X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECB Gourmet Mods, Second shelf, etc.

THIRD RACK i should say............

first found half way between the top and bottom rack screws

i used 1/4 20 bolts and nuts, 2 inches long. This pic shows the bolts and the second tray in place

and this shot with all three racks in place

this way, i can do abts, burgers, bacon with all the extra space

next is a quick way to do a mod. minion method

i saw in a post over the weekend a mention of the modified minion method.....so i got to thinking how i could apply it to my ecb gourmet.......can't find any expanded metal at home depot, lowes, or menards to make a basket with a space in it, so there is a break in the ring of charchol.........

then this idea hit me...........so to speak, like a ton of bricks........BWHAHAHAHAHA

fits perfect, to the middle of the pan, and if its not tall enuff, i will add a brick on top.........PLUS the added benifit of being a thermal mass, so heat recovery won't take as long..........
    Last edited by Walking Dude; 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

That seems like it will work. Let me make sure if I understand you correctly. The brick will cause the fire to burn in a circular path if lit on only one side of the brick, right? This is different from putting a ring of unlit charcoal around a lit pile in the center. (Minion Method)

I have a similar style smoker, and I used a one pound-sized coffee can that was open on both ends. I put the can in the center of the fire pan and poured unlit charcoal all around the outside of the can to make an unlit charcoal ring. Last, I filled the coffee can full of lit, gray coals and then lifted the coffee can out. Is that the traditional Minion Method?

I can see how your brick method could extend the burn time in the same way. With the added thermal mass

This may be a newbie question here what is an ECB? I am guessing it is a bullet-type smoker, but I can't figure out the acronym.
    Last edited by jetmek; 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling errors.

Comment

ECB aka El Cheapo Brinkmann
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Hey Dude, whats up these days other than the heat and modding the ECB?

The brick should be just fine, I did it that way a few times when I converted mine from electric over to charcoal also. Worked for me. How do you lift the grates out when they are full of food?

I modded my ECG gourmet a little more than the fuel conversion. Where the big hole was for the element to stick through I put a ball valve there. Then I also added a 6" extension top so I could fit a good size turkey bird up there or add another rack. I cut a piece of metal out of a 55 gal drum, the metal is thicker on this addition than the ECB metal. Haven't gotten around to adding the second rack yet. But that extra added space sure makes doing beer can chicken a little easier.

Also drilled a hole for the thermo probe wires. Put a 3" exhaust on it and ducted it down to the rack. Sealed the edges around the 6" extension.

OK WD, thats enough for now. Watch out for this heat wave, drink lots of water man and fire up that ECB and get the TSB going and a great Q supper on the table.
        sigpic

Comment

I made another mod on my old ECB Deluxe where I took a piece of wire grate mesh and rolled the corners to fit, and stand on, to raise it up a bit and help keep the coals from smothering.
          sigpic

Comment

I use a lil smokey grate, with bolts nuts and washers to hold the fire offa the bottom.

Also, on the brick...........i now stand it on edge........give more space for the charcoal.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

By golly Steve, great to see ya
              sigpic

Comment

Another WD sighting...

The same brick trick has made my ECB gourmet a working smoker...That and the Stubbs charcoal...Lump and kingsfords both just ran too hot...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X