These are Really good and as much as it pains me to admit, I did meet someone who actually screwed them up
                        Pete
                        Large BGE
                        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

• Seasonal bump
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Seasonal bump
                            Unfortunately, there is...in keeping with the year so far... no Smitty’s for 2020. I feel he will be back with a vengeance for the New World Order.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

• Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Unfortunately, there is...in keeping with the year so far... no Smitty’s for 2020.
                              Understood. Gardening SUCKED this year.
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                                Understood. Gardening SUCKED this year.

Really? And that is the end of your list... Life in 2020 must be good for you in KS..
                                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                                X